@schraubedrin I wasnt aware that it actually mattered for functionality... but I think on a steering axle the non-linearity can be discarded.

Still, its a relief that my case isnt only OCD:laugh:

9 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

If i'm seeing this right and there is an universal joint at either end of the red axle for steering the joints aren't oriented correctly to compensate their non-linearity.

@aeh5040 made a perfect example of what i mean here:

Interesting topic and it definitely makes sense. I will pay more attention in the future :wink: :thumbup:

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

Ahhh I see what you mean. To be honest; I never purposely align them. Does that really matter?

In this case I don't know .... but with 8043, there were an issue with vibration if you didn't align the u-joints properly ...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVJDCuiDAoDtPDWu5OLix

This is isn't mentioned in the instructions, right? 

Well...I have probably placed them correctly in 50% of the cases :laugh:

44 minutes ago, Jim said:

Ahhh I see what you mean. To be honest; I never purposely align them. Does that really matter?

Yes, it does. I remember a while ago someone made a rotating MOC and shown us how important it is to align them . If they are not aligned, the rotation becomes uneven. 

Just now, LXF said:

Yes, it does. I remember a while ago someone made a rotating MOC and shown us how important it is to align them . If they are not aligned, the rotation becomes uneven. 

Before you answer, please read some of the previous posts :wink:

The thing with u-joints is really interesting and it didn't occured to me, very good to know, thank you for poiting it out!

1 hour ago, hsky said:

Here you can see the Extreme Adventure without the stickers :-P

So there is a way to make this set even look better.

I have to say: this model grows on me. At first i didn't care to much about it; but with the review of @Sariel it got my attention. With the review of @Jim it will have me convinced.

6 hours ago, hsky said:

Thank you! (I was asking Jim about this in the review discussion, but he had the stickers already on the car). I really appreciate this picture. Thanks.

9 hours ago, hsky said:

It's not that bad without stickers. :look:

Very few sets look OK without stickers

8 hours ago, JunkstyleGio said:

So there is a way to make this set even look better.

I have to say: this model grows on me. At first i didn't care to much about it; but with the review of @Sariel it got my attention. With the review of @Jim it will have me convinced.

Someone is clairvoyant around here :grin: truth is that @Jim's reviews are really good. Looking forward to see varius tires installed on 42069 set (I know that he posted some but more will come with review :thumbup:)

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Looking forward to see varius tires installed on 42069 set (I know that he posted some but more will come with review :thumbup:)

No more waiting...check it out.

I have Pinned the review temporarily as someone suggested earlier.

2 hours ago, I_Igor said:

Very few sets look OK without stickers

In my humble opinion, stickers are the abomination of recent Technic. The last few years, sets became so reliant not only on panels but mainly on stickered panels it's not funny anymore. I find it a worrying trend that designers rely on stickers rather than actual detailing. I think if a model doesn't look right without stickers, the design is sub-par. 

Fortunately, I think most sets look perfectly fine without stickers. 42069 looks great without stickers (much better than with them).

Now, off to reading the review :grin:

13 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Not for functionality of course... But I always allign every bush and even gears and other stuff just for the sake of looks... Call me crazy, but it gives me some satisfaction

I do that as well, even the various the pins, just anal that way I guess

So, dropped the bomb and bought 42070.  I counted the gears from a jpg image someone posted several pages back, and counted 95 gears (not including the 5 differentials).  Figured if anything it would be a fun build and could be a display model. Only way to justify it was using a few Rewards coupons at TRU...they seem to be getting most of the new kits in as of late last week, they are also on their US website.  I saw 42068, 69, 70 (and in my area none of 2nd half 2016 kits we're available in-store until a couple months ago, odd.  I also saw 42062 and 42066.  No sign of 42064 and 65 though, thought that rather weird, they also aren't posted on their website under the Technic themed kits I have bookmarked. Even the 2H2016 sets you have to manually type in, but some are overinflated, esp 42056 for $369.99 USD, which is insane, and that item says you have to wait 5-10 days for it to ship, some guessing maybe they have to order direct from Lego and possibly drop-ship, don't know.  For the longest time 42056 was at MSRP on TRU's website, then it just jumped $70, go figure.  

Also got another 42069 for the B model, when the instructions are released on Lego's site, which I believe won't happen until official release date of 1 Aug, or after.  I recall 9397's B model instructions took like 2 months and lot of AFOL's complaints about this before they we're uploaded to the site.  Plan on getting another 42068 once I get paid, again for the B-model.  Can't afford another 42070 for the B-model, too overpriced until possibly all my purchases there lately add up to Rewards coupons.

That's basically my Lego budget for the year.  Not as good as last several year's kits, but nonetheless, I am an avid collector of nearly every kit released.  Overall I'd say this has been a good year even if us Americans didn't get the 1H larger models until now. 

John Lewis showing 42069 and 42070, but 42070 showing out of stock. I'm going to try get 42069 this week.

H

42070 is not worth £219. I'll get set 42069 as that is listed for £139, which is a an ok is price for the entire set. 42068 I'll also pick up and grab a PF kit for it.

Technic flagship model this year is a big disappointment sadly. 

13 minutes ago, Horace T said:

I would say the best set is the flagship (42069).

H

I thought set 42070 was the flagship set for 2017?

Just now, iv-tecman said:

Sarcasm :wink:

15 minutes ago, iv-tecman said:

I'm not putting my flag into that :wink: .

oh so I take it most are regarding set 42069 as the flagship for 2017 and not 42070?

I prefer set 42069 over 42070 as well, and its a heck of a lot cheaper 

The number of pieces shouldn't be used to measure a set. If every bush were to be replaced with two half-bushes, the part count would increase and the price-per-part would decrease. But the set wouldn't improve because of those two factors.

Of course, I'm not saying that in this case the 42070 is better or worse than the 42069, I'm just against the metrics used.