Thank you very much for this review, Pawel. It sounds your hamster and you dont like the set.

I really, really like the looks and the crane's load capacity is amazing. But driving it outdoors has been a truly painful experience.

14 minutes ago, Sariel said:

same inability to perform any other functions while driving

I laughed so hard for this. Too much salt.

And btw: Error 404. Movable lights not found. :wacko::wacko::wacko::grin::grin::grin:

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Thanks very much for the review.

I kinda feel bad that it scored such a low mark but it isn't the end of the world I guess and people will still buy it myself included.

The gear trains are cool too, what motor drives what?

Edited by SNIPE

@Sariel Thanks for the great review. The extensive outdore testing was a nice surprise. I suggest putting your video review as well in your thread with 2017 set reviews or in a separate post, like this people can find them more easily. Otherwise it will soon be buried on page 127 of ...

Where your reviews have convinced me in the past to give a set the benefit of the doubt, this time it confirms my initial impressions: underwhelming, unfinished, overpriced. This is a flagship set I will not be getting.

@Sariel While I agree with most of the points of your review, I think it was well worth getting for me, not done building yet, only half way, but for me it was the same with Porsche last year.

14 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

How are the tools in the toolkit (#6103444) in the 42068 packaged? Are the tools in a small bags or are they scattered around like other pieces?

They normally come on a sprue wheel, similar to this (it's an older mould): http://www.brickowl.com/catalog/lego-black-6-tools-on-sprue-tool-wheel-6246.

@Sariel It's a shame the 42070 doesn't live up to many's expectations. I think the IR range would be better if the remote was held above the receiver though, pointing down on it. I was also quite surprised you didn't comment on the use of 24116 curved panel as the headlights, it looks really odd in that forward position to me.

@Sariel thank you for the review! It was interesting to see how it scored, but part of me is not surprised! (Just by a feeling I got when I first saw pictures of it). 

15 minutes ago, ColletArrow said:

I was also quite surprised you didn't comment on the use of 24116 curved panel as the headlights, it looks really odd in that forward position to me.

I think it looks pretty nice in real life. It kinda grew on me.

6 hours ago, Jonfensu said:

...especially the gearbox and the way how the designer(s) implemented the functions with 2 motors...

35754832382_c2c8630bc6_c.jpg

Sneak peak :wink:

Thank you for the review, Sariel! As always a pleasure to watch!
I really like idea of 6x6 truck with outriggers and other bells and whistles but the final product is disappointing. Clutch gear in driveline is disrespectful. I don't like how they've done steering system using the 3L pin with center pin-hole to connect portal hubs to axle. It resulted in noticeable camber angle and the front axle even doesn't have suspension to somehow excuse that!
Still, in my opinion, that would be a great set if not a price. I think it will be such a pleasure to rebuild the driveline, add a second XL-motor and proper suspension and see how it becomes a normal trial truck.

Edited by Limga

5 minutes ago, Limga said:

Thank you for the review, Sariel! As always a pleasure to watch!
I really like idea of 6x6 truck with outriggers and other bells and whistles but the final product is disappointing. Clutch gear in driveline is disrespectful. I don't like how they've done steering system using the 3L pin with center pin-hole to connect portal hubs to axle. It resulted in noticeable camber angle and the front axle even doesn't have suspension to somehow excuse that!
Still, in my opinion, that would be a great set if not a price. I think it will be such a pleasure to rebuild the driveline, add a second XL-motor and proper suspension and see how it becomes a normal trial truck.

That would be a very interesting mod! Maybe @Sariel could do it?

Great review as always.  I know these reviews are a ton of work but the efforts are well worth it. 

Again, similar to my comment above, I think weight of the box (and set) are underappreciated.   But very important and they have more significant relationships with price than do piece count.

The price (want to avoid any discussion here of getting "deals" on the 'bay, Amazon, etc - what I am concerned about is Lego's pricing) will bug people for a long time.   Deter many, including me - and the following in no way actually justifies the price, IMO, but it is something I think to note. Sariel listed the weight of the box.  4033 grams.  The other two Technic sets that sit to the right and left of 1862 (piece count of 42070) are 42030 (Volvo Loader) and 8258 (crane truck).  Their respective box weights are 3590 and 3570.  So, 42070 weights roughly 450 grams more than either.  42030 has tons of PF whereas 8258 had slightly less than 42070.  But still, 42070 is heavier, by nearly 500 grams, than either of those sets (booklets notwithstanding, please try to no get too deterred by the booklets and box.  Such are heavily correlated with each other.  Larger sets, larger boxes and booklets.  So although they add substantially to the weight of the overall set package, so do they, to a similar degree, to comparative sets).   This additional weight has to count for something, and I assume it has something to do with the price.  Of note, 42070 is heavier (box and all) than the next FIVE sets in succession (piece count), beginning with, like I said, 8258, and then 8285, 8421, our beloved Claas (by about 1200 grams), and yes, even the Unimog (by about 400 grams).  Given the Claas has 4 of the massive tires, and other sets such as the Unimog four of its massive tires (same with Volvo Loader and others) I certainly don't think the difference is only because of the massive tires in the 42070.  But likely part of it.  Probably a function of the panels, tires, and the overall fact it is a large model.  

If there still are some who are overly concerned about booklet and box in reference to the above reasoning,  Sariel also published the weight of the model.  2456 grams.  If there are any wonderful souls out there that have an intact Unimog or other of the mentioned sets above (with batteries) that would be willing to weigh and submit it would be interesting to compare how much actual ABS the 42070 has in relation to other large sets with similar piece counts.......

The 42070's booklets weighs about 760 grams. One could argue that this is due to oversimplification and adding 2-3 pieces per step.

1 hour ago, Jim said:

Sneak peak :wink:

I think this is quite good, and even like the color vomit as long as it is not for bodywork or chassis that shows through the bodywork gaps.

Look at how few parts it uses. That's why its good :) remote shifting would be cool too, ill probably make a second modded version of this set after buying it.

Edited by Milan
Let's not quote pics and videos from the same page.

Just now, Sariel said:

The 42070's booklets weighs about 760 grams. One could argue that this is due to oversimplification and adding 2-3 pieces per step.

Yes with this I agree a lot, I'm at step 499 of it and it's 2-3 pieces at the most as someone who doesn't fit into the recommended age I'd want more complexity.

That being said, the build is insanely enjoyable, not as enjoyable as a Porsche, but out of recent models certainly 2nd best.

I think this is quite good, and even like the color vomit as long as it is not for bodywork or chassis that shows through the bodywork gaps.

Look at how few parts it uses. That's why its good :) remote shifting would be cool too, ill probably make a second modded version of this set after buying it.

The strange part of this build is how it uses different colors for live axles red on the drivers side grey on passenger side, found it weird.

Edited by Ascius

1 minute ago, Sariel said:

I have the Unimog booklets somewhere, I will see if I can dredge them up and weigh them.  I don't have the others. 

I'll do some nerdy gear reduction ratio:

Drive: 20/28 x 8/24 = 5/21 = 0.23 

Steer: 16/20 x 8/24 x 12/20 = 4/25 = 0.16

Rotation: 20/24 x 16/20 x 1/24 x 20/60 = 1/108 = 0.009

Outriggers: 1/1 = 1

LA: 16/20 x 16/20 x 12/20 x 12/20 = 144/625 = 0.2304

Winch: 16/20 x 16/20 x 8/24 x 12/24 = 8/75 = 0.106

Edited by nguyengiangoc

1 hour ago, Ascius said:

That being said, the build is insanely enjoyable, not as enjoyable as a Porsche, but out of recent models certainly 2nd best.

The strange part of this build is how it uses different colors for live axles red on the drivers side grey on passenger side, found it weird.

i concur on both accounts. The build is enjoyable, and it is rather odd that different color liftarms are used on different sides of the vehicle. I have yet to find out whether it's for the B-model or simply to prevent attaching it the wrong way.

Not only for the live axles by the way. The front section has different colors too.

Yeah so instead of referring to the "left" side and "right" side of the model and causing confusion they can just call it "red" side and "grey" side. Similar to the "starboard" and "port" side on a ship I guess.

Just finished building it and had a few moments to enjoy it. I must say it does have faults (going back to most of what Sariel has said in his review), but it looks amazing, build was very fun and it's also my first RC LEGO set, all in all I'm pleased with it, in terms of parts I got and of the model itself.

I don't know if I'll go back and rebuild it to B-model...

I saw it on Sariel's video and I can't imagine it has any other use than prevent people from installing it the wrong way. The different coloring on the steering is maybe meant to "give a hint" for when the rear axles are installed, so that people install it with the same color on the same side as the front axle.