2 hours ago, Jim said:

Okay, than it might indeed be a good parts pack :wink: 

At least you get 50+ frames, which I why I bought it in the first place.

I have 9 frames total, that would be nice to have. I also have way too little beams.

6 hours ago, degenerate said:

Some quick info about when the 2017 sets will discontinue, so you can get the sets you  want before they'll be gone.

Thank you very much for this information sir.

If this list is complete 42056 Porsche from 2016 will be still available in 2019 or probably for a longer period. In my opinion TLG wants to boost sales figures regarding the new super car hopefully coming out this summer and creating the new collectible series of ultimate Technic which was mentioned before by the company itself. And maybe they decided to keep production run much longer for these special Technic sets (similar to mudular buildings) in order to decrease profit of scalpers and Lepin. I would support this strategy.

On the other hand TLG had very strange strategy regarding flagship 42070 last year which I do not support. RRP was insanely high and dropped right after the release date at many resellers with huge amount to keep planned sales figures I believe. And I agree with agrof at this point that it was not the best way to treat with long-term fans. If 42070 had been priced at EUR 175 (which for me is the right price for a MISB 42070 set) much less dislike would have come I think.

4 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

Depends on what "value" you base this on.
Price per part is really good.
But price per gramm?
And i guess there aren't many mocs using more than 40 5x7 frames. :laugh:

So as always: "it depends" :grin:

I was only talking about the price per part.

And also it is an amazing set imo simply because of how massive it is, that set is what really sparked my passion for technic after some 12 dark years, it truly is a behemoth.

About 42056, it  isn't listed in the 2018 catalogue at all and hasn't been available for stores to order from TLG for at least half a year now.

In other words, it's discontinued.

Edited by degenerate

2 minutes ago, degenerate said:

About 42056, it  isn't listed in the 2018 catalogue at all and hasn't been available for stores to order from TLG for at least half a year now.

In other words, it's discontinued.

Lego still sell it on their own website though...

30 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Lego still sell it on their own website though...

I know, but it's unavailable for stores to order, which means the stores that are still selling it are selling the stock they have left, and most likely so are TLG.

It makes sense that they would keep a bunch of them to themselves to sell on their webshop rather than selling it to stores, since they're easily making twice as much money selling a set on their webshop compared to selling it to a store.

So without asking I received 42069 and 42070 over Christmas. Lucky me!!!

42069 is good with its live axle suspension and Ackerman steering geometry, and I tried it with mockup axles to see how it would look with wheels that did not stick out from the arches, but it looked too narrow on the whole so went back to tracks. The issue I have is that the build felt comparatively long and tedious. The axles are ok but the main body of the car has too many parts for too little mechanical goodness for my taste. Winches and opening doors are nice detail functions when combined with other main functions, but they aren't enough to carry a set on their own. Still a good set but the build was dull.

42070, after building 42069 I really enjoyed building 42070. Not so many parts but way more going on mechanically. My view of the finished set is the same (not great), but I have to say the building experience was surprisingly good.

Edited by allanp

On 6/1/2018 at 11:38 AM, degenerate said:

Some quick info about when the 2017 sets will discontinue, so you can get the sets you  want before they'll be gone.
Note that this is just when stores can't order the sets anymore, so you can probably still find them for a couple weeks/months after these dates as the stores sell the last of their stock.

Sets that discontinue in Dec 2018

42068 will discontinue in July 2018

42070 doesn't have a date yet so it's safe to assume that it's going to stick around for 2019 as well.

42066 Airjet is also done in Dec 18.

56 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

42066 Airjet is also done in Dec

We can't order 42066 to our store in  Sweden anymore, it's not listed in the lego b2b store or in the 2018 catalogue either, unless it's specific for Sweden I'd say it's discontinued as well.

4 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

42066 Airjet is also done in Dec 18.

Thank goodness I got one then.

9 hours ago, degenerate said:

We can't order 42066 to our store in  Sweden anymore, it's not listed in the lego b2b store or in the 2018 catalogue either, unless it's specific for Sweden I'd say it's discontinued as well.

I think it´s important to point out that the wholesale order list is not gospel regarding retirement dates but merely a failry accurate predictor. Some D2C and exclusive sets don´t appear and they can make some last minute changes too. There was one Hungarian site claiming that 42066 was retiring soon then they changed it. On past data, it should be done in December  too.

I thought 1H flagship has a shelf life of 1.5 year? 42052 Helicopter was released at the beginning of 2016 and was retired sometimes mid 2017.

6 hours ago, Jim said:

Well, there's the designers interview. They more or less hinted that the Porsche was the first in a series. No guarantees, but I find it hard to believe it's not a supercar.

It's 100eu on Amazon.de, there are several other sets at good prices there as well.

9 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I've already mentioned this on the review topic, but Smyth's has dropped 42070 back to £179.99. It can go lower, I'm sure.

I know what they're paying for it, and they can't lower that price with many pounds unless they want to lose money on it   :laugh:

3 hours ago, degenerate said:

I know what they're paying for it, and they can't lower that price with many pounds unless they want to lose money on it   :laugh:

Well, I remember how low it can go. So I'm waiting a little longer.

I don't really know where to put this, since it does relate to 2017, but not necessarily to a set, but I'll still take my chances here.

For the 40th anniversary of Technic, we were promised (or rather: "Jim was told be a LEGO employee" :) ) that 'there is more to come'. I believe we got that promise AFTER the special brick and after the chassis-car plans (made up of H1 sets).

Did we ever find out what that was? Some put forward the notion that the visit to the vault was the missing treat, but has this ever been confirmed?

1 hour ago, JimDude said:

I don't really know where to put this, since it does relate to 2017, but not necessarily to a set, but I'll still take my chances here.

For the 40th anniversary of Technic, we were promised (or rather: "Jim was told be a LEGO employee" :) ) that 'there is more to come'. I believe we got that promise AFTER the special brick and after the chassis-car plans (made up of H1 sets).

Did we ever find out what that was? Some put forward the notion that the visit to the vault was the missing treat, but has this ever been confirmed?

Yeah, I think that was it. It was on the Facebook page and not even on the actual Technic site. Lot of people were disappointed about it, especially since Sariel did something better before then.