7 minutes ago, Globemaster8 said:

To me 42070 looks like it has a pretty neat steering system, just by first look. 

The set is growing on me! :thumbup:

I don't think the 42070 effectively has much backlash for the steering since there is probably a 2L axle with pin on the steering rack 12 tooth gears.and one can easily be added.

The friction of the pin means it is harder for backlash to happen.

Edited by SNIPE

50 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:
Also interesting: instructions for 42069 and 42070 have nearly the same number of pages. Their prices are almost a factor 2 apart. What's going on?

The 42070 has the same MSRP as the BWE and the BWE has twice the number of parts. Makes you wonder.

I was a stalker of this forum ever since I bought the Porche last year, but I guess it's time to register.

Went to an official local LEGO store after someone here said they have in Lithuania. They received these new models a few weeks ago according to the girl there 3 of 42070, 2 were sold, I got the last one today. 279 euro... that's a lot for my country.

Anyway, so far only got to building the base of just added last rear axle. I must say I'm enjoying the build and for me who got back to LEGO just 2 years ago it's amazing parts bucket too xD (Didn't have XL motor, IR or the old (new red) diffs). 

Really like where this set is going so far, will judge once I've finished it, but I like it so far.

Also strangely 42069 wasn't in the store and neither in LEGO catalogs there for 2h of 2017... dunno what that means.

20170715_001046.jpg

Edited by Ascius

1 hour ago, I_Igor said:

I have a feeling that Jim will be more disappointed with 42070 review that with Unimog U 400 review...

So far I like it better than expected.

2 minutes ago, Ascius said:

I was a stalker of this forum ever since I bought the Porche last year, but I guess it's time to register.

Welcome to EB! And you are lucky to have the 42070 already :thumbup:

5 minutes ago, Jim said:

Welcome to EB! And you are lucky to have the 42070 already :thumbup:

Thanks, had a few problems with email confirmation, but finally got in!

I am, considering review units got you guys just a few days ago, was thinking someone was trying to joke here when they said they have, drove to the store just for fun after work and bam, it was there. Really impressive amount of gears in there. Only on step 194, but I can't put it down even if it's 01:00 here.

Just now, Ascius said:

I am, considering review units got you guys just a few days ago, was thinking someone was trying to joke here when they said they have, drove to the store just for fun after work and bam, it was there.

Really impressive amount of gears in there. Only on step 194, but I can't put it down even if it's 01:00 here.

That's a nice surprise indeed. Step 221 at the moment, so you are not far behind :sweet:

59 minutes ago, Ascius said:

Also strangely 42069 wasn't in the store and neither in LEGO catalogs there for 2h of 2017... dunno what that means.

Maybe its sold out. if it really was in store for so long. :) Wlcome to EB :)

Edited by SpaidX

58 minutes ago, Jim said:

The 42070 has the same MSRP as the BWE and the BWE has twice the number of parts. Makes you wonder.

In Canada, $40 more. If I get it whole sale, we're talking $100 more for the 42070.

22 minutes ago, SpaidX said:

Maybe its sold out. if it really was in store for so long. :) Wlcome to EB :)

Can you remove pictures from quotes please. Only quote pictures if they are important to the reply. Thanks.

The 42070's turning circle is 2.1 meter. I've measured it.

My review is about 10 minutes away from finally being rendered (4k be damned) and then it will take a while to upload.

3 minutes ago, Sariel said:

it will take a while to upload

Can you guesstimate how long this will take? I'm really on the fence of waiting or going to sleep :grin:

1 minute ago, Sariel said:

Go to sleep, YT is saying almost 3 hours left to upload.

Sounds like it is going to be a late night for me. Do you know when you will get around to 42069?

I'll start tomorrow but I wouldn't expect the review to be ready sooner that, let's say, Tuesday. It's got more pieces than 42070.

Is it just me or does the steering in 42070 rely on the play inherent in ABS? As far as I know, with that kind of setup the steering rack needs to move both horizontally and vertically in order to be "legal".

10 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Talking about sets, there's another clip about 42070. It shows the other side and shows where the steering gear is. It's rare to see the steering gear is placed off the center to the left.

I notice the red 3L pin with stop on 2L perpendicular block on the right behind the front wheel is not inserted properly in that video.

10 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

On the bottom right, near front wheel, pointed out above ^^^^

42069 still has a mystery: the lever between the two seats. According to the part list there's no gear shifting element, and there's only 1 red clutch gear whose usage is already figured out, so I guess that lever is a dummy. I was hoping it to be some kinda gear changing though...

5 hours ago, Jim said:

One thing to publish in your review is perhaps the weight of the box.  I have found, in my own little unofficial data-gathering, there is a stronger relationship between price and weight of box then price and piece count.  Yes I know, box weight will contain instructions, etc..... but, (as I shared about a year ago on the Porsche Pricing Thread) I have an excel file with over 100 Technic sets that once you run the numbers the relationship differences are quite noticeable.  We focus so much on piece count when really we should be focusing on actual ABS (booklet and box notwithstanding) when we consider prices of sets.  I don't think this no where near justifies the price, but the tires and gear, panels, etc.... they all count quite a bit towards ABS used.  

Thanks @Sariel for the review. Really enjoyed it. Also liked how you covered very well the playability part/experience. Just I missed some details about the building experience , especially the gearbox and the way how the designer(s) implemented the functions with 2 motors, but I am sure @Jim will do it :wink:

Definetly the most weakest "flapship" of the Technic line: I can not see a reason to get it, starting with the price :sceptic:

In my experience it's quite similar to the gearbox in 42055. Same number of motors, same weird solution with two selectors depending on each other, same inability to perform any other functions while driving.