CM4Sci

Technic 2017 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

Numbered bags are great. Nobody wants 2000+ pieces randomly put on the table, and I don't want to spend most of the day organising the parts. I wish Lego could give a reason why they've done this, like most people have said: it's such a big pain!!!!!!!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, iv-tecman said:

It is a pain, but I tend to use tupperware boxes (food containers) to organise all the parts

Exactly what I do, but I don't bother to sort the parts. It's usually one or two bags per bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would guess it's a cheaper and easier process to bag parts by type only without having to number them or consider when in the build process you will need them. I mean, with the value you get with 42070 you can't expect them to number the bags as well! Oh wait, for that price ide want the bags numbered by each step of the instructions, 1 to 400 or whatever, in the yellow trays of old! To be fair I do really like that they have kept the lift up flap at least for the Technic flagships. You really need that to show off all the functions of a flagship Technic set. I do miss it being on all sets though and being able to see all the parts through the clear plastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Globemaster8 said:

Numbered bags are great. Nobody wants 2000+ pieces randomly put on the table, and I don't want to spend most of the day organising the parts. I wish Lego could give a reason why they've done this, like most people have said: it's such a big pain!!!!!!!!! 

I want pieces randomly on the table. I don't care numbered bags, for me building LEGO official sets is ZEN. Finding parts is a great separation method from the rushing, stressed outer world. :classic: That's why I don't understand the race on building time neither - but everybody does on her/his own way.

Edited by agrof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also prefer when bags are unnumbered. I like to have a big pile with parts in front of me, that's how building with Lego has always been. I'm glad the BWE had numbered bags though, 4000 parts on the table is a bit too much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, agrof said:

I want pieces randomly on the table. I don't care numbered bags, for me building LEGO official sets is ZEN. Finding parts is a great separation method from the rushing, stressed outer world. :classic: 

I have realised that that is indeed what makes me build LEGO. For me it is an ideal way of destressing ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason why I like numbered bags is that I like to be organised. I can't stand a huge miss mash of parts, taking up a huge amount of space. I suppose I'm a little ocd that way. Whatever floats your boat I suppose. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not being able to find something is one of my ideas of stress, repeating that a few thousand times just doesnt seem fun. So I'm all for the numbered bags especially if it means they can reduce the colour vomit. If you have to only look through bag one, as opposed to the whole set, that should reduce the need for colour vomit. And if you don't agree with that you can always just dump all the numbered bags out at once. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nicjasno said:

I really want inner trays back. They can be cardboard or whatever. The old boxes from the 80s and 90s were so much better. And when/if you collect them, parts are easier to organise.

That, and you didn't have to cut/tear part of the box to get in...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nicjasno said:

Numbered bags are useless after the first build anyway.

Good point; the only usage is to prepare them for plastic recycling...:laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ain't she a beauty! :wub:

35880385512_f50088731e_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand the choice for the purple panels. All black would have been way cooler! Your pictures make all technic sets look great ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I saw the first pictures of the 2H sets, I thought they were three of the worst looking sets ever released. 42069 was the worst looking in my opinion, but that has totally changed now. The set has went from being my least favorite, to being my favorite when it comes to both looks and functionality. The color scheme seems a bit odd, but it actually looks pretty good. 

Edited by HallBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

I don't understand the choice for the purple panels. All black would have been way cooler! Your pictures make all technic sets look great ...

Children don't like all black. This color is very appealing to them. Even my girlfriend likes it and I have had a girl and her mother visiting us and they both also really liked it and explicitly commented on the color. So, I think TLG did the right thing.

And trust me...the photo would not have looked as cool when it was all black.

15806204922_c3db8acc96_c.jpg

2 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

When I saw the first pictures of the 2H sets, I thought they were three of the worst looking sets ever released. 42069 was the worst looking in my opinion, but that has totally change now. The set has went from being my least favorite, to being my favorite when it comes to both looks and functionality. The color scheme seems a bit odd, but it actually looks pretty good. 

Agreed. Exactly my experience :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, suffocation said:

@Jim - If you want, I can go over your review before you publish it. Really looking forward to it and to your photography :wub:

Thanks for the offer, but I will do a better job proofreading my review this time. If you find stuff, feel free to PM or post.

Would 1024 as default image size for my reviews be too big?
(my default now is 800 wide)

35880385512_f50088731e_b.jpg

Compared to:

35880385512_f50088731e_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I trust your judgement, but I still have my doubts about the colour choice.

On the other hand, it is true if I look at Ken Blocks cars for instance, they are black with elements in these kind of colours: green, azure blue, and I also found a car with purple ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WvG_853 said:

I trust your judgement, but I still have my doubts about the colour choice.

On the other hand, it is true if I look at Ken Blocks cars for instance, they are black with elements in these kind of colours: green, azure blue, and I also found a car with purple ...

Not long ago we only had this:

16001013437_620660fe09_c.jpg

We have evolved to this

35880385512_f50088731e_c.jpg

I know they are completely different vehicles, but let's imagine you are a kid in a toy store....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jim said:

Would 1024 as default image size for my reviews be too big?
(my default now is 800 wide)

I suggest to go bigger, your amazing photos look much better at that size! (offtopic - do you have a post in the Technic photography topic about the setup you use? ) Nowadays most screens should have a decent resolution to fit that width.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kbalage said:

I suggest to go bigger, your amazing photos look much better at that size! (offtopic - do you have a post in the Technic photography topic about the setup you use? ) Nowadays most screens should have a decent resolution to fit that width.

Since I was working on a 360 degree view of the 42069, I suddenly wondered why I use 800 instead of 1024. 

There are several Photography topics (see the index), but this one is the most relevant:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking forward to your review Jim (although I've already made my mind about buying 42069 :tongue:

One thing I'm not too fond of is the excessive use of stickers, especially because they stop when they reach the purple panels. It seems incomplete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, jotta93 said:

I'm looking forward to your review Jim (although I've already made my mind about buying 42069 :tongue:

One thing I'm not too fond of is the excessive use of stickers, especially because they stop when they reach the purple panels. It seems incomplete

I see what you mean, but I do think that keeping the stickers (mostly) on the black panels results in some sort of balance. But you can definitely skip the stickers too see how it looks without.

Just finished the 360 degree viewer for the 42069 and I can't stop spinning it :wub:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jim I have also been curious about the setup behind your fantastic photos. I've seen the topic you linked to before, and I think your backdrop on the picture looks quite small. Are you using that exact setup when taking photos of larger models like 42070 as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HallBricks said:

@Jim I have also been curious about the setup behind your fantastic photos. I've seen the topic you linked to before, and I think your backdrop on the picture looks quite small. Are you using that exact setup when taking photos of larger models like 42070 as well?

If you like to know more, we can continue the discussion in one of the two topics about it. In short; yes, I do use the same setup. Although shooting the (box for the) BWE or 42070 does reach the limits of my backdrop. The 42009 was probably the most challenging to shoot, due to the size of the crane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.