CM4Sci

Technic 2017 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Emmi said:

No, the Volvo wheel loader has parts count of 1600+ and is € 220. So parts count of 1800+ with a price of € 250 is plausible.

But the 42030 Volvo has 4 Motors and 2 Receivers which is more a PF partpack. I also think 250€ is the correct price because this set uses many special and expensive parts (6 Xerion wheels, many differentials, LA's [small, big]). Maybe the new dark azure is expensive too or exklusive to this set. I really think the 42070 is more special than it looks like. The most challenging part by designing this thing may sync the functions again to the control pad. There are 4 Forward/backward/up/down operations and 2 sidewise (steering, crane turning). When putting the stick up the truck must drive forward - in the second RC mode the crane must elevate up when putting the stick up and also the whinch must go out and not back. This is what I mean why this model has flagship Status. I can imagine that the playability is just great and the manual switching seems OK. No one will drive and operate the crane at the same time.  

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm honestly just waiting for that huge 3000+ pieces pneumatic! excavator next year :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emmi said:

I'm honestly just waiting for that huge 3000+ pieces pneumatic! excavator next year :grin:

STOP doing this. These kind of comments keep derailing the topic. There's a wish list topic for these things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Richard Dower said:

Will 42070 use Portal axles and ball joints like 8110?

Portal axles: Yes with absolute certainty. Ball joints: No with high certainty, because the rear wheels use pendular suspensions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jim said:

STOP doing this. These kind of comments keep derailing the topic. There's a wish list topic for these things.

Sorry ...

So can we expect to get a closer look and maaaaybe a presenation of its functions of the 2H line-up at New York Toy Fair???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, nguyengiangoc said:

Portal axles: Yes with absolute certainty. Ball joints: No with high certainty, because the rear wheels use pendular suspensions.

I wonder....on the B model of 8273 they used a turntable as a sort of pendular suspension, do you think the technique will be employed again?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Miscman said:

At :53, you can see the passenger side switch in the up position controls the turning of the crane AND the winch up and down so there must be a 3rd switch to select between the 2 functions somewhere.  The drivers side switch seems to be steering in the down position and extend outriggers in the up position. The only function I can't find a control for is the crane up and down.  

 

simple, two motors=two functions!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nguyengiangoc said:

And the 42070 has UW or U UU in the grill...

Sorry, did not see the UW. Yes that is a cool fact that Uwe build this thing. In my opinion the best designer. I'am very happy that this year it is not a Kossmann-Flagship.

6WD-drive seems very interesting. There must be at least 4 differentials in this set. One for each axle and 2 between the axles like the Unimog. In this case we have 5 differentials in this set. Maybe the 2 back axles are connected together so there are 4 differentials. All in all this summer wave seems very good. 42070 together with 42069 gives us perfect models for Trial and RC mocs.

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Richard Dower said:

I wonder....on the B model of 8273 they used a turntable as a sort of pendular suspension, do you think the technique will be employed again?

 

Yes the model use 4 of the small turntables, 2 for each axle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42067 mystery solved? At the end of the video 3 post up it says tow truck 067 on the left and right of the grille so maybe 42070 should be 42067 !?

Edited by Dazenie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Miscman said:

At :53, you can see the passenger side switch in the up position controls the turning of the crane AND the winch up and down so there must be a 3rd switch to select between the 2 functions somewhere.  The drivers side switch seems to be steering in the down position and extend outriggers in the up position. The only function I can't find a control for is the crane up and down. 

Yes, I agree with you that the "right tooth up position" to controls the turning of the crane AND the winch up and down.

Offer my version of the functional on image:

Lego_42070_Futctions.jpg

Edited by Vicont45
image attached to the post. link by image sharing to deleted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vicont45 said:

Yes, I agree with you that the "right tooth up position" to controls the turning of the crane AND the winch up and down.

Offer my version of the functional on image:

Lego_42070_Futctions.jpg

Edited just now by Vicont45
image attached to the post. link by image sharing to deleted.

Such a gearbox setup with "additional functions" seems unlogic. This would meen that the truck can drive and operate the crane at the same time if booth levers are not in neutral position wich makes no sense for such a model. The driving part is highly decoupled from other functions. The lever on drivers position simply controls the wish of drive or none drive and the lever on other position controls the current 2 crane / outtrigger operations. This setup means that there are only 2 functions active and switching the Operation lever has no effect when using drive mode. This is called 3-way-gearbox like in the unimog     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

This would meen that the truck can drive and operate the crane at the same time.

No, you did not understand me correctly. I also had in mind 3-way-gearbox.

In position "Left tooth Down" works only Drive the movement, while functions to controlled by the "Right Tooth" is not active.

In position "Left tooth Up" Drive the movement is not active, but works the functions "Right Tooth" (crane and outriggers)

1 hour ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

This is called 3-way-gearbox like in the unimog     

Yes, it is quite likely. Because in the Unimog 1 motor drives the 3 functions, and in the 42070 - 2 motors drives the 6 functions. All converges.

Edited by Vicont45

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vicont45 said:

Yes, it is quite likely. Because in the Unimog 1 motor drives the 3 functions, and in the 42070 - 2 motors drives the 6 functions. All converges.

Agreed. I really like the idea behind this set and I think the gearbox is still interesting. For me a true flagship

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I decided to do it, I have made a mockup of how I think the gearbox for 42070 could work.

31867205744_bc9b8d5e01.jpg42070 gearbox by Saberwing007, on Flickr

In this image, we have the basic gearbox, with control levers.The brown lever switches between drive and crane modes, and the purple levers switches between crane functions.

32330528890_3a71d7af1f.jpg42070 gearbox2 by Saberwing007, on Flickr

In this image, I have hidden the some structural parts, so you can better see what is going on. For each motor, there is a two position splitter, linked to a common shift lever. When the lever is in the down position, the motors are linked to the drive mechanism, and allow the model to drive. However, the two driving rings can also go the other way, which connects each motor to another splitter. Then, each of those splitters have two positions, and are slaved together so that they shift together. the parts are color coded, as follows:

  • The blue driving ring and red driving rings are run by each motor, and controlled by the brown lever.
  • The dark blue and dark red gears would connect to the drive and steering.
  • The orange and lime green gears take the power from the other output of the red and blue driving rings, and take that to two more driving rings.
  • The black and dark green gears are the two outputs of the XL motor in crane mode.
  • The white and tan gears are the two outputs for the M motor in crane mode.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, this driving ring extension thing is a clever way to avoid collision between the 2 motors. Has this technique been used in an official set until now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The driving ring extension doesn't work with the new driving rings.

Unless, of course, they designed a new mould for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think having to manually select functions on an RC set defies the whole purpose of having RC.  

Aside from the adventure bike, nothing in this year's Technic lineup appeals to me.  I'm hoping for some new drivetrain parts in that tow truck though.

It looks like I'll be focusing more on the Creator line this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

Personally, I think having to manually select functions on an RC set defies the whole purpose of having RC.  

Aside from the adventure bike, nothing in this year's Technic lineup appeals to me.  I'm hoping for some new drivetrain parts in that tow truck though.

It looks like I'll be focusing more on the Creator line this year.

I know, right? Either make it full RC, or full manual. I think the truck would have been much better as a fully manual push along model, and have the RC flagship be 42069. Then, the truck could have actual suspension.

By the way, what do you mean by new drivetrain parts in the truck? What kind of parts would you want?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's interesting that since the debut of the new gear shifting elements they have not been used with driving ring extensions in official sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.