CM4Sci

Technic 2017 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

This is the topic for 2017 set discussion and the other topic is for the 2018 sets. This topic will remain open, just like previous year's topics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Jim said:

This is the topic for 2017 set discussion and the other topic is for the 2018 sets. This topic will remain open, just like previous year's topics.

Thanks Jim.  I've never been this active in a set discussion before so just wondered.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going (finally) to write a reviews of 42069 for polish LUGs soon, so here's comparision of 42069 with 42054:

800x511.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Technic sets this year follow a theme. The main theme is undoubtedy "exploring", as evidenced by 42064 Ocean Explorer, 42069 Extreme Adventure, 42070 B Explorer Vehicle (maybe 42063 BMW too). I also think there is also a turn into fictional civilianized, military-inspired vehicles, as seen in 42066 and 42070. The VTOL function is more dominant in military aircraft, and 6x6 recovery trucks are rare even for civil off-road recovery,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think Technic sets this year follow a theme. The main theme is undoubtedy "exploring", as evidenced by 42064 Ocean Explorer, 42069 Extreme Adventure, 42070 B Explorer Vehicle (maybe 42063 BMW too). I also think there is also a turn into fictional civilianized, military-inspired vehicles, as seen in 42066 and 42070. The VTOL function is more dominant in military aircraft, and 6x6 recovery trucks are rare even for civil off-road recovery,

I like the whole 'futuristic fictional vehicle' theme. I know TLG overdid it in the late 90's (except for 8446, which is bloody awesome!), but I think Technic could do with it now, to balance out the more 'real-worldy' stuff and licensed sets. 42038 fits in this category as well, and that's a good set as well. You could argue 42070's B is a misfire (Sariel certainly did), but there's definitely room for more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've just realized that I like the 42066 B model more than the A model, because the appearance and the color match the style of a Gulfstream private jet more than a supposedly "race" or "military lookalike" jet. And that wie wingspan makes it look cooler when swooshed. Also I live next to an airport, so I see planes like the B model more often.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw 42066 at the local Lego store Friday and dang! I had no idea the set was so big! I'm not a fan of the short wings on the A model but maybe I'll purchase it for the B model.

Edited by karmajay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 7:39 AM, Maaboo35 said:

I like the whole 'futuristic fictional vehicle' theme. I know TLG overdid it in the late 90's (except for 8446, which is bloody awesome!), but I think Technic could do with it now, to balance out the more 'real-worldy' stuff and licensed sets. 42038 fits in this category as well, and that's a good set as well. You could argue 42070's B is a misfire (Sariel certainly did), but there's definitely room for more.

I was rather interested in the 42070 B model.  Maybe because it's just different, one could say the same for the 42069 B model, very unusual.  That being said, I plan on building both.  I realize that 42070 B doesn't look to use anywhere near the same amount of parts, or gears for that matter, than the main model, but it just looks interesting.  I know Sariel really bombed the 42070 in general in his review.  I read it and do agree on many points, but curiosity got the better of me so I downloaded the B model instructions.  Luckily I got a great deal on the 2nd 42070 I bought, so even if the B model 'sucks' once I build it, I can always build another tow truck...

On 9/4/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've just realized that I like the 42066 B model more than the A model, because the appearance and the color match the style of a Gulfstream private jet more than a supposedly "race" or "military lookalike" jet. And that wie wingspan makes it look cooler when swooshed. Also I live next to an airport, so I see planes like the B model more often.

I do agree with you on the 42066B.  It took a long time to get to the US, but upon looking at both models, I do think I like the Private Jet better.  I'm not planning on using the stickers on the wings or other parts, so it will easily be built and look good.  

On 8/28/2017 at 3:42 PM, M_longer said:

I am going (finally) to write a reviews of 42069 for polish LUGs soon, so here's comparision of 42069 with 42054:

 

Nice comparison shot.  Looks like both are the same scale.  Will you be putting your review on EB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarkShadow73 said:

Nice comparison shot.  Looks like both are the same scale. 

They are far in scale. In reality they would compare like this:

claas-xerion-5000_auto-steering_9532_500

Edited by agrof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, M_longer said:

In Polish? :D

You can check it here if you want:

http://www.lugpol.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30072

There's one written review by Jim here on EB, and I think that it is enough :)

You speak (or write) perfect English, was just wondering if you would be posting it here.  No, I can't read Polish.  German, yes, and some Czech (have a HS friend from ages ago that moved back from US to his native Poland) but no other languages.  Jim did a great job of reviewing, just would be nice to have another reviewer's opinion as well.  I'd do it, but my grammar is far from perfect.  I'm assuming your review was in Polish since it is for your country's Lego group.  I'll check it out anyway. 

EDIT: I did go to your review and it was an easy read, just had Google translate it for me.  :wink: Great review btw.  

17 hours ago, agrof said:

They are far in scale. In reality they would compare like this:

 

Well, in reality they don't scale well, but the Lego versions side by side are much more even in scale.  I rather like to group my models that are close it scale together.  I definitely don't want an 8453 Front-End Loader, small scale, sitting next to a 8265 Front Loader, large scale.  

Edited by DarkShadow73

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No the Claas and Extreme Adventure are not to scale, the Claas is too small comparable to the Extreme Adventure, I have both in my display cabinet - but they both look impressive.  The fact you can use the Claas wheels on the Extreme Adventure tells you much about the scale of the two models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, iv-tecman said:

The fact you can use the Claas wheels on the Extreme Adventure tells you much about the scale of the two models. 

Or you can use 42069 tracks on CLAAS:

800x450.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, M_longer said:

Or you can use 42069 tracks on CLAAS:


That is a new twist lol 

Edited by iv-tecman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iv-tecman said:

That is a new twist lol 

Yeah, and due to its construction, they could be mounted seems to everywhere as replacement for 42000's / Claas wheel hubs, or Portal Hubs after a minor modification of kingpin mounting points. I really love these perfect tracks!
Did someone put them on 42070 already?  :tongue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Void_S said:

Did someone put them on 42070 already?

Lol.. :laugh: Probably you are the first to think about that :wink:

 

Do all the Steering modes still work? And would it be possible, to add a drivetrain to the tracks? 

 

Edited by HDGamer2424

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, HDGamer2424 said:

Do all the Steering modes still work? And would it be possible, to add a drivetrain to the tracks? 

It could work, but requires rebuilding the chassis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, M_longer said:

Or you can use 42069 tracks on CLAAS:

800x450.jpg

 

Anyone tried using 42069 tracks on 9398?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BrickWild said:

Anyone tried using 42069 tracks on 9398?

I did, but only on LDD so far. The Crawler becomes narrower by 4 studs: -1 without Portal Hub at the each side and -1 at the each side due to the tracks (they are narrower that tires) and lower by 2 studs, so I suppose that it becomes less stable against the side-roll and has a smaller ground clearance. Moreover, it looks to cute and small against 42069 :grin: 

9398%20A-Model%204x4%20Crawler%20(With%2

Edited by Void_S
Cropped the image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Void_S said:

The Crawler becomes narrower by 4 studs: -1 without Portal Hub at the each side and -1 at the each side due to the tracks (they are narrower that tires) and lower by 2 studs, so I suppose that it becomes less stable against the side-roll and has a smaller ground clearance.

And faster, without reduction in missing portal hubs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, M_longer said:

And faster, without reduction in missing portal hubs.

Well, I don't think so... There is no portal hubs with 20/12T gears reduction (1.6667 ratio), yes, but in the same time the wheels size is smaller as well, and the ratio is even bigger: 94.8mm (Crawler tire) vs. 41mm (big tread sprocket) has 2.312 coefficient, so 9398 Crawler with 42069 tread attachments slower in ~1.387 times (2.312 / 1.6667).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Void_S said:

Well, I don't think so... There is no portal hubs with 20/12T gears reduction (1.6667 ratio), yes, but in the same time the wheels size is smaller as well, and the ratio is even bigger: 94.8mm (Crawler tire) vs. 41mm (big tread sprocket) has 2.312 coefficient, so 9398 Crawler with 42069 tread attachments slower in ~1.387 times (2.312 / 1.6667).

Ah, right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The tracks on the Claas look really great despite the yellow sides (would look better with gray or red ones).

I assume they would look equally impressive on the 42029 Custom pickup to make it a trully custom custom pickup  :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think the 42069 track geometry is going to be the standard bogie geometry from now on.

Why not? They are strong enough, has a good bogie feature with nice limiters and could be easily mounted without any stress for a drivetrain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.