Just now, Samer said:

True. I have a plan to replace them with M motors if that works. Otherwise they have to stay, no better place but they will be covered by the rest of the build.

Maybe stacking black beams to cover them would look okay.

I am liking the way this is finishing up. I like the coverings with panels and the exposed mechanics.

I would go with the curve roof, as it will match the look of the train a little better.

I hope the four pumps work well.

On 10/14/2016 at 6:54 PM, JJ2 said:

Maybe stacking black beams to cover them would look okay.

Not only this. I have a plan for realistic sides which will hide the motors as a side effect. I hope you will like it.

On 10/14/2016 at 7:00 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I am liking the way this is finishing up. I like the coverings with panels and the exposed mechanics.

I would go with the curve roof, as it will match the look of the train a little better.

I hope the four pumps work well.

Thanks. Yes I like the Locomotive as it is one of the best machines that have exposed mechanism. I also agree about the roof. I will try to enhance the build continuously until the contest is closed . 

Edited by Samer

Hi Everybody. Please check my entry in the Entry Topic for the final model and don't forget to VOTE! :thumbup:

To continue previous discussions in general I tried using 5 small pumps but even that would not equal the pressure of a single large manual pump. I tried first to use 2 compressors but the parts became unmanageable (espeically 2 battery boxes  *huh*) given the scale of the model and if continued the model would have been so ugly. So what I did to acheive best pressure acheivable using a single compressor is this:

800x450.jpg

After so many trials I think this is what can convert maximum LEGO battery box juice to air pressure. It also  gave me nice and smooth performance as seen in the video ( I also managed to totally hide the XL motors using the above configuration. I later tried to enhance the looks using some parts from Bricklink and also added a headlight.

It was a joy being in this contest and thanks to all who encouraged, liked, interacted and visited this page. Cheers!

Very interesting to have followed your thoughts and struggles with the implementation, but the result is there! 

For the video it would have been interesting to have a shot from above while riding so that you can see the movement of the two cilinders.

Good luck!

This is a top view as requested. Another video is also added to demonstrate the result of manual pumping. I used a bike pump as I don't have several manual LEGO pumps. Of course man muscle power is way higher than LEGO motors power.