3 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

I saw it on Sariel's video and I can't imagine it has any other use than prevent people from installing it the wrong way. The different coloring on the steering is maybe meant to "give a hint" for when the rear axles are installed, so that people install it with the same color on the same side as the front axle.

I think that is exactly the reason. considering so many diffs and possibility of having them placed wrong way would be easy. Though I think these sets considering their prices and so should be enthusiast sets (less colors, shorter more steps per page instructions). I don't know about the rest of the world, but barely any 11 - 16 year can expect to get sets like 42070 or even the Porsche.

Also while I was playing (AKA scaring the cat) for a bit with 42070, I was smiling like a 8 year old. Steering is no good, I'd replace it with servo (don't have one sadly) and the M motor with another L or XL (don't have one of those either), but it is fun and the truck looks amazing. A lot of possibilities for modding for sure same as Porsche.

I'll wait to see what Jim's view of the three sets and the remaining two of Sariels reviews, but I honestly don't know if I'll be buying a technic set this year. I often only buy one or two sets a year, but I make sure that they're quality sets. I don't know I'll have to see but at the moment, I'll only be buying the Saturn V (which is still annoyingly out of stock). 42070 looks as if it isn't a bad set, but not the set it could have been. 

4 hours ago, Ascius said:

I think that is exactly the reason. considering so many diffs and possibility of having them placed wrong way would be easy.

It is to prevent people from doing this :laugh:

35754833252_fc573848f6_c.jpg

I had a friend over and he wanted to build the axles. I noticed he put the red liftarms on opposite sides, so I switched them. In hindsight I just needed to turn the subassembly around :tongue:
After that we called it a night LoL.

3 minutes ago, Jim said:

It is to prevent people from doing this :laugh:

I had a friend over and he wanted to build the axles. I noticed he put the red liftarms on opposite sides, so I switched them. In hindsight I just needed to turn the subassembly around :tongue:
After that we called it a night LoL.

Exactly that xD

I made a few mistakes myself - I didn't put in a that red thing at the step 188 and built it only saw the mistake when I had to insert something in it. thankfully it wasn't bad to remove it. Stopped the build at 02:30, couldn't take it anymore.

I was actually concerned about diffs so I managed to keep them in order myself

Edited by Ascius

22 hours ago, Jim said:

So far I like it better than expected.

Well that is positive thinking, but IMHO internal part is to colorful. I'll just wait for your review to see in detail like Xerion -when I saw no fake engine, no all wheel drive I was very disappointed. but after your review I've decided to buy it, so it is (partly) in your hands, :wink:

At least LEGO decide to recolor some parts...

27 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

Well that is positive thinking, but IMHO internal part is to colorful. I'll just wait for your review to see in detail like Xerion -when I saw no fake engine, no all wheel drive I was very disappointed. but after your review I've decided to buy it, so it is (partly) in your hands, :wink:

At least LEGO decide to recolor some parts...

You know me...I see positive things in every set :laugh:

Just now, Jim said:

You know me...I see positive things in every set :laugh:

...or (positive) parts in every set :laugh:
...or as some say optimists see the donut and pessimists see the hole :laugh:

Edited by I_Igor

Just now, Globemaster8 said:

Hope to be reading the review soon Jim! Have you received 42068 and 42069 yet? 

I have nearly finished the build of the 42070. Maybe I can finish the write-up tomorrow.

Yes, I have received the other sets. I already posted the inventory :wink:

21 minutes ago, I_Igor said:

...or as some say optimists see the donut and pessimists see the hole :laugh:

I see a lot of donuts :laugh:

And if you really try hard, the lights are actually moveable :tongue:

5 hours ago, Jim said:

And if you really try hard, the lights are actually moveable :tongue:

And it can fly.... :laugh:

Eagerly awaiting the 42069 review, and hoping it is better than 42070.

3 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

"movable" here is synonymous with "knockable" is it not :tongue:

Hehe, it seems that way.

Without going into much detail, I can already tell that I have a problem with the 42070. I like it...a lot.

35953053305_51983dffdb_c.jpg

What taboo have you just uttered?!! You're supposed to join the bandwagon and decry the lack of [insert desired function here] ! /sarcasm

Edited by nguyengiangoc

1 minute ago, nguyengiangoc said:

What taboo have you just uttered?!! You're supposed to join the bandwagon and decry the lack of [insert desired function here] ! /sarcasm

I feel like an outcast. I sure hope I won't be banned from the Technic community :look: 

24 minutes ago, Jim said:

Without going into much detail, I can already tell that I have a problem with the 42070. I like it...a lot.

How could you!

4 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

How could you!

I feel dirty and abused :cry_sad:

Just now, Zero (Zblj) said:

Now you know how the poor teddy feels.

Hehehe well put. :laugh:

Just now, Jim said:

Hehehe well put. :laugh:

Well put like....that half pin?

I think we should stop before we make everyone cringe

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Not a good sign for me. You liked the 42039 a lot too, contrary to popular belief, and I ended up getting that set. But that had a price nowhere near this one... :D

But your picture looks great. Lookimg forward to the rest.

Just now, Erik Leppen said:

Not a good sign for me. You liked the 42039 a lot too, contrary to popular belief, and I ended up getting that set. But that had a price nowhere near this one... :D

Still one of my favorite sets (42039). I definitely agree with the difference in price though.

@Zero (Zblj) That last comment cracked me up. Yes it's the right place to stop, but I couldn't let such a zinger go unacknowledged!

I'll be honest too, I am still intrigued by 42070. The terrible performance outdoors doesn't bother me; Technic sets have never been designed for use outdoors, even when they have been very misleadingly advertised as such (9398 anyone?). I even like the looks, apart from the lack of a flatbed. But even I would say it looks unrefined and I wouldn't be surprised to find out there was a bigger compromise in this set than other recent flagships, as per the comments made by @nerdsforprez regarding the price/weight ratio.

Edited by Jay Psi