well this is a very interesting topic!! I have been building since 2005 and have been collecting MOCs over the years and some are excellent but as time went by I needed parts for newer and even more creative MOCs especially power functions. I won't mention any names but there are some technic MOCs the last few years that I find very hard to take apart.... so I decided that they are keepers for my collection. There are some that I take apart and rebuild just because they are that good. All in all Lego MOCs are getting better and better......good for all of us!!

I feel the OPs pain... but it's got to be done or I'll be drowning in Lego. One year at the STEAM show, a neighbouring exhibitor tore down his beautiful set-up after the show and literally threw it in chunks into the box.

Edited by Nick Barrett

Interestingly, the trend of keeping MOCs for me is the opposite to most of you. At the beginning it was natural that I had to disassemble a MOC to start a new one due to the small inventory. Nowadays I try to keep them assembled for two reasons: I'm still hoping that one today I can get my models shown on an exhibition/meeting; and the second reason is limited space. A partly disassembled model (which usually comes apart in larger modules) takes much more space than a near complete model or a totally disassembled model. And I don't have the patience to fully disassemble models (MOCs or official sets)

... I'm still hoping that one today I can get my models shown on an exhibition/meeting;...

Are you sure your models weren´t shown at any expo yet :classic: ? Since they are shared for free, you won´t mind anyway. My models were/are and the exhibitors even didn´t ask me (who cares)...

Are you sure your models weren´t shown at any expo yet :classic: ? Since they are shared for free, you won´t mind anyway. My models were/are and the exhibitors even didn´t ask me (who cares)...

I was on one in 2013, but the Hungarian exhibition scene is quite dissipated (many-many events without any cooperation. I remember that once there was two mayor exhibitions at the same time in the city). The Technic line is represented by a single person, or not at all. The Hungarian User group is not very active now, only the trial-truckers (thatnks to Mbmc) are holding their ground.

I dunno if someone else built and shown my models.

Edited by Lipko

How do I disassemble a MOC I like and don't want to take apart?

What's the point of this question/topic?

I find the answers in this topic quite surprising. Am I really the only person whose models won't stay together more than a few weeks? If I finished a model, I make a CAD file of it, and some photos, and it goes back into parts. That way I don't have to keep spending ever more money and ever more space on the hobby.

The additional benefit of this is that whenever I start a MOC, I have my complete collection of pieces available, so I know what I have. If I keep all kinds of stuff assembled, my available inventory changes all the time, and I don't like that.

Also, LEGO is meant for building. Not for building only once and then letting it collect dust.

I find the answers in this topic quite surprising. Am I really the only person whose models won't stay together more than a few weeks? If I finished a model, I make a CAD file of it, and some photos, and it goes back into parts. That way I don't have to keep spending ever more money and ever more space on the hobby.

The additional benefit of this is that whenever I start a MOC, I have my complete collection of pieces available, so I know what I have. If I keep all kinds of stuff assembled, my available inventory changes all the time, and I don't like that.

Also, LEGO is meant for building. Not for building only once and then letting it collect dust.

You are not the only one. After my dark age I got 2 Lego-culture shocks.

1) when I saw on Lego Ideas question from Lego: "How many do you think people will buy?" What do they even mean, I thought. I realized folks buy more boxes of the same set.

2) (bigger shock) about Lego culture I was not aware about at all when I was a kid. Lots of people build a set or Moc, put it on the shelf and that is it.

1)a2) is connected - i quess - 1st box for "shelfing" next one(s) for building.

I am like you, I build, dissasemble, build again. Now (new thing for me) sometimes take pictures of MOCs so I can build it the same (or similar) way again. Not so much ago, not even that. Very recently I discovered LDCad and LPub and I "archive" some of the MOCs digitally.

Edited by J_C

Mine stay assembled for a few days, normally after the photos and video they are directly dissasembled

You haven't read the replies carefully. The only reason I don't disassemble models immediately after finishing everything (video, instructions of some sort, etc) is that I can hardly ever afford to start another model immediately (I have no time). Plus I still hope that I can bring some of them to conventions. And that I find disassembling things as a boring, necessary evil thing. Maybe my models are too dense, but they don't take significantly more space than parts, and at least I don't need more parts storage equipment.

Edited by Lipko

I find the answers in this topic quite surprising. Am I really the only person whose models won't stay together more than a few weeks?

Recent studies suggest that different people may or may not like different things.

...Am I really the only person whose models won't stay together more than a few weeks?

You´re not the only "crazy" one :grin: ...

You are not the only one. After my dark age I got 2 Lego-culture shocks.

1) when I saw on Lego Ideas question from Lego: "How many do you think people will buy?" What do they even mean, I thought. I realized folks buy more boxes of the same set.

2) (bigger shock) about Lego culture I was not aware about at all when I was a kid. Lots of people build a set or Moc, put it on the shelf and that is it.

1)a2) is connected - i quess - 1st box for "shelfing" next one(s) for building.

1) I know somebody who buys 3 of each bigger set :look: ...

2) Kids can become AFOLs some day and restart playing - means assemble and disassemble for me too.

You haven't read the replies carefully.

Somebody raised a rethorically paradox question (there is no such thing as stupid questions) and it´s up to everybody to interpret it your way :wink:

Edited by brunojj1

Maybe he wants us to come over and rip it apart?*grin*

I offered but the OP hasn't accepted. :laugh: