9 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

Thanks for the wheels pic, Jim. I am stoked to see other wheel setups. I realized a few days ago, looking at the set pics, that I like everything from the middle up. It's just the treads that are not doing it for me. With wheels it looks significantly more appealing. 

7 setups and 2 variants (9 pics). I will create a poll to count all your votes. While I immediately thought that this model needed wheels, I am not so sure anymore :wink:

13 hours ago, Jim said:

Ahhh that. I will work on that after I finish the reviews. 

Sneak peak!

Jim -

I picked up 42068 and 69 today at Toys R Us.  I know I asked last week what wheel/rim size would work in replacing the tracks on 42069, but I didn't get any replies, likely cause nobody knew. Not trying to get info from you since you may post Sunday, but am wondering if you think 81.6x38 balloon tires and a rim that mates with it (in so many larger Technic kits) would work?

I don't have the power puller set, nor could I sacrifice a 42054 for the tractor tires as another member suggested.  It looks like possibly on the sneak peek pic that those are the size tires/rims from 42030, but I don't have any spares of that either. 

I must say I was really surprised at the smallness of the 42068 box in relation to the piece count.  

Thanks much.

They absolutely work. If I am not mistaken, Sariel already used those tires. Only the PP and Claas wheels are too big. I will also post a small setup on how to convert the treads into wheels.

9 hours ago, DarkShadow73 said:

I must say I was really surprised at the smallness of the 42068 box in relation to the piece count.  

Thanks much.

About 50% of the content are all the different pins. Actual beams, panels and rods are down to the minimum.

For the first time I have had a flex axle melted to the bag. I recall other people having the same experience.

This makes my 42068 the first set with production failures....not counting design failures hehe.

42069 has 2382 parts and a price of 139 euro. That 5,8 cent per part. That's what I call value for money.

Having watched Sariel's video, I'm really impressed with the 42068. The designer (Alfred?) really pulled out the stops, especially with the steering. Definitely an improvement on 8455! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Jim said:

42069 has 2382 parts and a price of 139 euro. That 5,8 cent per part. That's what I call value for money.

Crazily, it only has about 50 more pins than 42068. There are a lot of small non-technic parts but it does seem to be a fairly good parts donor, especially with the 4 new wheel wing panels.

4 hours ago, Jim said:

For the first time I have had a flex axle melted to the bag. I recall other people having the same experience.

This makes my 42068 the first set with production failures....not counting design failures hehe.

Quickly, call the fire dep... oh, wait :laugh: 

I can't say I've ever experienced a part melted to the plastic bag, sounds like an unusual happening to me.

12 minutes ago, Error404 said:

Quickly, call the fire dep... oh, wait :laugh: 

I can't say I've ever experienced a part melted to the plastic bag, sounds like an unusual happening to me.

I had a wheel hub melt, but not directly from package.

Calling 911 now.. :laugh:

On another note, I had an idea that maybe the upcoming 40th anniversary event can be a design your own 42065 body contest. I recalled from a video on Youtube in which Milan said he only used 4 pin to attach the upper body and let it sit loose because that allows for customization. This sounds familiar with what we have for 9398.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

47 minutes ago, LvdH said:

The Porsche 911? Better hope the gearbox works correctly or it won't get there :laugh: 

I used to joke about that to myself, and it always made me laugh.

9 hours ago, Jim said:

They absolutely work. If I am not mistaken, Sariel already used those tires. Only the PP and Claas wheels are too big. I will also post a small setup on how to convert the treads into wheels.

Thanks very much Jim, really appreciate that. I assumed they would just mate with the hubs, but I will be on the lookout for your instruction on how to.  Way I figured it since it is an off-road vehicle that it really needed wide, more aggressive tires than street tires.  

21 hours ago, Huaojozu said:

Thanks for the wheels pic, Jim. I am stoked to see other wheel setups. I realized a few days ago, looking at the set pics, that I like everything from the middle up. It's just the treads that are not doing it for me. With wheels it looks significantly more appealing. 

I am also not a fan of Purple vs Black. Not enough contrast, in my opinion. Very interested in seeing it in orange (and I hope the wheel arches come in black or white soon). I may end up buying it after all when it goes on the same 30% Amazon sale that the 2016 sets just did. 

I still really dislike 42070 though. I didn't like it back when we only had the design and I don't like it now that we have seen the functions. No flatbad especially kills it for me. Seeing Jim's review when he mentions how there are only a few pieces left and yet the model looks extremely unfinished is what put the nail in the coffin for me.

Is the bed completely open, similar to 9397B Plow Truck?  Another open bed would be 8110 Unimog B model plow. Plow is cool I must say, but it would be so much better with an enclosed for a salt shaker like we see in northern states in the US.  

I'd love to have bought a second 42069 as the TRU I went to had 2 in stock, the B model is awesome, especially the crane that really hides when it is retracted. But, funds aren't sufficient for another. :sceptic:

9 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

About 50% of the content are all the different pins. Actual beams, panels and rods are down to the minimum.

As has been the case for quite a few years. Doesn't really matter though, its the finished model that counts, just thought it was worth mentioning.

On 7/18/2017 at 5:36 AM, vectormatic said:

Should be do-able through bricklink, it is after all just a tribute build, limited by the parts in those three sets, so improving the design shouldnt be hard at all

I have all kits required, and have a 2nd of both to build the intended box model.  I probably will do it, and instead of placing the extra pcs for each kit in my huge spare parts collection, I'd bag them in case I wanted to pull it apart and sort the pcs back into the original sets.  

What is really strange is where i bought my 42068 and 69 at TRU (they also had 42070 also), they didn't have 42062, 42064, 42065 and 42066.  Even though I was able to buy 42062 and 42066 on Amazon.com from importers from the UK some time ago, I felt I got a good deal since 42066 especially has been around $130-135 USD for a long time, and I see 42066 will MSRP for $159.99 here in the US. Kind of glad I did that.  42062's MSRP is close to that, so feel I didn't screwed at all possibly paying more for an import set. 42064 is less than MSRP on Amazon as compared to what it will be released for. 

Edited by DarkShadow73

Hey @Jim, are you ever going to post the reviews of 42068 and 42069? Or, have you hit a snag of some kind, or else have life intrude?

42069 tomorrow evening and the 42068 after that. And after that I might finish 42053 :wink: 

I also need to process the fan days interviews and stuff :tongue:

So a slight delay in the reviews then Jim? I'm sure we'll all survive as your reviews are very in depth and worth the wait

I'll be patient waiting for your reviews as they are perfectly done. And I do hope you review 42053, despite having bought the set I would love to hear what you have to say about it :sweet:

I am almost done with the write-up of the 42069, but I still need to shoot some videos and a couple of photos. I will publish it tomorrow evening.

7 hours ago, Seasider said:

So a slight delay in the reviews then Jim? I'm sure we'll all survive as your reviews are very in depth and worth the wait

No delay. I am taking my time :wink: