10 hours ago, brickless_kiwi said:

I just googled a bin lift truck and threw it into Sariels Scaler so a length of 40 studs for the bin is about right, if you Google Lego scissor lifts these guys are certainly getting

the movement you need https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u84O-62PWoc its a well executed design...

I also used Sariel"s scaler for my model, really a great tool.

7 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

Both garbage trucks I made used a scissors system which worked great. See what you can do to add it in to your truck. 

Thanks for the tip on the scissor lifts. I actually tried that approach initially but could not fit it in the available space. I then went with a lever mechanism which is the current design.

I'll give it another try with the scissor again, some other arrangement came into mind. It would be great if I could extend the ejector completely.

3 hours ago, Minique85 said:

I also used Sariel"s scaler for my model, really a great tool.

Thanks for the tip on the scissor lifts. I actually tried that approach initially but could not fit it in the available space. I then went with a lever mechanism which is the current design.

I'll give it another try with the scissor again, some other arrangement came into mind. It would be great if I could extend the ejector completely.

After looking at your design a little closer, could you have the ejector plate placed under the ramp, rather than have the ejector plate be the ramp? It would mean your ejector plate would not go the full height of the interior, but it would allow you a little more space to incorporate a scissors extender.  

8 hours ago, Thirdwigg said:

After looking at your design a little closer, could you have the ejector plate placed under the ramp, rather than have the ejector plate be the ramp? It would mean your ejector plate would not go the full height of the interior, but it would allow you a little more space to incorporate a scissors extender.  

Interesting idea, the current mechanism pushes the Base of the ejector and therefore relies on that space.

Following the remarks yesterday,  I reconsidered the scissor approach and made a quick one to check the concept, it may work but I got to try. Unfortunately I have limited time till next week, I'll post an update as soon as I have something. 

Thanks again for the suggestions, it helps!:thumbup:

This looks like a really cool truck, great work on all the functions.

Here is an update finally on the progress. I really wish I could post more often but time is limited.

After playing around for a week with scissor mechanism, I then switched to a different solution.

In principal, the scissor mechanism was working well. I was using 9 studs long liftarms and got the exact linear distance required, all fitting in the limited space below the ejector ramp. However, after fitting the body work, it was not reliable enough. Due to some sideway force coming from the action, it had the tendency to jam easily in the first 2cm of extension. The end of the liftarms would get stuck into a groove in the panel, or a gap between liftarms, and nothing would move anymore. This was happening two often (around 50%). I tried various fixes but to no avail. The body needed rework to remove all grooves and then the complete outlook was just not nice anymore.

I also tried with shorter liftarms. No more jams, but too much game in the lego pieces meant it was not retracting all the way, so that solution was abandoned as well.

In the end, I went with an improved version of my lever mechanism which now provides the right extension, see pic below (after a lot of fiddling around *huh*). This project is tested by my young one and needs to work well...

800x634.jpg

I also added some details in the cabin and switched to a small steering wheel (feels better to me, although I wish I had an intermediate size).

800x533.jpg

I added some cover around the pneumatic valves as well. I feel that it should extend all the way bellow the battery box, any thoughts to improve that look?

800x533.jpg

I welcome any tips! Thanks.

Edited by Minique85
Change of picture path.

7 hours ago, Kumbbl said:

Awesome! I like it a lot. 

May i ask you if you would make Instructions later on?

Thanks! I am planning to digitalize it in LDD and share it on Rebrickable.

On 10/24/2016 at 5:19 AM, Kumbbl said:

Awesome! I like it a lot. 

May i ask you if you would make Instructions later on?

Digitalisation is complete. I submitted it to Rebrickable. It was quite a challenge to put in LDD, but I hope I made it properly. Only issue, no pneumatic, so the cylinders are placeholder assemblies and no piping. Hopefully the pictures on my Bricksafe accounts are enough to see how it goes.

640x351.jpg