The pics are on instagram, user lego_peru the pics are basically early previews of catalogues for upcoming 2018 sets. it really doesn't show too much but there clearly is something big and a truck coming. But its a black silhouette, so it could be anything truck wise. 

Hi,

Please, further discussion in the 2018 topic :wink: 

I am wondering about the 42065 RC Tracked Racer.  It is $99 USD, but most all of you probably know that.  

Has anybody bought and built the 42065?  I realize it isn't very 'Technicy' since it has no gears, only PF parts.

Is it worth the buy?  I have everything now for 2017 except the 42064 boat, just doesn't interest me that much.  

Any feedback appreciated.  They only have 1 left at a TRU, so I sorta have decide quickly.  

Thanks in advance.

On 8/21/2017 at 3:58 AM, AOW said:

Camera operator is Sariel ... 

can't understand why he keeps messing with the camera about 20-25 min into the video, it was perfect really, but the blurring then clearing then blurring again is rather distracting.   As far as his reviews go, he is definitely one of the best.  

Edited by DarkShadow73

DarkShadow73 I have bought two or three of those for the PF parts which I do not have many. I bought them for much less than the RPP. The last one for like 48€ and other two for 58€.

It is a fun thing to play with for a while but the capabilities are limited and people mod them with buggy motors, s-brick and others.

If you are looking for the PF parts and can buy it cheap - go for it.

Just now, LEGOFANNER said:

Sorry, I can't. It's closed by Milan.

There's a new 2018 topic.

11 hours ago, Qukie said:

DarkShadow73 I have bought two or three of those for the PF parts which I do not have many. I bought them for much less than the RPP. The last one for like 48€ and other two for 58€.

It is a fun thing to play with for a while but the capabilities are limited and people mod them with buggy motors, s-brick and others.

If you are looking for the PF parts and can buy it cheap - go for it.

@Qukie - thanks for the reply.  I checked Amazon and a few other websites that sell the current sets, but nobody has it cheaper than RRP right now in the US.  I do have plenty of PF parts, so that's not the issue, but I also understand that 42070 has a new version of the IR receiver, not sure if 42065 does as well, esp since it was released on your side of the pond in January.  We didn't get these 1H sets until 1 August. 

I get what you are saying about it being fun for a while, I'm just a huge fan RC kits.  Btw, what are buggy motors?  Is it a Lego product or something else?  I've heard of the S-brick, where do you go to buy such a part?  I don't think Lego sells those.

Thanks.

DarkShadow73 if you have a lot of PF parts I would wait for the set price to drop unless you have a lot of money$ on your account

Maybe try building it from your parts using the online instructions and if you like it then buy the set.

As for the buggy motors they are these and they make RC models fast :wink:

d4e4o5g414p3y404z274x2w234q2r2h4v5f40423

Edited by Qukie

4 hours ago, DarkShadow73 said:

Btw, what are buggy motors?

These beasts:

r5292.jpg

They are the best motors for making things faster, but can be hard to use with full power. The best way to run them is to use an RC Unit and Steering, which are made for this motor. 

On 8/23/2017 at 8:56 PM, TechnicRCRacer said:

These beasts:

r5292.jpg

They are the best motors for making things faster, but can be hard to use with full power. The best way to run them is to use an RC Unit and Steering, which are made for this motor. 

@TechnicRCRacer - yeah, but try to get your hands on 1 of these nowadays, way out of reach as far as price by itself or in the motor kit pre-PF.  I have 2 8421 Mobile Crane sets that use these motors and I bought an 8287 kit back in 2006 to motorize the 8285 Tow Truck's B model.  I have since taken it apart, I have a shoebox with all special assemblies I've built for various models, I might just have that motor in there.  I never toss a part unless its in bad shape.  

On 8/24/2017 at 6:48 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think the 42070 should be named "Recovery Truck" instead of "Tow Truck".

@Ngoc Nguyen - I agree with you.  No wheel lift spells Recovery Truck only.  I managed to pick up 42070 for $225 at TRU, so at least some price solace there.  

On 8/23/2017 at 4:38 AM, Jim said:

There's a new 2018 topic.

@Jim - so is this 2017 Set Discussion closing or closed? I know there have been very few posts and replies in the past week or so.  Do we continue to discuss 2017 sets in the 2018 Set Discussion?  Just curious...

Edited by DarkShadow73

This is the topic for 2017 set discussion and the other topic is for the 2018 sets. This topic will remain open, just like previous year's topics.

16 hours ago, Jim said:

This is the topic for 2017 set discussion and the other topic is for the 2018 sets. This topic will remain open, just like previous year's topics.

Thanks Jim.  I've never been this active in a set discussion before so just wondered.  

I am going (finally) to write a reviews of 42069 for polish LUGs soon, so here's comparision of 42069 with 42054:

800x511.jpg

I think Technic sets this year follow a theme. The main theme is undoubtedy "exploring", as evidenced by 42064 Ocean Explorer, 42069 Extreme Adventure, 42070 B Explorer Vehicle (maybe 42063 BMW too). I also think there is also a turn into fictional civilianized, military-inspired vehicles, as seen in 42066 and 42070. The VTOL function is more dominant in military aircraft, and 6x6 recovery trucks are rare even for civil off-road recovery,

21 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I think Technic sets this year follow a theme. The main theme is undoubtedy "exploring", as evidenced by 42064 Ocean Explorer, 42069 Extreme Adventure, 42070 B Explorer Vehicle (maybe 42063 BMW too). I also think there is also a turn into fictional civilianized, military-inspired vehicles, as seen in 42066 and 42070. The VTOL function is more dominant in military aircraft, and 6x6 recovery trucks are rare even for civil off-road recovery,

I like the whole 'futuristic fictional vehicle' theme. I know TLG overdid it in the late 90's (except for 8446, which is bloody awesome!), but I think Technic could do with it now, to balance out the more 'real-worldy' stuff and licensed sets. 42038 fits in this category as well, and that's a good set as well. You could argue 42070's B is a misfire (Sariel certainly did), but there's definitely room for more.

I've just realized that I like the 42066 B model more than the A model, because the appearance and the color match the style of a Gulfstream private jet more than a supposedly "race" or "military lookalike" jet. And that wie wingspan makes it look cooler when swooshed. Also I live next to an airport, so I see planes like the B model more often.

I saw 42066 at the local Lego store Friday and dang! I had no idea the set was so big! I'm not a fan of the short wings on the A model but maybe I'll purchase it for the B model.

Edited by karmajay

On 8/30/2017 at 7:39 AM, Maaboo35 said:

I like the whole 'futuristic fictional vehicle' theme. I know TLG overdid it in the late 90's (except for 8446, which is bloody awesome!), but I think Technic could do with it now, to balance out the more 'real-worldy' stuff and licensed sets. 42038 fits in this category as well, and that's a good set as well. You could argue 42070's B is a misfire (Sariel certainly did), but there's definitely room for more.

I was rather interested in the 42070 B model.  Maybe because it's just different, one could say the same for the 42069 B model, very unusual.  That being said, I plan on building both.  I realize that 42070 B doesn't look to use anywhere near the same amount of parts, or gears for that matter, than the main model, but it just looks interesting.  I know Sariel really bombed the 42070 in general in his review.  I read it and do agree on many points, but curiosity got the better of me so I downloaded the B model instructions.  Luckily I got a great deal on the 2nd 42070 I bought, so even if the B model 'sucks' once I build it, I can always build another tow truck...

On 9/4/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I've just realized that I like the 42066 B model more than the A model, because the appearance and the color match the style of a Gulfstream private jet more than a supposedly "race" or "military lookalike" jet. And that wie wingspan makes it look cooler when swooshed. Also I live next to an airport, so I see planes like the B model more often.

I do agree with you on the 42066B.  It took a long time to get to the US, but upon looking at both models, I do think I like the Private Jet better.  I'm not planning on using the stickers on the wings or other parts, so it will easily be built and look good.  

On 8/28/2017 at 3:42 PM, M_longer said:

I am going (finally) to write a reviews of 42069 for polish LUGs soon, so here's comparision of 42069 with 42054:

Nice comparison shot.  Looks like both are the same scale.  Will you be putting your review on EB?

7 hours ago, DarkShadow73 said:

Nice comparison shot.  Looks like both are the same scale. 

They are far in scale. In reality they would compare like this:

claas-xerion-5000_auto-steering_9532_500

Edited by agrof

11 hours ago, M_longer said:

In Polish? :D

You can check it here if you want:

http://www.lugpol.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30072

There's one written review by Jim here on EB, and I think that it is enough :)

You speak (or write) perfect English, was just wondering if you would be posting it here.  No, I can't read Polish.  German, yes, and some Czech (have a HS friend from ages ago that moved back from US to his native Poland) but no other languages.  Jim did a great job of reviewing, just would be nice to have another reviewer's opinion as well.  I'd do it, but my grammar is far from perfect.  I'm assuming your review was in Polish since it is for your country's Lego group.  I'll check it out anyway. 

EDIT: I did go to your review and it was an easy read, just had Google translate it for me.  :wink: Great review btw.  

17 hours ago, agrof said:

They are far in scale. In reality they would compare like this:

Well, in reality they don't scale well, but the Lego versions side by side are much more even in scale.  I rather like to group my models that are close it scale together.  I definitely don't want an 8453 Front-End Loader, small scale, sitting next to a 8265 Front Loader, large scale.  

Edited by DarkShadow73