CM4Sci leaked the 10252 VW Beetle on April 1st last year so hopefully a set number and a name will show up soon. 

I'm hoping we will soon hear more about new creator expert sets they will release this year. It's probably not going to be a new car but hopefully something else. Only time will tell.

I would be highly surprised if there was no Winter Village set. I bet for either a train station (which would be the most logical after last year's Holiday Train) or a candy shop.

And which concerns the Fair theme: It was rumored that there'll be a carousel this year (since unluckily the Creator Fair theme took a break last year because of the release of the Friends Fun Park theme). The release date for this one should be mid May (like the two previous ones) - but info and pictures on these show up only very shortly before release. So I fear that we've to wait minimum one month before we know.

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Getting a little worried that we won't see a Creator Expert car this year. I guess it would make sense to skip 2017 since there is 4 cars on the shelves already (5 if you count in the Ideas Caterham) but it would still be a disappointment if they did. 

On 03/04/2017 at 11:13 PM, Klaus-Dieter said:

And which concerns the Fair theme: It was rumored that there'll be a carousel this year (since unluckily the Creator Fair theme took a break last year because of the release of the Friends Fun Park theme). The release date for this one should be mid May (like the two previous ones) - but info and pictures on these show up only very shortly before release. So I fear that we've to wait minimum one month before we know.

I hope you're right: i built the Ferris Wheel and the Fairground Mixer which i bought just before its retirement. Those sets are gorgeous! Plus they can be bring to life with power functions. I missed the old caroussel and the rumor of a new one sounds exciting for me, but i will be happy with any new fair theme set ;)

Edited by sebitsena

On 3/5/2017 at 4:24 PM, Aanchir said:

"Modular" in this case seems to mean that each one of the builds can separate into multiple sections that you can rearrange, like many previous Friends and City buildings. For example, the Modular Modern Home seems to have an 8x16 lower section, two 8x8 upper sections, and an 8x8 roof section, which can be moved around in various ways. Modular Poolside Holiday has one 8x16 lower section, two 8x8 roof sections, and an 8x8 pool section, so if you so chose, you could put the pool on the roof! You can even exchange sections between multiple sets or between multiple builds of the same set, though the latter might require multiple copies of the set since the modules you want to combine might require some of the same parts.

Arguably these are even MORE modular than the Creator Expert Modular Buildings. Those, at best, let you rearrange them on a street and add or remove middle floors, but you can't take a floor from the Fire Brigade and add it to the Town Hall, or put the roof of the Brick Bank on the Palace Cinema.

LEGO did something similar with some of the mini vehicle sets for the first half of the year. Every one of the three models for 31054 Blue Express, 31055 Red Racer, and 31060 Airshow Aces can separate into modules using Technic cross axles. And the modules are all inter-compatible between vehicles. This video illustrates this concept. LEGO has even shared video building guides on how to make other modular vehicles that you can mix-and-match the same way, like a limo and boat.

I think we now know what the term "Modular" means with respect to the new Creator houses.  This image just posted to Brickset clearly show the three new Creator homes (31067, 31068, and 31069) combined into one large house.

31067_alt6.jpg

Just started building 31069 and the first bag is basically the frame for each build, with the interior and some exterior as "mini" builds with just being a case of fitting it in. 

Makes sense with the photo above with them all being able to clip together in some ways which ever way you want. 

1 hour ago, wooster said:

I think we now know what the term "Modular" means with respect to the new Creator houses.  This image just posted to Brickset clearly show the three new Creator homes (31067, 31068, and 31069) combined into one large house.

Gonna be hard to sink a ball into that basketball hoop in that configuration! :laugh:

It's quite fascinating how the build fits together. Once you have your frame or "skeleton" everything can be moved or slotted to where u like. Windows and doors included. Everything is like mini builds. 

The image of all the builds together above can be done in numerous ways to what u want it to be. 

Great design by Lego :)

@wooster that's pretty cool looking, I gotta admit. But who thought that "dog" was a good idea?!

5 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Gonna be hard to sink a ball into that basketball hoop in that configuration! :laugh:

You'll need some serious skills :P

I'm not a fan of the new "Modular" approach to the Creator houses based on the new photos. But, I'll give it a go in person before making a final judgement.

This batch of houses are terrible and way too many basic colours except for a TINY bit of medium blue. Just because 3 mediocre sets can be combines together it doesn't make them better.

Corner Deli, the yellow 31035 Beach Hut, Changing Seasons, and Park St Townhouse were all really good sets on their own, even for us AFOLs. None of the new 3 look even remotely realistic and look like they are made for toddlers. I will be giving them a pass. 

Rant over, I am going to build something :)

IMO the last good creator house was the 31012 Family House in 2013 although the Bike Shop & Cafe in 2014 was pretty good as well.

All of the buildings since then (including the ones this year) just don't do it for me. Not big enough and not enough basic bricks and building parts (too many little fiddly useless detail parts)

I've checked Brickset periodically for some Expert series set number to pop up, yet haven't seen or heard anything at this point yet. I remember last year, we heard about the Winter Village Train early in either last April or early May, the Big Ben sometime early on, and about a month's notice before seeing the Beetle. Perhaps like the Fairground series, the Architecture and Expert Cars will be taking a break this year?

The World Buildings (Big Ben, Sydney Opera House, et cetera) only turn up every three years or so, but the vehicles are an annual thing at this point. Just be patient for the reveal.

On 5/27/2017 at 9:35 AM, Tragic Banjo said:

The World Buildings (Big Ben, Sydney Opera House, et cetera) only turn up every three years or so, but the vehicles are an annual thing at this point. Just be patient for the reveal.

Is that conf that a car is coming then? I was resigned to the fact that nothing was in queue this year, but would be thrilled with another this year.

On 27/5/2017 at 3:35 PM, Tragic Banjo said:

At this point I have pretty much given up on a Creator Expert car this year. They normally release on August 1st / Juli 15th for VIP. The first rumours/info on the F40 turned up in December over 8 months before release. First Info on the Beetle was on April 1st, 4 months before release. We are now 2 months from August 1st. 

Info on The Last Jedi stuff is already out and that is not comming out before September(?). I have a suspicion that the Ideas Caterham has taken up the creator car slot for this year. 

I would be very happy to be proven wrong though.    

Edit: Oh, and non of the former Creator Expert cars has been discontionued yet. 

Edited by tpvelo

My guess is that with the Mini, F40 and both VWs still widely available (and possibly still in production) and the VW Van recently getting a new push (lots of stores in Oz recently started stocking the VW Van despite it being 5+ years old at this point) there is no room in the lineup for a new Creator car.

I do wonder why some Creator Expert sets (the VW Van, Tower Bridge and maybe the Palace Cinema being notable examples) seem to hang around so long...

On 5/29/2017 at 2:57 AM, jonwil said:

My guess is that with the Mini, F40 and both VWs still widely available (and possibly still in production) and the VW Van recently getting a new push (lots of stores in Oz recently started stocking the VW Van despite it being 5+ years old at this point) there is no room in the lineup for a new Creator car.

I do wonder why some Creator Expert sets (the VW Van, Tower Bridge and maybe the Palace Cinema being notable examples) seem to hang around so long...

The VW van wasnt in the newest Shop @ Home catalog...

Thought I'd post this.

The modular system is okay I guess. They should've used Technic pins though IMO. It also looks incredibly fragile. I'd prefer the regular hinged Creator buildings.

1 hour ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Thought I'd post this.

The modular system is okay I guess. They should've used Technic pins though IMO. It also looks incredibly fragile. I'd prefer the regular hinged Creator buildings.

Yeah, me too. I guess I'm going to pick them up if they are on a reasonable price. It looks indeed very fragile. They should have included enough pieces when you rearange it, you can completly close it up. 

Edited by Kjellevirus