Thanks guys. Here's the bottom to view to keep you busy while waiting :wink: 

35251358563_dbae1f8370_b.jpg

There's a lot going on there.

are there a couple of 3L 4 pin connectors right in the middle semi floating ?

Like I said already, Best Technic set in 2017, but I'm starting to like 42068 after review by @Sariel; not to mention reviews from our expert photographer @Jim

This makes me really curious how they managed to use universal joints for the steering axle.

Previously i thought the technic links were positioned at the same height as the axle to guarantee a constant length. but now ...

10 minutes ago, schraubedrin said:

This makes me really curious how they managed to use universal joints for the steering axle.

Previously i thought the technic links were positioned at the same height as the axle to guarantee a constant length. but now ...

9398 and 8110 also use unis on live front axles and 8880 even manages it with independent suspension.

Just now, valenciaeric said:

9398 and 8110 also use unis on live front axles and 8880 even manages it with independent suspension.

9398 uses the central big ball joint with a universal joint inside, so both joints have the same rotation center.
I've never seen 8880 up close so i don't know where exactly universal joints get used.

Now i'm curious about 8110, i'll investigate.

The problem i'm talking about is that the live axle doesn't rotate around a single pivot point so without a perfectly tuned suspension there shouldn't be a direct line of constant length between the chassis and the axle.

Just now, schraubedrin said:

9398 uses the central big ball joint with a universal joint inside, so both joints have the same rotation center.
I've never seen 8880 up close so i don't know where exactly universal joints get used.

Now i'm curious about 8110, i'll investigate.

The problem i'm talking about is that the live axle doesn't rotate around a single pivot point so without a perfectly tuned suspension there shouldn't be a direct line of constant length between the chassis and the axle.

They compensate this problem with  combination of 5L links and CV joint behind differential housing, 8110 Unimog U400 has it on steering (one of reasons that 8110 steering is not something special; not to say gisapointing), so not such big deal :wink:

Just now, I_Igor said:

5L links and CV joint behind differential housing

I just found it in the Unimog instructions. Is it solved the same way in 42069?

Just now, schraubedrin said:

I just found it in the Unimog instructions. Is it solved the same way in 42069?

Similar, just solution  with combination of universal joint and CV joint from  Unimog steering is used for front (tracks) drive on 42069 set. Difference is that Unimog uses 5.5 axle, and 42069 uses red colored axle 6

12 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

combination of universal joint and CV joint

Ah, i was confused because there are only two universal joints visible on the steering axle:

w2MRBq8.jpg

(upper axle in gray is drive, lower axle in red is steering)

Is the CV joint then somewhere inside the axle?

To be a little nitpicking, @Jim, those universal joints aren't in the right orientation :wink:

Edited by schraubedrin
Some clarification

1 hour ago, schraubedrin said:

Ah, i was confused because there are only two universal joints visible on the steering axle:

(upper axle in gray is drive, lower axle in red is steering)

Is the CV joint then somewhere inside the axle?

To be a little nitpicking, @Jim, those universal joints aren't in the right orientation :wink:

No worries :wink:

9 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

I don't know what you mean? Care to elaborate?

@Jim the little "slit" in the bushes of the ujoints are not in the same direction on both ends of the red (steering) axle... One of them should be turned by a quarter rotation

Edited by Rudivdk

Just now, Rudivdk said:

@Jim the little "slit" in the bushes of the ujoints are not in the same direction on both ends of the red (steering) axle...

Ahhh I see what you mean. To be honest; I never purposely align them. Does that really matter?

Just now, Jim said:

Ahhh I see what you mean. To be honest; I never purposely align them. Does that really matter?

Not for functionality of course... But I always allign every bush and even gears and other stuff just for the sake of looks... Call me crazy, but it gives me some satisfaction

Just now, Rudivdk said:

Not for functionality of course... But I always allign every bush and even gears and other stuff just for the sake of looks... Call me crazy, but it gives me some satisfaction

I'm no stranger to some OCD, so I know what you mean. But I never considered aligning them. For the rest of my life, I will think about this when building :laugh:

Here you can see the Extreme Adventure without the stickers :-P

cw4samgu.jpg

Just now, hsky said:

Here you can see the Extreme Adventure without the stickers :-P

Well I must say it looks very good without stickers. Think I even like it better without...

15 minutes ago, Jim said:

Care to elaborate?

If i'm seeing this right and there is an universal joint at either end of the red axle for steering the joints aren't oriented correctly to compensate their non-linearity.

@aeh5040 made a perfect example of what i mean here:

What is the purpose of those 9l links? As they are connected to 3l beams, which seem to be able to rotate, they won't affect the suspension. Are they used for the b model?