Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

[SoNE Ep. XII] R10 - Fleshing Out the Problem

See the rest of the story:
Season 1
Season 2

28996017411_1c068ea79c_t.jpg MKJoshA, Kale, are you there?

28996021991_6fae9ae496_n.jpg Yes, we're here.

28996017411_1c068ea79c_t.jpg Hold on, your picture isn't coming through right.

28996020781_b6d83222c8_n.jpg

28996018481_65c0051d9f_n.jpg

28996017411_1c068ea79c_t.jpg Ah, there we go. My color balance was off. I need you two to go to Tatooine and investigate the X-wing that fired on Luke to see if we can learn anything more about this saboteur.

PLEASE NOTE! The following picture is the "First Picture" for my contest entry and it includes the seed part. The previous pictures were for story sake and should not be counted in the entry.

28454697593_512ae7178e_c.jpg

"You there," asked Josh, "droids. What can you tell us about this X-wing?"

28996013931_0e2c502c61_c.jpg

"Oh my!" responded the protocal droid. "I'm afraid there has been obvious signs of tampering."

28454695753_8379d8157f_c.jpg

"The technicians are still dismantlement the circuitry," he continued.

28996011691_16e3ec2873_c.jpg

"But it seems that certain parts were used that are only manufactured on Coruscant" he finished.

28996005851_43fe206766_c.jpg

"Thank you for the information," said Josh. "Now let's finish the investigation of the circuitry and see if we can flesh out any more details."

OoC: Yes, I have gone to the darkside and I have converted to fleshies. I made this decision after chatting with Rogue Angel at Brickworld, Chicago. Every other kind of build of mine will continue to use yellows, but it just makes sense to use fleshies in my Star Wars builds now. I had no idea LucasLaughing was going to do the same thing! I'm really happy with the heads I found to replace my character's old yellow heads. My character is Will Turner's and Kale's is Superman/Hyperion's. Let me know what you think!

Awesome stuff! I just hope yellow heads are not frowned upon from now on :D

No, Aland, I'm sticking with them as well!

Man you did a fantastic job on this scene! The greebles on the wall are very intricate and also on the starfighter. The structure is also well detailed with the color variation and overall design. All around awesome stuff man.

Great scene with an insane amount of greebling details! And I shall continue to use yellow heads. I'm just not a fan of the fleshies.

Hell, it's about time! I see SoNE did put some sense into you yellow-bellied lovers :) ... just admit it, that SW MOCs look so much better in flesh!

It's nice to see your builds are getting more and more complex and detailed. The archway looks really nice and gives the right impression of a bigger building that is a vessel parking. I also like the minifigs combos ... I'm not too sure about dark orange though, maybe dark tan would fit Tatooine better, but it's nice to see a different approach. The inner walls are nicely detailed with the greeble, which for my taste looks a bit too disconnected. As if it was split into 1x2 modules that sit there each for their own reason and does not work as one bigger machinery. Maybe using some bigger tiles, different orientation for those 1x2 pieces and some pipes being connected by all going in the same direction would work better. Also using just one instance of gray as well as adding some height difference of tiles makes it look more like one huge piece.

But my biggest concern is the base of your MOC. There's nothing wrong with using baseplates. Sometimes we just need a plain straight surface. You could even skip most of the plates stuck onto it to gain some level difference if you would lift everything up a bit. Not necessarily by snoting the floor with 2xN bricks but you could create a border for your base to make it thicker. The other way would be using plates and some wedge plates to get a base that is not just a plain square. Even if it's not an event display MOC and "just" a SoNE freebuild I think that proper base gives so much to a whole finished look of a creation.

Keep up the good work and sorry for my innivitable criticism! :)

Thank you all! I still have a found love for yellows and will be using them in all my other non-licensed builds. I fully support those who still go the yellow route!

Hell, it's about time! I see SoNE did put some sense into you yellow-bellied lovers :) ... just admit it, that SW MOCs look so much better in flesh!

It's nice to see your builds are getting more and more complex and detailed. The archway looks really nice and gives the right impression of a bigger building that is a vessel parking. I also like the minifigs combos ... I'm not too sure about dark orange though, maybe dark tan would fit Tatooine better, but it's nice to see a different approach. The inner walls are nicely detailed with the greeble, which for my taste looks a bit too disconnected. As if it was split into 1x2 modules that sit there each for their own reason and does not work as one bigger machinery. Maybe using some bigger tiles, different orientation for those 1x2 pieces and some pipes being connected by all going in the same direction would work better. Also using just one instance of gray as well as adding some height difference of tiles makes it look more like one huge piece.

But my biggest concern is the base of your MOC. There's nothing wrong with using baseplates. Sometimes we just need a plain straight surface. You could even skip most of the plates stuck onto it to gain some level difference if you would lift everything up a bit. Not necessarily by snoting the floor with 2xN bricks but you could create a border for your base to make it thicker. The other way would be using plates and some wedge plates to get a base that is not just a plain square. Even if it's not an event display MOC and "just" a SoNE freebuild I think that proper base gives so much to a whole finished look of a creation.

Keep up the good work and sorry for my innivitable criticism! :)

Good to see you back around here MstrOfPppts! And thank you for the feedback. I chose to use dark orange because I had so many of those arches laying around. As for a base, you make some good points there. I'll keep that in mind :classic:

Whoops. Looks like my "I" key got stuck there. Thanks for catching that!

I like the dark orange, makes it look a bit different and works well with the tan. Good to see your character cured of whatever was making him all yellow!

Hah, great minds think alike, although I think your method of handling the 'transition' was much better than my abrupt switch. I'm also jealous that you found such good matches for your characters' heads :classic:

I like your take on the X-wing, and the whole hanger has a nice Star Warsy vibe. I also like the 'random' dark orange bits sticking out of the walls, but I think having more of a color pattern around the archways might have tied everything together a bit more.

*slow clap* that intro was on point! I don't think there's a better way of transitioning the skin tones then how you just did it. I may or may not have said on more secure channels, excellent build! The greebling is fantastic! 

I'm not too keen on the X-wing's cockpit myself but it fits the more curved slopes you have going on with the wings. Besides that the X-Wing is well done, far beyond anything I would be capable of doing!