Sign in to follow this  
Starwars4J

Somewhat less WIP-Cruiser

Hey all, it's a New Year and I thought an update on my SHIP might be in order. First let me say that it's still a long, long way from being done, and most of the facade is unfinished. So yes, it still looks very boxy, but it won't be a thousandth as bad when all is said and done, okay? I realize how it looks like a giant floating rectangle right now, but it won't in the long run.

Okay, here's the overview:

cruiser0001.jpg

One of the side turrets with a little greeblage:

cruiser0002.jpg

One of the hatches to access the turret from the inside. I still need to add a hatch in case of destruction of the turret, as well as a ladder.

cruiser0007.jpg

The other side:

cruiser0008.jpg

Engine room. Here we see the water refreshment plant:

cruiser0004.jpg

An engine, power converter, hyperdrive (hard to see, on the right), and secondary reactor:

cruiser0005.jpg

cruiser0006.jpg

The gear mechanism to open the door. This will be there on all doors:

cruiser0010.jpg

The front section. The large empty front will be the primary bridge. The left in white, will be a small restroom, and on the right will be a small private conference room. Behind the conference room is a storage area through which supplies can be lifted to the next deck.

cruiser0011.jpg

Stairwell to the upper deck:

cruiser0012.jpg

Under the secondary bridge, which is removable to see the rest of the bottom floor is a small supply closet. A door still needs to be added.

The hallway. Underneath the grates are greebled. It can be dangerous, so railings will be placed along the walkways. You can see a ladder to the secondary bridge.

cruiser0013.jpg

The hoses are snaked over and under the doors, which aren't finished yet:

cruiser0014.jpg

Where the ladder leads from the main corridor to the secondary bridge on the middle deck.

cruiser0015.jpg

Overall I have a long way to go, but hopefully it'll keep moving at a nice clip. I have some small things here and there to add to it when I finish things. There will be another two decks added with the dome on top, one of which will house personnel and include a galley and washrooms, the uppermost which will house missile launchers and stuff. There's also a curve on the front which I'm starting on.

Gallery when moderated.

Ooh I've been looking forward to this update. Everytime I see your title I think "I can't wait to see what he's planning for that." Anyway I digress.

I absolutely love what you've got so far. *wub* *y* I adore all the greeblie bits you've put on the sides and those cannon/engines/ladders/anything else on it really, is just brilliantly designed. I thinks its great the amount of detail you've put into everything. When I make a ship I think "Rght I'll give an engines and some guns and I'll be set." But you think of everything. A water system, working gear mechanisms, reactors, secondary reactors, a conference room. (who ever thought of putting a conference room in a MOC, its brilliant!)

I wish I had the bricks to build something like this and I can't wait to see it finished.

Just a few question:

1. How many decks are you planning for it?

2.When do you expect it finished (if ever :-D )

3. What other things do you plan to implement in it? (Rooms, crew, other stuff)

Edited by Plural

This is coming along brilliantly, 4J! *wub*

This is also going to take a lot of room. :-D

One nitpick: The main walls, such as next to the turret hatch, next to the engines, etc., are pretty bare. Are you planning to greeble them a bit, such as adding signs, gas lines, etc?

Also, what are the engines going to look like?

Will

Ooh I've been looking forward to this update. Everytime I see your title I think "I can't wait to see what he's planning for that." Anyway I digress.

I absolutely love what you've got so far. *wub* *y* I adore all the greeblie bits you've put on the sides an that cannon/engines/ladders/anything on it really is just brilliantly designed. I thinks its great the amount of detail you've put into everything. When I make a ship I think "Rght I'll give an engines and some guns and I'll be set." But you think of everything. A water system, working gear mechanisms, reactors, secondary reactors, a conference room. (who ever thought of putting a conference room in a MOC, its brilliant!)

I wish I had the bricks to build something like this and I can't wait to see it finished.

Just a few question:

1. How many decks are you planning for it?

2.When do you expect it finished (if ever :-D )

3. What other things do you plan to implement in it? (Rooms, crew, other stuff)

I'm planning for a total of 4 decks, the main deck you've seen, and the second "deck" is really just gonna be that secondary bridge that's removable. The third deck will have the crew quarters (I'm planning on bunk beds), a large bathroom (showers, stalls, etc.), a galley, and that's all I believe I'll have room for. The final fourth deck will just be a hallway for the missile launchers.

When do I expect to finish it? I hope before next Christmas :-D Also keep in mind, the secondary bridge is barely even started, those 1/4 domes will be changed to trans-black, and I need to add computer terminals and the like.

This is coming along brilliantly, 4J! *wub*

This is also going to take a lot of room. :-D

One nitpick: The main walls, such as next to the turret hatch, next to the engines, etc., are pretty bare. Are you planning to greeble them a bit, such as adding signs, gas lines, etc?

Also, what are the engines going to look like?

Will

Thanks Will! Hm, well I am planning to add somethings to the wall (not hoses though, as you saw hoses are inside the inbetween space), but from what Sinner said, hangers tend to be pretty barren. I am going to add some asthetics though ;-) As for the engines, I almost have one completed. It'll be done soon, and I'll update with that.

Looking great so far! Man, this is gonna be awesome when it's finished! 8-

I like your subtle signature! :-D

It's good to see those turrents installed at last. I'm glad that you are planning a hatch in the entrance to them, but I can't see why you need a ladder in zero gee... ;-) The hallway is looking great too. Thanks for the update. *sweet*

Wow.. *wub*

Is there some kind of story involved too? (name, mission, etc?)

Since nobody else has asked about it: what are the (estimated?) dimensions of this SHIP? Length/width? (I assume you're not sure yet about the number of bricks ;-) )

..and I don't even want to think about how much this project's going to cost you ;-)

You've got some very nice ideas there!

I absolutely love the greeblies with the EF mecha's hands and lightsaber bars. Very clever and good-looking. The hatches are nice, but would look a million times better if you'd add some more plates (even though it doesn't look possible with this construction technique). I like the stairs too, simple but good-looking.

Other then that: yes, it looks very boxy X-D

Wow this looks great! *y*

All the little details in there....can't wait to see the result!

Cruising on!!

Thanks! :-)

I like your subtle signature! :-D

Subtle? 8-| Oh, sarcasm :-D X-D

It's good to see those turrents installed at last. I'm glad that you are planning a hatch in the entrance to them, but I can't see why you need a ladder in zero gee... ;-) The hallway is looking great too. Thanks for the update. *sweet*

Wait till you hear about the system of artificial gravity for the turrets :-P

Wow.. *wub*

Is there some kind of story involved too? (name, mission, etc?)

Since nobody else has asked about it: what are the (estimated?) dimensions of this SHIP? Length/width? (I assume you're not sure yet about the number of bricks ;-) )

..and I don't even want to think about how much this project's going to cost you ;-)

The estimated dimensions are:

130 studs long

48 studs wide (not counting turrets)

About 28 bricks high

You've got some very nice ideas there!

I absolutely love the greeblies with the EF mecha's hands and lightsaber bars. Very clever and good-looking. The hatches are nice, but would look a million times better if you'd add some more plates (even though it doesn't look possible with this construction technique). I like the stairs too, simple but good-looking.

Other then that: yes, it looks very boxy X-D

Thanks! What hatches are you talking about though? The doorways?

The round thingy in your third picture that kinda looks like a washing machine ;-)

Ah, gotcha. Well I do plan on adding a hatch, or door to it that can slide open and closed (important in case the turret gets destroyed) which should be pretty easy. There's a lot more left to do, I'm not done with the details yet :-D Thanks for the input

Thanks Will! Hm, well I am planning to add somethings to the wall (not hoses though, as you saw hoses are inside the inbetween space), but from what Sinner said, hangers tend to be pretty barren. I am going to add some asthetics though ;-) As for the engines, I almost have one completed. It'll be done soon, and I'll update with that.

Well, finally remembered what I forgot to mention. *wacko* Hangars always have warning lights to alert an attack, takeoff, etc. Spaceships should have the same, to signal a hull breach or other problem.

Will

Well, finally remembered what I forgot to mention. *wacko* Hangars always have warning lights to alert an attack, takeoff, etc. Spaceships should have the same, to signal a hull breach or other problem.

Will

Well I do have a plan to add warning lights to the wall using this piece:

47758.1114405374.jpg

Well I do have a plan to add warning lights to the wall using this piece:

47758.1114405374.jpg

Interesting! I was just thinking some trans-red 1x1 peice stuck on the walls... Or something similar. :-$ I look forward to seeing it added.

Will

Oh my...this is astonishing. The backup plan and planned construction for it if the turrets get destroyed is very clever. I really like how you did the ladders to the upper decks. I would have never thought of stacking that type of piece. I'm liking the plans for your decks too. It makes sense because each deck is getting smaller as you go up. The walkways with the gate grills and under greebles is a very nice looking detail. Just wondering, but about how many crew members do you think you'll need? And beyond that, how many total soldiers could you add beyond that?

Oh my...this is astonishing. The backup plan and planned construction for it if the turrets get destroyed is very clever. I really like how you did the ladders to the upper decks. I would have never thought of stacking that type of piece. I'm liking the plans for your decks too. It makes sense because each deck is getting smaller as you go up. The walkways with the gate grills and under greebles is a very nice looking detail.

Thanks *sweet*

Just wondering, but about how many crew members do you think you'll need? And beyond that, how many total soldiers could you add beyond that?

Well this being a cruiser, and not a strict warship such as the battleship I'm planning, it'll have a small occupation force that's currently planned to be 30-40. Then around 10 techs to keep the ship running, and a general to operate it of course. Thankfully I have all the figs. It'll also hold 4 fighters and 4 assault mecha, as well as a tank which I've yet to build (or even plan!)

wow this thing is really shaping up. There's some excellent greeblage in the engine room. The walkways are a neat addition, and I still think the water refreshment plant is a really creative idea. It's a large and impressive work and I cant wait to see it finished. *wub*

Whoa. That is going to be one huge space ship!

Are you also planning on making an artistic shape for the outside? You often see ships that become huge flying boxes when people build in this scale - or at least that was what my ships ended up being (That, and multi colored *sing* )

It is an interesting idea with those kind of bricks for warning lights. Are you going to add 9V as well now that it is such a big project? It is great to see a project so big light up in the dark.

Wait till you hear about the system of artificial gravity for the turrets :-P

You aren't planning something like the unbelievable quad turrets in the Millenium Falcon are you? 8-|

Whoa. That is going to be one huge space ship!

Are you also planning on making an artistic shape for the outside? You often see ships that become huge flying boxes when people build in this scale - or at least that was what my ships ended up being (That, and multi colored *sing* )

It is an interesting idea with those kind of bricks for warning lights. Are you going to add 9V as well now that it is such a big project? It is great to see a project so big light up in the dark.

I'm not going to make the actual warning lights light up, but I'm strongly considering putting the ship's number on the side in trans-blue plates and putting a light behind that so it lights up.

As for the artistic shape, overall I do want it somewhat simple as it's more believable to have a simpler shape (just look at real military sea vessels, they're almost all very simple in shape), though the entire top is going to be one large dome, which is actually a lot harder than it sounds :-D I also have plans to spice up the back with a pair of large fins (not to mention the engines), and the bottom will have an interesting fin design as well which, I hope, will invoke feelings of terran sea vessels

You aren't planning something like the unbelievable quad turrets in the Millenium Falcon are you? 8-|

No, not at all :-D I'm planning something like the entirely believable, possible, and futuristic quad turrets in the Millennium Falcon X-D

8-| Oooooh. SW4J, you're so busted! Do I hear the blasphemous term "artificial gravity?"

I love this ship, SW4J. *wub* It's always nice to see the progress. Despite the improbability, I like where you decided to put the turrets, they fit much better there than on the "dome" IMO. How does the dome fit over this? Will there be a bridge? When will you start it? I want to see the bridge. I bet it's cool. When when when???

Anyway, I really love the hatch to the turrets, the power converter-which I assume you picked up at Toshi Station-and the ladders. I love those ladders. Even though they're relatively simple, the technique is so effective and it makes me think "Wow, what a smarty! X-D "

Looking forward to more, as always! *sweet*