Here is my latest MOC, a TIE/tb Torpedo Bomber, also known originally as Torpedo Launcher.

28926978531_a41fa1e9c4_c.jpg

TIE/tb Torpedo Bomber by Veynom, on Flickr

Do not look for this TIE craft in any of the movies, anime, or comic books as you will not find it. It is based on the 3D model created in the early nineties par Marco SPitoni for his excellent animation fanfilm: "

". (Look from 27" and also in the credits)

I then decided to build it using my bricks in order to complete and expand further my LEGO TIE collection.

28383654924_2707d92b2e_c.jpg

This side view shows the technic beam used to link the top wing to the TIE body. It provides structural strength and thanks to it, you can play with the TIE and replicate any kind of space combat.

28386123813_f8da7da56f_c.jpg

The rear side offers a view on an unusual feature for a TIE craft: the presence of 2 distinctive engines under the wing:

28926977231_a7a46bfa43_c.jpg

28383655114_73319bc6d4_c.jpg

Here is a shot at the wing global shape. Note that the middle section has built using an odd number of studs in order to respect the symmetry with the body and the support pylon.

28970782266_7b28b9dff9_c.jpg

Front view depicting the torpedo launchers under the wing:

28383655234_56aef48b6f_c.jpg

And of course, it is on scale with other TIE sets. ;)

Comments welcome.

Wonderful build! Although I must confess the first thing that popped into my head was 'why has that TIE got skies?' :D. But than was only from my first glance, when viewing the pictures properly, it became clear you've got yourself a very cool and unique looking TIE variant. I really like the mixture of grill tiles and grooved bricks for the solar cells, really does look the part!

I like it! I can't compare it to the source, but it certainly looks cool. The wing looks very nice - if you'd made it out of plates the way most sets do, it wouldn't look half as good.

I had to go look that one up. Didn't know a Tie Torpedo Bomber was a thing. Very cool looking ship! You matched the original very well.

Had no idea this ship design existed! Regardless of that you did a great job and made a really good looking MOC. The ship almost looks like something from the Star Trek universe from a few angles.

Looks very nice ! I wonder if that pylon design with the technic beam would work with a standard TIE fighter build ? Might open up some possibilities ?

Thank you all for your very nice comments.

@miles teg: the technic requires a thick top to make it strong. Not sure the standard TIE has room for this.

A wonderful build! The "odd" (ones like the experimental M1 tie) tie fighters have always been fascinating to me and this falls in that category :thumbup: .

Thank you again for your very positive comments.

@Zelda: not sure. I also found a picture of a similar TIE variant with 2 pods and a larger wing on top. Possibilities are endless.