CM4Sci

Technic 2017 Set Discussion

Recommended Posts

Let's talk about the sets again.

I noticed that the Airport Rescue Vehicle uses yellow 3L axles, while the truck uses light bluish grey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talking about sets, there's another clip about 42070. It shows the other side and shows where the steering gear is. It's rare to see the steering gear is placed off the center to the left.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With all the chatter of 42069 vs. 42070 and who is the "flagsip" set this year, I guess, if AFOLS want to unofficially mark 42069 as the flagship then the silver lining is that this year's flagship model is not the most expensive set this year.  A feat that is not always accomplished ! :grin:

Edited by nerdsforprez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

It's rare to see the steering gear is placed off the center to the left.

But now it's authentic to the most of real-life trucks :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

this year's flagship model is not the most expensive set this year

Last year's flagship isn't the most expensive either :grin::grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim said:

Let's talk about the sets again.

I noticed that the Airport Rescue Vehicle uses yellow 3L axles, while the truck uses light bluish grey.

The ARV is a bit vomit-esque where colour is concerned. The gear on top is tan, whereas black would work better. That's just a Pedersen trait, though; his sets are usually overly colourful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jim said:

Let's talk about the sets again.

I noticed that the Airport Rescue Vehicle uses yellow 3L axles, while the truck uses light bluish grey.

This has been the case with  many of the recent Technic sets. Same for the even length axles, in some sets some are red and in others black...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, merman said:

This has been the case with  many of the recent Technic sets. Same for the even length axles, in some sets some are red and in others black...

Yup. I don't really get the strategy. The truck does use other yellow and red axles, but not for 3L.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they do that to make sure all axles are still available in the old gray and black colors. They know many people like the old colors more, but they've still decided to do more color coding so by changing the colors of axles between sets, none of the more discreet colored axles will slip out of production.

Edited by HallBricks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jim said:

Yup. I don't really get the strategy. The truck does use other yellow and red axles, but not for 3L.

it has to do with the other length axles in the set, so it is easier to distinguish...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Parts for the 42068.

35533485320_f4c53da485_c.jpg

Part list for the 42069.

35922638785_da4107343e_c.jpg

35752839442_d6f63c768b_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The inventory for 42069 is most interesting to me. Lots of useful parts in grey and black. The seven light gray 11L axles are welcome :thumbup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

The inventory for 42069 is most interesting to me. Lots of useful parts in grey and black. The seven light gray 11L axles are welcome :thumbup:

...and 10 universal joints and 11 dbg connectors with two axle hole...:excited:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Refreshing Sariel's channel every 5 mintues...

90% done editing, having a supper break. I'd say 3 more hours to go, all things considered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Talking about sets, there's another clip about 42070. It shows the other side and shows where the steering gear is. It's rare to see the steering gear is placed off the center to the left.

Yup. Since there's is no embargo, I can post a sneak preview video here.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not understand why they are using L beams to connect portal axles instead of those dark brown connectors? Also is there lots of backslash in the steering due to the driverings?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Sariel said:

90% done editing, having a supper break. I'd say 3 more hours to go, all things considered.

3hour supper? you must be hungry :wink:

no seriously, take you time, I feel like we are pressurizing you

33 minutes ago, Jim said:

Parts for the 42069.

 

 

 

Thank you! nearly 400 pages. Interesting.

Edited by J_C

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I do not understand why they are using L beams to connect portal axles instead of those dark brown connectors? Also is there lots of backslash in the steering due to the driverings?

Complicated for no reason if you asked me or has something to do with B-model which IMHO is not exactly masterpiece (not to say something that is not polite in public). The more I see about this set the less I'm interested in,,,*huh*
 

I have a feeling that Jim will be more disappointed with 42070 review that with Unimog U 400 review...


 

Edited by I_Igor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like 42070 will be pretty complicated, with all the function switchers. But I agree that the front steering is overcomplicated.

@Jim You said both parts list photos you posted were of 42069, when the first one was 42068. :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Looks like 42070 will be pretty complicated, with all the function switchers. But I agree that the front steering is overcomplicated.

@Jim You said both parts list photos you posted were of 42069, when the first one was 42068. :wink:

I was just writing that, darn. You beat me by a few seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

@Jim You said both parts list photos you posted were of 42069, when the first one was 42068. :wink:

Oops. Corrected. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Jim How are the tools in the toolkit (#6103444) in the 42068 packaged? Are the tools in a small bags or are they scattered around like other pieces?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Seriously, is that the whole range of the steering? That thing can't even do a full circle in my garden.
And dark purple has the same problem as dark azure - no connectors. One straight beam, two non-straight beams, some plates and slopes and all the rest is panels.
Why, TLC?
 
Also, I counted the gears using the part lists:
42068: 3+2+1+4+8+1+6+4+3 = 32 gears
42069: 1+11+1+4+9+1+4+3+2+1 = 37 gears
42070: 1+3+4+7+3+10+13+1+21+1+12+13+2+13 = 104 gears
To be honest, 42069, the set I considered the most interesting, really disappoints here, and 42070 comes out much, much better here. (I may have miscounted, but even as an estimate it's interesting).
 
Also, a misprint in the BOM of 42068, where yellow axles 7 have a (5) marker.
 
Also interesting: instructions for 42069 and 42070 have nearly the same number of pages. Their prices are almost a factor 2 apart. What's going on?
 
But many interesting things are to be found in all those part lists. Many of the new parts, many brown axles with stops in all sets, lots of the very rare yellow 1x3 xox cross block. Why ten U-joints in 42069? Also, in all three sets, to my disappointment, Lego apparently has lost the ability to work with the numbered panels, in favor of large plate panels. Lots of strange yellow stuff in 42070; why? Large amounts of red and yellow axles. 27x 1x5x0.5 gray xooox beam in 42069.
 
Many things to observe. Im still very much looking forward to the reviews that are coming upon us in due time :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Erik Leppen said:

Why ten U-joints in 42069

4 for all wheel drive, 2 for the HOG, 2 to connect two differentials to the center, 2 to connect the HOG to the front wheels.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:
Also, I counted the gears using the part lists:
42068: 3+2+1+4+8+1+6+4+3 = 32 gears
42069: 1+11+1+4+9+1+4+3+2+1 = 37 gears
42070: 1+3+4+7+3+10+13+1+21+1+12+13+2+13 = 104 gears

I counted 33 for the 42068 including worm gears, diff case and mini turn table top.

3+4+2+6+1+7+4+1+3+2 = 33

and 110 for the 42070.

13+2+4+1+13+1+1+3+4+7+3+10+13+21+1+1+12=110

Edited by SNIPE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.