3 minutes ago, Chase Rosipayla said:

Say, do you get the Lego kits early like Sariel to review?

Yup. I expect them any moment. Hopefully tomorrow.

I suppose I just don't see different colors as a problem, coming at Technic from the perspective of a casual fan. In fact, I was quite excited to see Dark Azur in a Technic set considering a few Technic parts had already debuted in that color in Legends of Chima and Bionicle (for the latter in particular, the potential for me as a fan to potentially MOC vehicles that match one of the characters' color schemes is an exciting prospect). I'm less frustrated by certain parts not coming in certain colors since I tend to MOC based on what is actually available to me anyway.

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Kind of a bummer for people like me who can't take it outside to drive in the snow....... 

Going by memory here, but don't the instructions for motorized sets (like 9398) tell you not to play with it outside? Not that AFOLs are known for following instructions... 

The design of most official sets will give very poor outdoor performance. Pavement should be OK, but anything else is pretty much a no-go (mud, snow, sand, rocks). Official sets have no locking differentials and no enclosed gearboxes. Lego tires have horrible performance in snow and tracked vehicles don't have beams attached for better grip. Battery performance drops in cold temperatures, and melting snow can mess with the PF components. 

You're better off building your own vehicle if you plan to use it in any of these conditions. 

14 minutes ago, BusterHaus said:

Going by memory here, but don't the instructions for motorized sets (like 9398) tell you not to play with it outside? Not that AFOLs are known for following instructions...

800x609.jpg

13 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

I am wondering if there is a whole demographic excluded with sets such as 42069. 

I wouldn't say it's excluding builders. Lego is a toy for kids, about imagination, so this set can help kids imagine they are in the arctic with their cool, purple truck. I would believe that that it would make them happier if they live in a place with no snow.
But that's just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Sorry:

we will get a "catamaran yacht", a Rallye car, a "big giant licensed truck", and some more small vehicles I cannot remember

If this is true, my dream of a rally car will finally come true. :cry_happy:

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:12 PM, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Also, a rally car would be cool. There has never been a Technic one before.

See? ^^

Edited by Offroadcreat1ons

4 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Sorry:

we will get a "catamaran yacht", a Rallye car, a "big giant licensed truck", and some more small vehicles I cannot remember

Now my first thought was for that licensed truck was a Ford F150 (which would be pretty cool), but it most likely will be something like the Mercedes Unimog, which we have gotten a couple times before.

10 hours ago, Sir von Lego said:

Sorry:

I'm getting excited!!:excited: Waiting (un)patiently for official pics:laugh:

I wouldn't get too hyped yet. Isn't this a bit early for next year's set names? That being said a rally car would be fantastic, IF done right (looking at you Porsche)

11 hours ago, Offroadcreat1ons said:

If this is true, my dream of a rally car will finally come true. :cry_happy:

Wanna bet its is one of the two pullback racers? :laugh:

That said, id love a new proper race car, 2017s lineup was shit for me as a car guy

47 minutes ago, z3_2drive said:

I wouldn't get too hyped yet. Isn't this a bit early for next year's set names? That being said a rally car would be fantastic, IF done right (looking at you Porsche)

It's just H1 if Sir's other posts are any indication. And the names for other themes are leaking as well, with SW minifigures being already posted.

Catamaran sounds like 42025 B-Model which would be cool. Under Rallye car I am picturing something more like an Offroad car, i.e. 42039 B-Model. Big Licensed Truck will likely by ala Unimog or 42043. In any case, I'm getting excited already. Though as we have seen this year, execution matters. 

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but the 42070 B-model has 4WD and back steering as seen in the video by Jeppe. But in this video he forgot to say anything about the front winch, which is of course a remote controlled function. What he say and show is the function to open the body, but it is clearly visible that he move only one stick of the remote to use this function. That means that both parts of the upper structure will open at the same time and the other remote function ist the winch. In short the B-model supports drive an steer and after switching, the function to open the body an use the winch. This makes this B-model not so bad because it offers a lot of playability. In the winch/body mode, the driving is unlocked, so it is possible to use the winch to climb up the model 

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

17 hours ago, BusterHaus said:

The design of most official sets will give very poor outdoor performance. Pavement should be OK, but anything else is pretty much a no-go (mud, snow, sand, rocks). Official sets have no locking differentials and no enclosed gearboxes. Lego tires have horrible performance in snow and tracked vehicles don't have beams attached for better grip. Battery performance drops in cold temperatures, and melting snow can mess with the PF components. 

You're better off building your own vehicle if you plan to use it in any of these conditions. 

17 hours ago, technic_addict said:

800x609.jpg

Good point.  But c'mon..... not sure that at least for AFOLs keeping in line with instructions is really our MO  :wink:  

Very first modification from AFOLs, guaranteed, will be RC'ing 42069 for some outdoor driving.  Contrary to Lego's position, Technic sets are easily transformed into something that can function pretty well outside.  That would be my interest in the set..... but won't be able to b/c of no snow.  

I believe the two main reasons for TLG to not recommend playing outside is that sand and other stuff can get in the gears and jam them (and we all know how lovely an experience it is to have to take a model fully apart just to reach that tiny gear inside), and the appalling performance of IR control under sunlight... not that it has a great performance indoors anyway.

3 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

That would be my interest in the set..... but won't be able to b/c of no snow.  

so go to the mountains. so people go with skis, you will go with box of Lego. if you need snow so badly, go to the snow, don't wait for it. :devil:

4 hours ago, vectormatic said:

Wanna bet its is one of the two pullback racers? :laugh:

I almost want to, if lego let's us down like the Porsche, I won't be buying that year.

4 hours ago, vectormatic said:

That said, id love a new proper race car, 2017s lineup was shit for me as a car guy

C'mon lego, there are so many car guys (us included) that want lego cars, I guess I will settle for mocs.

@J_C - very good point.  I will take my little lego set and travel the near 1500 miles it takes to get to mountains with snow from where I live.  *huh*:wacko:. World geography 101.....not everywhere has mountains.......lol...

But seriously, time to put a fork in my comments about the snow I guess.  For the record,  I don't "need" snow.   It was just an observation, that's all.   Back to the set....I may still get out for the parts and all.  I do think it is the strongeset set for 2017.  And I can't fathom going a whole year with not getting a single technic set!

Edited by nerdsforprez

45 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

I almost want to, if lego let's us down like the Porsche, I won't be buying that year.

C'mon lego, there are so many car guys (us included) that want lego cars, I guess I will settle for mocs.

Yup, ive resorted to ebaying some sets from my technic dark ages to fill the void, ive got 8041 waiting for me back home (for the B-model that is), which will undergo extensive modding (just like my other large technic sets)

Only new set ive bought this year is the gyro-copter, which is a fun little thing to mess around with, but its no $99+ car

59 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

I will take my little lego set and travel the near 1500 miles it takes to get to mountains with snow from where I live.

people do crazier things :sweet:

Funny how 42070 gets the big box yet has many fewer pieces than 42069 (tires notwithstanding). TLG really is trying to pass this off has the "flagship" set this year.  Sariel usually tells a little about box space relative to contents.......excited to see possible disparities between these two sets....