Jim

[TC10] Technic Pneumatic Contest - Information Topic

I think it is easier to set the rule: the pneumatic function(s) should handle the key feature(s) on the model. So a supercar with a pneumatic spoiler is out. A forklift where the lift is done with pneumatics is in. I think this should give the same result as the Sbrick contest where models were still mainly RC only here it will be mainly pneumatic.

Excellent argument. I think we will need to tackle this during the voting period. Let's keep the current setup (no limits) and maybe I will change something in the voting process.

The pneumatic function(s) should handle the key feature(s) on the model.

You can enter with any pneumatic model, but voting will be based on this criterium.

Jim ... The left-field model I'm thinking of only has a single pneumatic function and may possibly have a second non-pneumatic function if I can work it out

See my previous comment. I think you will be okay :thumbup:

Lets just use common sense.

Because just after this is established, next question will be: "what is function?" "define function". And we are at the square one.

edit: after post 154, my post 155, is irrelevant. I could not agree more.

Edited by J_C

I don't get all this hassle over the rules.

If a model is considered a good model in the spirit of a compo, it gets votes. If it's somehow flawed or unfitting, it won't.

Can't we just trust the voters on selecting good pneumatic models without requiring additional rules?

I mean, it's a pneumatic contest. Of course you'll have to use pneumatic for the core of your model. Duh. Isn't that obvious from the competition theme? A good mechanical model shouldn't get as much votes as a good pneumatic model, however good it is, because hte voters intuitively understand that it will be unfitting.

Really, just build a good model focusing on pneumatics, and be done with it.

I don't get all this hassle over the rules.

Can't we just trust the voters on selecting good pneumatic models without requiring additional rules?

I mean, it's a pneumatic contest. Of course you'll have to use pneumatic for the core of your model. Duh. Isn't that obvious from the competition theme? A good mechanical model shouldn't get as much votes as a good pneumatic model, however good it is, because hte voters intuitively understand that it will be unfitting.

Really, just build a good model focusing on pneumatics, and be done with it.

Erik, I started the discussion of pneumatic versus mechanical functions after seeing some of the WIP topics that mentioned features such as fake engines, pendular suspensions, HOG steering and so on in the same breath as the pneumatic functions.

Please let me be clear: I am not against the inclusion of such features. All I asked for was to consider dividing the list of functions into two parts - pneumatic and mechanical. This will let voters decide the score based on pneumatics alone. They can still choose to award points for style or mechanical functions, but the goal of the contest is clearly isolated.

I completely agree with you that models with pneumatics at their core should get more points, but voters can easily be razzle dazzled by the non pneumatic functions. All I'm trying to do is make it easier for them to judge on the theme of the contest.

What you say is common sense, most regular forum members can easily be trusted that they vote in the spirit of the contest. But according to my experiences with the few contests I entered, most voters were not regular members, but members outside Technic and members with years of membership but a few dozens of posts. Many of them vote on entrants who came from the same country as them...

Edited by Lipko

I'm new here and haven't experienced a contest before. Can anyone explain how the voting works?

Biggest and best looking model wins

That's exactly the "issue" about common sense. Lots of judges don't vote in the spirit of the contest. They simply see a big and good looking model and vote for it.

And common sense amongst the participants as well. Don't build that supercar you really like, because that will, most likely, not focus on pneumatics.

That's why there might be a slighty different voting process this time.

And now it's time to all go an build great stuff :laugh:

So, if you have steering (1st function) and suspension (2nd) in a model already you are willing to include 8 more, but this time pneumatic? :laugh:

Make the suspension pneumatic! that way you only need 3 more pneumatic functions to compensate for the non pneu steering :D

can It be a studded design?

There are examples what is allowed and what not, on page 5.

Studded is ok, if it is Technic build. No ModelTeam build.

There are examples what is allowed and what not, on page 5.

Studded is ok, if it is Technic build. No ModelTeam build.

wait a second.....those 2 examples at page 5 are controversial because Model Team is a studded design without functions (just features). I do want to use smooth bricks and slopes as a Model team but I'll have loads of pneumatic functions......something like this as example:

19.jpg

this is pure technic...not model team style.....yet uses slopes and smooth bricks!

Using as an excuse the post #165:

Can the bed be built out of plates , and the rest of the model completely studless ?

I just want to verify because I am designing the bed tilting and it will depend on each version(studded / studless) also it may change the scale of things a bit

Edited by LXF

That's exactly the "issue" about common sense. Lots of judges don't vote in the spirit of the contest. They simply see a big and good looking model and vote for it.

Just make me the only judge. Problem solved.

I AGREE!

Dear Blakbird, remember who supported you. Next time, when I am the judge I will remember your "remembering" :wink::devil:

Edited by J_C

I do want to use smooth bricks and slopes as a Model team but I'll have loads of pneumatic functions.

I would like that, too.

But rules state No ModelTeam finish.

So we will have to make the model in Technic style. If you want to use studs, try to use ideas from older Technic studded sets, like that 8868 Jim posted.

I would like that, too.

But rules state No ModelTeam finish.

So we will have to make the model in Technic style. If you want to use studs, try to use ideas from older Technic studded sets, like that 8868 Jim posted.

No worries.....will use a studless design then.....

Other question: since the pneumatic cylinders are all yellow can I wrap them with a different color sticker? This will make them look grey or black or red or whatever....is this allowed? After all it's only a sticker around a lego part?!

I am getting the pneumatics required from Bricklink :excited:

3x switches

3x mini cylinders

4x red no friction gears

2x technic figure seats

Edited by LXF

I am getting the pneumatics required from Bricklink :excited:

3x switches

3x mini cylinders

4x red no friction gears

2x technic figure seats

Convinced my parents , my dad likes engineering and the model looked cool to him , so it was easier :sweet:

Nice! I will get pneumatics eventually but I just never had.

The competition idea is very interesting! I'm strangely drawn towards entering.

What else would I do with all those meters of red hosing? :laugh:

Jim / Milan

Is this bed valid?

No. The rules clearly state that you can't have a studded bed :P

Done :thumbup::classic:

I was obviously not serious. There is no rule for that.

I was obviously not serious. There is no rule for that.

:wall: I thought you were referring to the model team one...