CM4Sci

Technic 2017 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

42069 looks nice, I look forward to seeing your review Jim! At my first impressions, I'd see how the model looks without the stickers. Is that a comparison that you did in your review? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim said:

I know they are completely different vehicles, but let's imagine you are a kid in a toy store....

Yes, I see your point ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim said:

Not long ago we only had this:

[image of 42024 with three primary colors]

We have evolved to this

[image of 42069 with black with patches of purple and yellow]

I know they are completely different vehicles, but let's imagine you are a kid in a toy store....

I'm not sure what you mean by this (first of all, 42024 is an extreme example. There's no other recent set with that many vibrant colors in a single vehicle, except, eh... 42070)). Are you implying kids prefer bright colors? Or the contrary, that kids will love black-purple? (And if so, why is 42070 blue-red-yellow?) All kids? What about Technic-loving kids? Are you implying that smaller sets should have bright colors, and larger sets shouldn't? Is black-purple more "adult" or more "serious" than blue-red-yellow? (And if so, then why is 42070 blue-red-yellow? What does the colors say about these two sets?) Is it good that 42069 has dark colors and 42070 has bright colors? Or is that bad, or neutral?

Lots of questions to be asked...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Jim is a magician! You've made 42069 look......good! Looking forward to seeing your pictures with wheels on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Are you implying kids prefer bright colors? 

I am implying (told by TLG) that toys these days have vibrant colors. This is for a reason. They appeal to kids more than regular red and blue etc. So when moms and dads (and kids) are in a toy store the LEGO sets need to be at least as appealing as the RC cars and other toys. That is one of the reasons (apart from us begging for years) that TLG is using more and more different (vibrant and/or bright) colors.

4 hours ago, allanp said:

I think Jim is a magician! You've made 42069 look......good! Looking forward to seeing your pictures with wheels on.

Hehe, that is quite a feat :laugh:

I have just shot about ten different wheel setups and some of them look really cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:moar: 

It's strange but many times a photo, even the top quality official photos, just can't do justice to how a set looks in real life. It happens many times that I build a set and despite seeing the picture on the box I am still surprised how good it looks in the flesh. Your pictures seem to capture the real life appeal. 

Btw, I know you're a busy man Jim, but any idea when the next report thingy is coming?

Edited by allanp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, allanp said:

:moar: 

Btw, I know you're a busy man Jim, but any idea when the next report thingy is coming?

I am aiming at Sunday, but I still need to most of the write-up. No guarantees, but I will do my best.

My nephews are at our for a sleep over and they can't stop playing with both sets. It's for the first time that have observed kids playing with Technic for a longer time and it's quite interesting. Hopefully tonight, tomorrow morning and Sunday will leave me with enough time to finish the review.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's awesome, but I meant that report thingy for which you needed our questions for the designers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, allanp said:

That's awesome, but I meant that report thingy for which you needed our questions for the designers.

Ahhh that. I will work on that after I finish the reviews. 

Sneak peak!

35929626301_9841e35dd6_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jim, can you put the Claas wheels and tyres on it too? Interested to see what this looks like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jim said:

Ahhh that. I will work on that after I finish the reviews. 

Sneak peak!

 

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Hi Jim, can you put the Claas wheels and tyres on it too? Interested to see what this looks like

 

1 hour ago, Jim said:

I have just shot about ten different wheel setups and some of them look really cool.

Done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jim, looking forward to the Review then. My only thought is do I buy the set and MOD or do I Bricklink what I think I'm missing and MOD. I do think it looks like a great Jeep on Wheels instead of tracks and a bit of playing with the track for the wheels and it could look great.

I think at the moment the only other colour you can switch the Purple parts to is Orange (from the Porsche) so I wonder what it would look like with a complete Orange body ... i think there's lots of possibilities

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I find some time, I can make it orange. Not sure if I will do that for the review, since the Porsche is at my work and I hope to finish the review Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jim said:

I am implying (told by TLG) that toys these days have vibrant colors. This is for a reason. They appeal to kids more than regular red and blue etc. So when moms and dads (and kids) are in a toy store the LEGO sets need to be at least as appealing as the RC cars and other toys. That is one of the reasons (apart from us begging for years) that TLG is using more and more different (vibrant and/or bright) colors.

I agree that vibrant colors appeal to young children, but is it the same for (boys) in age 11-16 as TLG is promoting? I'm not sure about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Seasider said:

I think at the moment the only other colour you can switch the Purple parts to is Orange (from the Porsche)

Yes, currently the wheel arches are available only in purple and orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if I get 42069 the first thing is to make narrower axles so the wheels don't protrude out from the wheel arches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I wonder how it looks with Power Puller tires. I am not sure if they fit though :grin: 

They fit...sort of :laugh: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it more with wheels if I'm honest.

It looks good, might have to pick this set up maybe and fit wheels instead, or see how I feel with the tracks when built. I do tend to find with Lego they look better once built then pics or box pics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, iv-tecman said:

I like it more with wheels if I'm honest.

It looks good, might have to pick this set up maybe and fit wheels instead, or see how I feel with the tracks when built. I do tend to find with Lego they look better once built then pics or box pics. 

Agreed, im not sure if those are the perfect wheels for it, but Jim's review will soon enough show us all

 

If i can find it cheap enough, i might get it and a set of decent wheels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the wheels pic, Jim. I am stoked to see other wheel setups. I realized a few days ago, looking at the set pics, that I like everything from the middle up. It's just the treads that are not doing it for me. With wheels it looks significantly more appealing. 

I am also not a fan of Purple vs Black. Not enough contrast, in my opinion. Very interested in seeing it in orange (and I hope the wheel arches come in black or white soon). I may end up buying it after all when it goes on the same 30% Amazon sale that the 2016 sets just did. 

I still really dislike 42070 though. I didn't like it back when we only had the design and I don't like it now that we have seen the functions. No flatbad especially kills it for me. Seeing Jim's review when he mentions how there are only a few pieces left and yet the model looks extremely unfinished is what put the nail in the coffin for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.