Jim

[TC10] Technic Pneumatic Contest - Information Topic

so I'll ask again, what about wrapping the pneumatic cylinders with a colored sticker? in order to change the color of them.,..

so I'll ask again, what about wrapping the pneumatic cylinders with a colored sticker? in order to change the color of them.,..

Unless it's an official Lego sticker I don't think that would be allowed.

Unless it's an official Lego sticker I don't think that would be allowed.

Actually custom stickers are allowed. So I'm okay with it, although I don't think it's necessary.

Every MOC is better with stickers and get them it has nothing to do with building skills IMO. What is the difference between stickers and painted pieces?, I think it will be the next question.

So presumably you can have as many motorised functions as you like - so long as the motor is a pneumatic engine! (NB this is probably a bad idea - I'd be surprised if the torque you can get out of a LPE powered by a LEGO compressor is anything to write home about. But it'd be cool nonetheless)

Also presumably you can use cotton (under the "3rd party string is permitted" rule) to tie the springs compressed in the hand pump, rather than removing the springs entirely.

I'm looking forward to being able to participate in this one.

Owen.

P.S. The rules as they currently are say that the deadline is "Sunday 31st of October, 2016". My calendar says that this date is a Monday.

Using stickers should have some general rules too.

For example

*stickers should only cover one piece

*stickers perfectly stick on the surface but should be easily applicable, 100% of the sticker should stick to the surface (I don't know how to phrase it. Simply don't wrap pieces into stickers, don't hide holes with stickers, etc.) and the sticker shouldn't cover the small fillet (radius) of the part's edges.

*point 1 and 2 rules out the practice to cover more pieces and cut the sticker after applying it.

*a sticker should not cover another sticker or itself (no wrapping around a part.)

*a sticker should not define the looks significantly. The model should look complete and good without stickers too.

Or something.

Edited by Lipko

P.S. The rules as they currently are say that the deadline is "Sunday 31st of October, 2016". My calendar says that this date is a Monday.

You are right. My bad. I will correct it.

I would like to be in pneumatic contest to

Welcome to EB and welcome to the contest. Start building something and you are good to go :thumbup:

Every MOC is better with stickers and get them it has nothing to do with building skills IMO. What is the difference between stickers and painted pieces?, I think it will be the next question.

We've allowed custom stickers in the past, which didn't result in better models.

I have checked and NONE of the Top-3 winners ever used stickers, so I rest my case.

Before this contest I was really skeptical about pneumatics, but my opinion is changing. It seems to be a very versatile system with great possibilities. The tubing may be a problem sometimes, but doesn't present any impossible challenge

The tubing may be a problem sometimes, but doesn't present any impossible challenge

Personally I love routing tubing. Not sure why, but I think its a good challenge

Before this contest I was really skeptical about pneumatics, but my opinion is changing. It seems to be a very versatile system with great possibilities. The tubing may be a problem sometimes, but doesn't present any impossible challenge

Yeah, i like PF very much (especially after servo), but nothing can beat that pressured air whistle-sound when you operate pneumatics.

We will be enjoying that sound a lot after all the participant post their entries!

Howdy folks, I did some searching, and I have found a place that is not an Ebay store, where you can get some Lego compatible pneumatic tubing. Philo actually discovered this stuff.

Versilic Tubing.

It's available on Amazon, under science, and lab supplies, and there are many lengths available. What you are after is the tubing that is 1/8 inch(4mm) Outside diameter, and 1/16 inch(2mm) Inside diameter. You can get 50 feet for only $30 US, which is a pretty spiffy deal. This is particularly relevant now, because we are having a pneumatic contest running now, so some people might need it.

I'm cross posting this with some other threads, namely the Parts discussion thread. I think this will help a lot of people.

Interesting to watch, how ideas are reserved :classic: while I'm still working on my x-bow.

I have now two ideas, and both are not vehicles :tongue:

I've build a nice compressor (with a regulator) but I'm struggling to make anything with pneumatic cylinders that wouldn't be better with LA's (or servos).

I just build 42053, with the PF upgrade it takes 4 seconds to raise the boom and about 0.4 seconds to drop it.

I've build a nice compressor (with a regulator) but I'm struggling to make anything with pneumatic cylinders that wouldn't be better with LA's (or servos).

I just build 42053, with the PF upgrade it takes 4 seconds to raise the boom and about 0.4 seconds to drop it.

I haven't used the v2 pneumatics, but the old ones worked fine raising and lowering things. You just need some practice in handling the controls, the switches are not just on/off like buttons for electric motors. If you've ever driven a real wheel loader it's pretty much the same deal, if you open the hydraulic valves fully the bucket drops like a stone.

I've read that the newer pneumatic switches are stiffer than the old, so it might be harder to partially open the valves.

Edited by Klirre

I haven't used the v2 pneumatics, but the old ones worked fine raising and lowering things. You just need some practice in handling the controls, the switches are not just on/off like buttons for electric motors. If you've ever driven a real wheel loader it's pretty much the same deal, if you open the hydraulic valves fully the bucket drops like a stone.

I've read that the newer pneumatic switches are stiffer than the old, so it might be harder to partially open the valves.

yes the new valves are stiff but precise controll does work

One of the methods is to extend switch's lever with lets say, another axle. That way it can be achieved much better precision.

Hi, I'm back again with another rules related question.

The rules clearly state that 3rd party string is allowed, but how about small cable ties to tidy up the pneumatic hoses? If they aren't allowed, may I tie the hose with string instead?

...but how about small cable ties to tidy up the pneumatic hoses?

Nope, sorry.

If you really need to tidy up umbillical hoses (hoses to a handheld controller of some sort) we're cool with using strings, cables or tiewraps. But ONLY for umbillical hoses, NOT on the model itself.

But I definitely prefer a LEGO based solution.

If they aren't allowed, may I tie the hose with string instead?

How about tidying up with regular LEGO parts?

A well executed LEGO based solution might get you more votes. Just sayin :wink:

Right, I'll have to find a way to do it with lego then. I was just wondering since it would look better with cable ties.

Sure, a lego solution might bring more votes, but I think I'm way in over my head if I'm trying to win. After seeing brilliant ideas like the flight sim I believe my trailer will look boring and too simple among the more unusual ideas.

I don't mind participating though, since the contest inspired me to start designing and building again :)

Edited by Klirre

A quick question. In the rules, it says that electronics such as MINDSTORMS aren't allowed. But elsewhere in the rules it says I can use any type of motor, as long as it's operating a pump. Would it be ok for me to use EV3 Large motors to power my pump since I have very few PF motors. The EV3 motors wouldn't be used to do anything other than run at full power to power the pump.