Yeah, we kept thinking TLG wouldn't make a set with yet another shade of blue.

36 minutes ago, allanp said:

Personally I don't like ANY shade of light blue as it looks like a babies toy! Regular and dark blue is all you need.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQgTtlk8kUdElFqFHQGk-M

In Portugal, that kind of light blue is often called "azul cueca", "underpants blue".

Say what you will, medium blue happens to be a perfect match for cars in the legendary Gulf livery :)

18623663_10156189552238696_6391395574859

Edited by Sariel

Just now, Sariel said:

Say what you will, medium blue happens to be a perfect match for cars in the legendary Gulf livery :)

Awesome idea! maybe a version of @Tamas Juhasz 's 962 in gulf livery.

11 minutes ago, Aventador2004 said:

Awesome idea! maybe a version of @Tamas Juhasz 's 962 in gulf livery.

Or (Ford) GT40 in gulf livery

39 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

Yeah, we kept thinking TLG wouldn't make a set with yet another shade of blue.

In Portugal, that kind of light blue is often called "azul cueca", "underpants blue".

Ahahah @AVCampos I laughed so hard when I saw your comment! 

But I totally agree, so many shades of blue are incredibly annoying!

Edited by jotta93
typo

38 minutes ago, Sariel said:

It suits hamsters pretty well! :sweet:

Another shade of blue ?!?!:sick: There aren't many parts in one color and they already jump to another one .... medium blue is the best...

Seriously, this hooha is one of the things that got LEGO into trouble in the first place. Too many parts in too many colours. They'll overstretch the part library again at this rate.

Dark azure is a brilliant color choice and is maybe exclusive to 42070. Think to bright green of 42039 which was exclusive to this set and is still exclusive. More colors offers designers and moc'ers more possibilities to combine colors in sets. For example all shades of blue (dark, medium and all azure) are looking perfekt together with yellow or orange. People are sad to see just red or yellow. But talking about colors, I think the flamed yellow (step inbetween common yellow and orange) should definitely find his way to Technic theme. All construction vehicles will look much better in flamed yellow instead of common yellow. It is curios, but the 2013 small panel is not available in common yellow, but in flamed yellow in a new City jungle set. This let us guess that flamed yellow will come to Technic and later maybe some new green, like real dark green (called earth green) or the beautiful sandgreen color. And yes, 2017 was bluish, so 2018 is not

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

@Timorzelorzworz, I agree that the color palette keeps growing and it's a noticeable fact was expected since TLG changed their process to "White ABS + dye" instead of "Color ABS" provided by suppliers. I don't mind such number of colors and shapes, but only regret that more or less full set of Technic parts still being presented only in limited colors, whereas other unique or semi-unique (like Dark Blue) colors still doesn't have some common parts. Anyway, I was happy to see a lot of Dark Blue parts that comes with 42064 (Ocean Explorer) and Medium Azure continuation in 42059 (Stunt Truck) that added some extra shapes :sweet:

Who knows, maybe we will see 50 shades of green (or even red) soon...

Edited by Void_S

11 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Dark azure is a brilliant color choice and is maybe exclusive to 42070. Think to bright green of 42039 which was exclusive to this set and is still exclusive. More colors offers designers and moc'ers more possibilities to combine colors in sets.

I disagree, because for serious MOCing you need much wider parts pallet. Take a look at medium blue - it is missing some crucial liftarms like 4x2 and 9L. It would be cool to see some suplementary sets released with new colors - a pack of complete range of liftams in large quantity, the same with panels. Otherwise the mocing potential is very limited. I think the 42070 would look good in regular blue as well and it would nicely expand blue panel range as it is very limited.

7 minutes ago, Ivan_M said:

I disagree, because for serious MOCing you need much wider parts pallet. Take a look at medium blue - it is missing some crucial liftarms like 4x2 and 9L. It would be cool to see some suplementary sets released with new colors - a pack of complete range of liftams in large quantity, the same with panels. Otherwise the mocing potential is very limited. I think the 42070 would look good in regular blue as well and it would nicely expand blue panel range as it is very limited.

I agree: making the 42070 in regular blue would be a lot more beneficial for parts palette.

Also, bright green is why I didn't care at all about getting a 42039. For example, I don't think it'd look that bad in more "regular" colours:

TBs_20151011_2a.jpg

13 hours ago, LvdH said:

I guess Lego heard our "complaint" about too much red :grin:...

honestly I don't like all these colours either. Now we have many unfinished colour palettes instead of a bunch of finished ones (like red, black and white).

They have indeed listened and there will be more "colored" sets in the future adding more parts to the different color palettes.

If we continue to discuss the color palette, maybe it's better for me to split the discussion into a separate topic.

Don't know why Technic is far away from regular blue, maybe the 42070 in blue would look weird with red or just overcolored. I think earlier or later we will for sure see a supercar in medium azure or dark azure which fullfilles his color palette in panels and beams like the Porsche does it for orange. Remember in 2011, the orange color was very rare and now nearly every beam and important Technic part is available in orange. This will be the same in the future for other colors but nobody knows when. At any day we will have arrived the point at "we have all parts in all colors yet, so what happened next?" It is a logical step that new colors come to the theme to keep it alive and that the wish for something newish and for the "want-it-feeling" is still present. 

11 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

I agree: making the 42070 in regular blue would be a lot more beneficial for parts palette.

Also, bright green is why I didn't care at all about getting a 42039. For example, I don't think it'd look that bad in more "regular" colours:

It looks good in orange.

Just now, Timorzelorzworz said:

Don't know why Technic is far away from regular blue, maybe the 42070 in blue would look weird with red or just overcolored. I think earlier or later we will for sure see a supercar in medium azure or dark azure which fullfilles his color palette in panels and beams like the Porsche does it for orange. Remember in 2011, the orange color was very rare and now nearly every beam and important Technic part is available in orange. This will be the same in the future for other colors but nobody knows when. At any day we will have arrived the point at "we have all parts in all colors yet, so what happened next?" It is a logical step that new colors come to the theme to keep it alive and that the wish for something newish and for the "want-it-feeling" is still present. 

I think color usage is in correlation to price for plastic granules used to make LEGO parts. Remember sudden change from old light gray to light bluish gray and old dark gray to dark bluish gray. Not to mention newer shades of yellow etc... :wink:

Talking about colors is indeed offtopic, but Lego Technic is in the golden age at the moment an defacto they bring new stuff more and more because they can. Tharts all 

17 minutes ago, Jim said:

They have indeed listened and there will be more "colored" sets in the future adding more parts to the different color palettes.

If we continue to discuss the color palette, maybe it's better for me to split the discussion into a separate topic.

Splitting this discussion about colors into new separate topic is not bad idea at all,

or to rename this topic

in General Part and Part Color Discussion 

Talking about colors is indeed offtopic, but Lego Technic is in the golden age at the moment an defacto they bring new stuff more and more because they can. Tharts all 

Yes indeed, but @Jim has a point - probably 20% of our posts here are dealing with colors and color-related (OK new) parts

Edited by I_Igor

Let's not forget that TLG follows trends seen in other toys. Which means that bringing bright new colors is done for a reason....not simply because they can.

Splitting the topic is difficult, since we are discussing 2017 set colors as well.

So let's end the general color discussion here and I will create a new topic right away.

Proceed...

@Jim any hints as to when we'll hear more about this 2nd Anniversary surprise you've briefly mentioned?

i wasn't planning on buying any of the sets this year based on what's been shown so far

Blue, medium blue, dark blue, medium azrure, dark azrure.

So what is next?

I think transparent blue :D

Anyway, I trying build 41999 in medium blue. And when I saw 42070 picture, I hurray for think I can make 41999 in medium azrure. That is why I don't like 42070's dark azrure color.

Enough with the colour discussion, please, gents - we are not decorating houses :laugh:

Has anyone reverse engineered the drivetrains of 42069 and 42070 yet? The central diff in the 42070 wants a locker, doesn´t it? Would 42069 be a 4x4 with no central diff? I can´t see one and it might not be needed as the tracks provide a certain degree of slip. Thanks for shedding light.

Watching and following the public designer on tour videos, it is clear to see which designer has build which 1H2017 model. As we know from the stickers, 42069 is designed by Milan an 42070 by Uwe. Mentioned before in this topic, the designer of 42068 is for sure Alfred Pederson because he is completely missing on the 1H list. One designer is also missing and this is Michael T. Maybe he was one year on vacation OR more possible he build the surprising 42067. Following this strategy we must get a 42067 set, otherwise there is a designer in the Technic theme who does nothing for 2017.

12 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Enough with the colour discussion, please, gents - we are not decorating houses :laugh:

Has anyone reverse engineered the drivetrains of 42069 and 42070 yet? The central diff in the 42070 wants a locker, doesn´t it? Would 42069 be a 4x4 with no central diff? I can´t see one and it might not be needed as the tracks provide a certain degree of slip. Thanks for shedding light.

I think 42069 is 4x4 because there is an axle going to the front suspension and a 9L link. I think the link is for steering, so the axle should be drive.

25 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Watching and following the public designer on tour videos, it is clear to see which designer has build which 1H2017 model. As we know from the stickers, 42069 is designed by Milan an 42070 by Uwe. Mentioned before in this topic, the designer of 42068 is for sure Alfred Pederson because he is completely missing on the 1H list. One designer is also missing and this is Michael T. Maybe he was one year on vacation OR more possible he build the surprising 42067. Following this strategy we must get a 42067 set, otherwise there is a designer in the Technic theme who does nothing for 2017.

I was wondering if TOW was the initials of the designer/s´ surnames. Could the W be for Wabra and the T and O for other collaborators?

13 minutes ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

I think 42069 is 4x4 because there is an axle going to the front suspension and a 9L link. I think the link is for steering, so the axle should be drive.

Definitely 4x4 as there are front driveshafts and a drivetrain. I assume the fake motor drives a centre diff but if you see the video posted a few weeks ago, when the guy turns the rear track, the front one turns too. An open central diff would not allow that to happen.

42070 with an open central diff would be very poor offroad because as soon as one unsuspended front wheel lifts, all the drive goes to that wheel.