Yes Uwe Wabra is designer of 42070. I think he is the (technic) designer that is currently longest time with TLG

I wonder if the "067" could be a second car to go with the Porsche but  from 1967 ?

I did a search on this to see if there was anything of interest/importance from that year and the one gem I came up with was Alfa Romeo had a Concept car at the Expo 67 which then became known as the Montreal when it was later released as a production car.

just a thought

hoping that whatever the second 40th surprise is that it's a good one that will get me spending my hard earned cash

Edited by Seasider

4 hours ago, LvdH said:

Uwe also designed the amazing 8258 Crane truck. I wonder if 42070 has some mechanical marvel inside somewhere because Uwe is definitely not a bad designer.

8258 and 9397 are damn cool, as is 8285. Uwe's had some misfires, though: 8041 is a bit rubbish, and a lot of his sets I'm just plain not keen on, like 42022 and the gappy 42030. To his credit, he does balance studded and studless well, and avoids big Bionicle/Hero Factory/System pieces (Pedersen!). 42070 could still go either way here.

Edited by Maaboo35
Formatting issue

2 hours ago, Seasider said:

I wonder if the "067" could be a second car to go with the Porsche but  from 1967 ?

I did a search on this to see if there was anything of interest/importance from that year and the one gem I came up with was Alfa Romeo had a Concept car at the Expo 67 which then became known as the Montreal when it was later released as a production car.

just a thought

hoping that whatever the second 40th surprise is that it's a good one that will get me spending my hard earned cash

one car comes to mind which dominated in '67  the Ford GT40

With all this "067" talks I can't see how off-road tow truck could relate to some (old) sports car. Imagine how is going to look - it just doesn't make sense.

2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

8258 and 9397 are damn cool, as is 8285. Uwe's had some misfires, though: 8041 is a bit rubbish, and a lot of his sets I'm just plain not keen on, like 42022 and the gappy 42030. To his credit, he does balance studded and studless well, and avoids big <insert that tiresome argument> Bionicle/Hero Factory/System pieces (Pedersen!). 42070 could still go either way here.

You have quite high standards. I find 42022 well built for it size as well as 42030. LEGO isn't die-cast models, so gaps, especially in Technic are something you should expect.

6 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

8258 and 9397 are damn cool, as is 8285. Uwe's had some misfires, though: 8041 is a bit rubbish, and a lot of his sets I'm just plain not keen on, like 42022 and the gappy 42030. To his credit, he does balance studded and studless well, and avoids big Bionicle/Hero Factory/System pieces (Pedersen!). 42070 could still go either way here.

I know this is a little off topic, sorry for that. I thought your comment regarding Alfred Pedersen and bionicle/hero factory parts was interesting, could you give an example of a set he has designed where such pieces are used? Personally, I don't mind the usage of non-technic parts, I think it's interesting to see how parts can be used in different ways.

Just now, zux said:

With all this "067" talks I can't see how off-road tow truck could relate to some (old) sports car. Imagine how is going to look - it just doesn't make sense.

You have quite high standards. I find 42022 well built for it size as well as 42030. LEGO isn't die-cast models, so gaps, especially in Technic are something you should expect.

The front of 42030 didn't help it, especially viewed from the side. It's still a great model, it's just not for me. Same with 42022; it doesn't interest me. Doesn't mean it isn't good. I flat out dislike 8041 though.

39 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I thought your comment regarding Alfred Pedersen and bionicle/hero factory parts was interesting, could you give an example of a set he has designed where such pieces are used?

For example, the 8264 Hauler uses Bionicle parts to simulate its engine. I think the 42049 Mine Loader, with its Hero Factory barrel, is by him too.

23 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

For example, the 8264 Hauler uses Bionicle parts to simulate its engine. I think the 42049 Mine Loader, with its Hero Factory barrel, is by him too.

This set was designed by Lars K.J.

25 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

It is. Not to mention 42064 and its big honkin' Ninjago part. @Timorzelorzworz the 42049 B-model was designed by Lars Krogh Jensen. The A was done by Pedersen. Pedersen also uses the big Jack Stone exhaust pipe in his models, such as 42035, 42034 and 42049.

Edited by Maaboo35

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

It is. Not to mention 42064 and its big honkin' Ninjago part.

42064 as a Olav K. model. Alfred Pederson is the designer of 2017 firetruck 42068. By the way the 8264 Hauler is designed by Markus Kossmann

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

6 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

42064 as a Olav K. model. Alfred Pederson is the designer of 2017 firetruck 42068. By the way the 8264 Hauler is designed by Markus Kossmann

No, Techlug.fr confirms it was Pedersen who designed the ship. Not sure about 42068, but 8264 is Pedersen's handiwork. It even has 'AP' and 'Alfredo' written on the stickers! I also think he did 42061.

Look. I'm not saying Pedersen is a bad designer. He's off the wall and clearly tries to be innovative, and most of the time he succeeds. I just think some of his work pales next to that of Kossmann, Jeppesen, Kroigaard and Reindl. I own some of his models and I like them. I also like that he designs unusual-for-Technic vehicles like fire trucks, the hooklift truck and the mine loader (although LKJ apparently got the idea for that one).

Edited by Maaboo35

I thougth the designer is the guy who talked in the designers on tour video. Why should another designer by invited as the designer. Sometimes, techlug is wrong with the Information.

4 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

I thougth the designer is the guy who talked in the designers on tour video. Why should another designer by invited as the designer. Sometimes, techlug is wrong with the Information.

The info on 42049 is on the Technic blog (Cool Cave Crawling Creature), and confirms that Pedersen worked on the main model. LKJ built the driller. For some reason Pedersen is one of two designers (along with a Mr. Wabra) never to appear in a video. And Wabra's even done photos, so that makes Alfredo the most elusive designer. His most recent bio picture, since taken down, didn't even show his face (he was backwards). I'm actually quite fascinated by him. 42068 does look like something he'd design, too, and it's a good model, though that tan bevel gear on top - eww. Black works great too, Alf... it's the 8295 colour vomit all over again!

Edited by Maaboo35

Information regarding lego designers is very reliable on techlug.fr

Sometimes, it is something we can guess. And it is actually quite funny to guess who did what model (and I confirm, 42068 looks very much like Alfred style).

But if the name of a designer is written in a techlug review, you can be sure there is no mistake : I got the information from people inside TLG (Technic team manager and designers).

is there any info if any (which) set will be discontinued from H2 2017? 

Edited by J_C

Just now, J_C said:

is there any info if any (which) set will be discontinued from H2 2017? 

Let's not discuss this here. This is the 2017 set discussion. 

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Let's not discuss this here. This is the 2017 set discussion. 

sorry, I thought that is exactly part of the topic. 

Just now, J_C said:

sorry, I thought that is exactly part of the topic. 

This is about the upcoming 2017 sets, not 2015 or 2014 sets which will be discontinued. Other than that, there are no clear rules. You can create a new topic if you like :thumbup:

On the instruction manuals in the Jan-Jun sets, it shows 42062, but I haven't seen them in any stores. Has it been released in the U.S. yet?

Not sure if this should be in this topic, but I noticed something interesting about set 41239, which is in the Super Hero Girls theme, called "Eclipso Dark Palace": it has a few Technic pieces in a dark pink colour (probably either Dark Pink or Magenta): the 2x5x7 panels, a #5 angle connector and soft axles (my guess is 12L). The part below the axles could be pin joiners, but that's hard to see. It also has two dark purple 2x3x5 panels, probably the same colour also found in 42069. Not sure how such a set justifies speciallty creating pink Technic pieces, but I find it pretty interesting.

https://brickset.com/sets/41239-1/Eclipso-Dark-Palace

Edit: probably Magenta. No axle joiners. There are two large pink pillars.

41239-1.jpg?201705190120

Edited by Erik Leppen
new info

The Brick Time now has posted HQ pics of 2H 2017 range!

42070:

34619328844_11fd2ed3e7_b.jpg

35420796926_71b6d74e99_b.jpg

35294215282_1c232211ed_b.jpg

42069:

35074403730_30b29ea7cd_b.jpg

35330537791_41a18a9c84_b.jpg

35294216752_feefd28dec_b.jpg

42068:

35074403420_156b96e2cf_b.jpg

34619329304_d4050a9238_b.jpg

35294216202_d1432b3540_b.jpg