2 hours ago, Error404 said:

Compared to the other red parts visible that are also on the underside and in the shadow, the central diff certainly looks red to me.

Also, although it looks unusual and a bit strange, I'm starting to find the 42070 B-model not too bad.

I think it's okay. Looks fun to build and play with if the video's anything to go by.

31 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Does 42070 use the old diff's locking ability does anyone know?

The most reasonable explanation would be that red colored differential uses (partly) mold for new red clutch gear, so it should have "lock" possibilities with new 3l driving ring combination

39 minutes ago, TeamThrifty said:

Does 42070 use the old diff's locking ability does anyone know?

Yes, the 4L differencial is indeed compatible with the old or new driving rings however I don't think that the 42070 has a locking centre differential. The 4L differential part is just used purley as a center differential.

Edited by SNIPE

IMO they recolored it to avoid confusing it with the other ones, as it happened in the Unimog.

Just now, SNIPE said:

Yes, the 4L differencial is indeed compatible with the old or new driving rings however I don't think that the 42070 has a locking centre differential. The 4L differential part is just used purley as a center differential.

Hello 1 wheel-drive and 0 off road performance. I guess it will have to be modded.

Just now, SNIPE said:

42070 has no locking differential it is used as ordinary central differential, but as was mentioned allready it has 'locking' potential

I'm going to get all 3 2H sets. I think they all seem to be great. I like the variety we have seen the last years in the Technic line.

BTW, anybody knows if the 42070 have return to center steering, and if so - how it's achieved?

10 minutes ago, kolbjha said:

BTW, anybody knows if the 42070 have return to center steering, and if so - how it's achieved?

Given that it doesn't contain any servo and appears to be meant more as a "truck trial" kind of RC instead of "racing", I'd bet it has a slow, precise, non-return-to-centre steering.

23 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Given that it doesn't contain any servo and appears to be meant more as a "truck trial" kind of RC instead of "racing", I'd bet it has a slow, precise, non-return-to-centre steering.

Sounds likely to me. I guess it would require a hell of a hockey spring to achieve :laugh:

The 42070 is technically AWD for the front and middle axles and 4WD inbetween the middle and rear axles because the centre differential is inbetween the front and middle axles. It is not 1 wheel drive (well, if one of the diffs inner gears has any load at all (this is very frequent), then the driveshaft wont spin that corrosponding wheel). So you're kinda right.

4 hours ago, SNIPE said:

The 42070 is technically AWD for the front and middle axles and 4WD inbetween the middle and rear axles because the centre differential is inbetween the front and middle axles. It is not 1 wheel drive (well, if one of the diffs inner gears has any load at all (this is very frequent), then the driveshaft wont spin that corrosponding wheel). So you're kinda right.

It´s 1 wheel drive the moment a front wheel goes off the ground or loses traction and 100% torque gets transferred to that wheel. Seeing as there is no front suspension, that´s quite likely. MOCers will either lock it or remove the centre diff entirely, I guess.

quick side question as ive never seen locking difs in technic, would this be achieved by using an old style 4L dif, and using a driving ring on either output axle?

Either way, having big off-road styled trucks like 42070 have an all or partially open dif setup sucks, playability wise it might be better to stop the driveline locking up in child's play, but a €270 set is going to be an enthusiast set, and authenticity matters

14 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

authenticity matters

I might be wrong here, but haven't nearly all Trucks centre diffs for lower wear of the tires and narrower turning radius; and they get locked only in harsh offroad conditions?

I'd say authenticity would be lost without a centre diff, but gained with a diff locking mechanism.

Unfortunately i don't think LEGO will ever implement a lockable diff because of customers complaining of a big turning radius, not realising they've locked the diff :sceptic:

1 hour ago, vectormatic said:

quick side question as ive never seen locking difs in technic, would this be achieved by using an old style 4L dif, and using a driving ring on either output axle?

Either way, having big off-road styled trucks like 42070 have an all or partially open dif setup sucks, playability wise it might be better to stop the driveline locking up in child's play, but a €270 set is going to be an enthusiast set, and authenticity matters

You can use the second-gen diff with a driving ring like you said, or a third-gen diff like this (11th post).

4 hours ago, schraubedrin said:

I might be wrong here, but haven't nearly all Trucks centre diffs for lower wear of the tires and narrower turning radius; and they get locked only in harsh offroad conditions?

I'd say authenticity would be lost without a centre diff, but gained with a diff locking mechanism.

Unfortunately i don't think LEGO will ever implement a lockable diff because of customers complaining of a big turning radius, not realising they've locked the diff :sceptic:

Yeah, a locking diff is better then no diff, but i think on a €270 set, they shouldnt worry about customers not getting it, anyone putting that kind of money into a technic set will play around with the gears and work out what is going on

2 hours ago, suffocation said:

You can use the second-gen diff with a driving ring like you said, or a third-gen diff like this (11th post).

Edited by vectormatic

3 hours ago, vectormatic said:

anyone putting that kind of money into a technic set will play around with the gears and work out what is going on

I'm not convinced of this after i heard how much money some parrents spend on the Christmas/birthday gifts for their kids. The parents buy it because their kids want it and the kids want it because it's cool to build big sets with older recommended age than theirs.

And i guess LEGO has similar thoughts when i look at the instructions of the 42056 Porsche :sceptic:

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

they didn´t use one on 42069

I haven't looked at the pictures that closely. Is the drivetrain visible enough that we can say this for sure?

All 4WD Vehicles i can remember either had a centre differential (8466), separated-axle propulsion (9398) or articulated steering in the middle between both axles (42030).

I'd be slightly disappointed if they'd designed such a "faulty" drivetrain.

My hope was lost. Technic will be merged with Duplo soon due to all these recolors to "not confuse".  I'll pass on all sets , waste of money with all the useless pieces.

The extreme adventure set went from being my least favorite in prerelease images to being my favorite of the new sets in actuality, purple is my favorite color and all the yellow that I was seeing was very off putting, the set itself though I like enough and seems a welcome change for a main model with some interesting functions and realism, I think it'd look wonderful if outfitted with large tires like the claas (if not too big) and leaving off the stickers, I think the colors are good but may decide to change the yellow to light gray or something, but it makes sence on that type of vehicle, the tow truck not only is something we have seen numerous times in the past (albeit with this one having nice functions) is just pretty goofy looking to me, and seems too toyish, distractedly so, it seems nice, but I would rather (and do) own the arocs over that set, with its better looks in my opinion, and the price point.

I should point out as well, that the extreme explorer seems a good set to modify and a good chassis or base to build around, it looks appropriate to me for what it is meant to do, and I like the the treads raise off the ground in the front to assist climbing, too bad the same isn't true for reverse, it does include 5 new panels in purple, and with nice curves and shaping, I can just picture how it'd look without the rear "camper shell" area, cutting it off just below the rear stickered panel, giving it more of an everyday truck appearance. I appreciate it

Edited by Banana92

6 hours ago, LXF said:

My hope was lost. Technic will be merged with Duplo soon due to all these recolors to "not confuse".  I'll pass on all sets , waste of money with all the useless pieces.

"Oh no, color, now my highly engineered building toy is a baby toy for babies."

I mean, I get that "color vomit" can be an issue for some people, but if a few differently colored gears are all that separate Technic and Duplo to you then maybe Lego isn't the problem.

15 hours ago, Banana92 said:

The extreme adventure set went from being my least favorite in prerelease images to being my favorite of the new sets...

Same here!
(from what I have seen so far)

15 hours ago, Banana92 said:

I should point out as well, that the extreme explorer seems a good set to modify and a good chassis or base to build around

Again, true. I will definitely try to put on some tires. And there will probably be some RC versions.

So, according to the catalogue the models will come out in August. Do we have any information whether reviewers will get them earlier?

1 hour ago, schraubedrin said:

So, according to the catalogue the models will come out in August. Do we have any information whether reviewers will get them earlier?

Yes we have :wub:

I just received confirmation that the sets have been sent out for review :thumbup: