SilentWolf

[FB - COR] Those smelly pig farmers... oh, bacon!

Mr. and Mrs. Henry Pigge had settled on Alicentia with their prized possessions. Harry, Mary, and Carrie were the best bacon producing hogs in all of Corrington. At least that was the belief of the Pigges. They have built a small plantation two miles from Mooreton Bay. Some of the residents were not pleased to have a smelly hog farm nearby. However, the Corrington love of bacon proved overall stronger than the disdain for the wind blowing from the wrong direction. Mrs. Amy Pigge was also a very good seamstress, and quickly made friends with some of the ladies who wished to lighten their own sewing work. Today, their grandson is out at the cabin "helping" Grandpa care for the pigs as Grandma takes a couple dresses into town.

28841633512_aa5e7e130a_c.jpgSAM_7523 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28870074381_11afbb4261_c.jpgSAM_7525 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

28841627532_9c471181cb_c.jpgSAM_7526 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

A birdseye view:

28841626252_ec359d3605_z.jpgSAM_7527 by SilentWolf Legos, on Flickr

Notes:

The cabin design was borrowed from a combination of Mike's log cabin, with an attempt to combine it with the roof from Kai's log cabin. It was built for my entry to the state fair, but the cabin ended up not being stable enough for me to trust it to other people for a month. Thus, I decided to build this small hog farm around the cabin. It was also my first attempt at a non-square base. C&C welcome.

Lots to like here! I like the SNOT technique for the walls, I like the roof, how you've built the rail fence for the pigpen, and the non-square base. My only critique of the base would be to have the outermost edge also be the bottom, but it looks good as is. I just recently started working with non-square bases, and it really does improve some builds. The text is good as well (but Mr. and Mrs. Pigge? Really? pir_laugh2.gif). Well done!

A very nice addition to Mooreton Bay SilentWolf, thank you! The SNOT walls on the cabin look great and I know are really hard to do - I can relate to your concerns with stability! The roof looks really good as well. One detail that really catches my eye is the pig wallowing in the dark brown mud - fantastic detail!

Yet another nice moc! Of all the details, i , too, particularly like the hog pen with the muddy center and the fence. But Ofc the cabin is nice too. Cpt Wolf's concern that the outer plates forming the base should preferably be at the lower level is something i would have never notice as a novice builder myself but it helps indeed. You indeed learn a lot during your life time :-)

Great looking pig pen, and the cabin is nice too. I think I would have either raised the gable above the roof, or extended the roof to have some overhang to the sides. Currently, it looks abit odd. The layered dirt and mud in the pig pen is brilliant, and I like the water trough and the fence too.

Those piggies are going to be sad when they realise how bacon is made, though.... pirate_wink.gif

Very nice log cabin and sty, SilentWolf, and, while I agree with Capt. Wolf about the levels, I still like that you went with an irregular base :thumbup: I really like all the names as well! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Lots to like here! I like the SNOT technique for the walls, I like the roof, how you've built the rail fence for the pigpen, and the non-square base. My only critique of the base would be to have the outermost edge also be the bottom, but it looks good as is. I just recently started working with non-square bases, and it really does improve some builds. The text is good as well (but Mr. and Mrs. Pigge? Really? pir_laugh2.gif). Well done!

Very nice log cabin and sty, SilentWolf, and, while I agree with Capt. Wolf about the levels, I still like that you went with an irregular base :thumbup: I really like all the names as well! pirate_laugh_new.gif

Thank you for the advice on how to improve the non-square approach. I will apply it the next time I use it. I attempt to pick last names that reflect the person's occupation, but some of them are not as obvious without looking up the origins. When I was looking for a name for hog farmers, I found Pigge and I got a kick out of it so I had to use it. Apparently it means "someone who raises pigs". Who would have guessed!pirate_laugh_new.gifdefault_rofl.gif

A very nice addition to Mooreton Bay SilentWolf, thank you! The SNOT walls on the cabin look great and I know are really hard to do - I can relate to your concerns with stability! The roof looks really good as well. One detail that really catches my eye is the pig wallowing in the dark brown mud - fantastic detail!

Having been around a few pig farms in my day (relatives and friends) I really focused on the wallow. Having the multiple brown colors really helped pull it off. Thank you for the other compliments as well.

Yet another nice moc! Of all the details, i , too, particularly like the hog pen with the muddy center and the fence. But Ofc the cabin is nice too. Cpt Wolf's concern that the outer plates forming the base should preferably be at the lower level is something i would have never notice as a novice builder myself but it helps indeed. You indeed learn a lot during your life time :-)

Thank you!

Great looking pig pen, and the cabin is nice too. I think I would have either raised the gable above the roof, or extended the roof to have some overhang to the sides. Currently, it looks abit odd. The layered dirt and mud in the pig pen is brilliant, and I like the water trough and the fence too.

Those piggies are going to be sad when they realise how bacon is made, though.... pirate_wink.gif

Thank you for the compliments, Bregir. I agree that the roof ended up being a little odd. In the cabin attempt #2 that I had in my fair entry, did have a lower roof so that the gable was above/even with the roof. Though I have decided I prefer the roofs that extend past the gable, but that also wasn't stable enough for my liking.

Seeing that I had bacon for supper last night, Harry, Mary and Carrie are already crying that their children, Benny, Denny, Jenny, Kenny, Lenny, and Penny are turned into bacon, default_iamded_lol.png

Lovely, lovely.

Its a pig's life after all... pirate_laugh2.gif

default_moar.gif Thank you!

The base and pigs looks good, but I especially like the cabbin! Great job with the logs!

Nice build and story! That roof looks good with the walls, I'll have to try it myself sometime just with the roof extending over the sides.