3 hours ago, Jim said:

That is a very reasonable price for this model.

Unfortunately RRP isn´t so it is still going to be more than it´s really worth. Sorry to go back to the price issue but if 42070 had cost 200 euros RRP, I think that the reviews would have been more lenient. For up to 270 Euros, people have a right to expect a finished, functional model  and not a shell.

No new parts, no new PF just different colours meanse there is little to justify that price. I´m in at 130 euros but not a cent more, Lego have just been too greedy this time.

14 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Unfortunately RRP isn´t so it is still going to be more than it´s really worth. Sorry to go back to the price issue but if 42070 had cost 200 euros RRP, I think that the reviews would have been more lenient. For up to 270 Euros, people have a right to expect a finished, functional model  and not a shell.

That's basically what I said in my review :wink: 

If you can get the BWE cheaply, then I'm in!!! The only problem with that (to me) is the incorrectly placed clutch gear in the main gearbox. It has so many less problems than 42070. And it also looks awesome! 

The BWE has dropped a lot recently, less then £130 UK price. Makes it a very attractive set to pick up now if anyone hasn't already got it.

Set 42070 will drop as well, but even when it does, the colour scheme and model just doesn't grab me at all.

Will pick this one up

https://shop.lego.com/en-GB/Airport-Rescue-Vehicle-42068

As it has scope to add PF, which is always cool to add. My daughter prefers to play with the ones that have PF . Technic sets are more fun when you add PF

Edited by iv-tecman

Anyone following Sariel on FB might have got a sneak peek of 42068's steering system. Looks like linkages are the common denominator to a lot of sets this year.

19 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Anyone following Sariel on FB might have got a sneak peek of 42068's steering system. Looks like linkages are the common denominator to a lot of sets this year.

It's really impressive IMO.

20 minutes ago, suffocation said:

That is quite a lot of moving plastic to get those four wheels turning, i was expecting just two steering racks

54 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Maybe a long longitudinal axle connecting the two racks would be subject to torsion?

I doubt that would be a big issue, there have been more technic sets with looooong steering axles, 8880 had four wheel steering with just normal racks

8421 and 42009 had very long steering axles, too, and they were probably quite a bit heavier than 42068. It's good to see less common building techniques getting pushed.

Edited by suffocation

Unusual and quite interesting steering system in 42068. I too expected something much more simple.

Steering in 42068 is quite good, plenty of bits to build for what is one of the smaller technic sets. Must admit, expected something a little simpler myself. 

I really like the usage of linkages to achieve certain functions in Lego models, but I can't understand why it's used in 42068. Seems like more parts are used than necessary. My first thought that using gear racks and a long axle might cause backlash because of axle torsion, but there's quite much, if not more, backlash when using the frictionless pins like in 42068. Using gear racks and long axles has also worked flawlessly before in 42009 for example. Strange solution for this set. 

18 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I really like the usage of linkages to achieve certain functions in Lego models, but I can't understand why it's used in 42068. Seems like more parts are used than necessary. My first thought that using gear racks and a long axle might cause backlash because of axle torsion, but there's quite much, if not more, backlash when using the frictionless pins like in 42068. Using gear racks and long axles has also worked flawlessly before in 42009 for example. Strange solution for this set. 

I think it's because of the differential (an axle couldn't go over it) and the gearbox which is right over the center of the model. 

4 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I'd say over-engineered though. Look like the style of Michael T. Jeppesen.

First off, how dare you slag off the Mic? :laugh: Second, I think Alfred Pedersen has designed the ARV. It has the colour vomit style and odd mechanisms he favours.

Edited by Maaboo35

39 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

@Maaboo35 What do you mean by "slag off the mic"?

Ah. Michael's nickname is 'Mic'. And 'slag off' means to insult. Anyway, whaddaya mean 'overbuilt'? Mic's sets always look lovely!

Edited by Maaboo35

10 hours ago, vectormatic said:

That is quite a lot of moving plastic to get those four wheels turning, i was expecting just two steering racks

I was to and I think Sariel was too. I think the use of racks would of had less backlash and probably would have been cheaper.

I built the model yesterday.

Quite suprising to have that many parts moving, but it works quite well. No backlash.

Here's a general question regarding the 2017 H2 big sets, why do we think Lego has ditched the numbered bags ?

The last big Technic model I built was the Claas and having also built all but the Routemaster Creator Vehicles the past weeks I see the advantage of numbered bags, especially when build space is limited and/or the "boss" asks you not to leave your Lego all over the lounge carpet each night !

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Here's a general question regarding the 2017 H2 big sets, why do we think Lego has ditched the numbered bags ?

The last big Technic model I built was the Claas and having also built all but the Routemaster Creator Vehicles the past weeks I see the advantage of numbered bags, especially when build space is limited and/or the "boss" asks you not to leave your Lego all over the lounge carpet each night !

I don't know. It's a pain in the big behind. Especially since these models come in distinct stages.

53 minutes ago, Seasider said:

It is a pain, but I tend to use tupperware boxes (food containers) to organise all the parts and I put the lids on the boxes when I'm packing up , means you don't get moaned at if your working in the lunge to build your sets...  

I really want inner trays back. They can be cardboard or whatever. The old boxes from the 80s and 90s were so much better. And when/if you collect them, parts are easier to organise.

Lego Technic set 8860 was one of my first and had a great box, trays, and overall better presentation then today's Lego Technic boxes.