On 5/11/2017 at 5:51 AM, LvdH said:

Yeah, I agree. The price is way too high. If you look at 8043:

I'm completely baffled why anyone, not just you, find it fair to compare prices of sets sold 7 years apart. 

If you don't like the set, fine, but using false equivalence to justify that opinion is unfair. 

I don't like the tow truck because I think it's ugly, but since it's LEGO,  I'll build it once to see if I learn something, and disassemble it for the parts. 

Very true. 42070 has less PF parts than 8043 but much more regular parts that happen to include 6 huge tires, many large panels and four of the telescopic pieces. That's bound to effect the price. It may just appear more expensive because it doesn't have much appeal for many of us.

7 hours ago, allanp said:

Very true. 42070 has less PF parts than 8043 but much more regular parts that happen to include 6 huge tires, many large panels and four of the telescopic pieces. That's bound to effect the price. It may just appear more expensive because it doesn't have much appeal for many of us.

I don't think of affects the price much, the of would cost 50$ to get, so 20% of the cost is of and the rest is the parts like the wheels, linear actuators, panels, ect. The 8043 is not a good comparison because it is older and smaller.

Now thinking back, I think a road grader may be a plausible choice for 42070 B model, although it isn't in the same theme with the tow truck. A road grader typically has 6 tractor tyres, and is skeletal, so the lack of parts and abundance of panels can be used most effectively. The front wheels of a road grader has pendular suspension, just like the suspensions in the rear of 42070.

The turntable can be used to turn the blade, and the small LAs can be used to tilt the blade.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

1 hour ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Now thinking back, I think a road grader may be a plausible choice for 42070 B model, although it isn't in the same theme with the tow truck. A road grader typically has 6 tractor tyres, and is skeletal, so the lack of parts and abundance of panels can be used most effectively. The front wheels of a road grader has pendular suspension, just like the suspensions in the rear of 42070.

The turntable can be used to turn the blade, and the small LAs can be used to tilt the blade.

After reading that, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a grater. 

Not everything has to be used for B model. And if the gear racks are used they can be decorative like the gear quadrants in 42055 B model I guess.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

On 5/10/2017 at 9:26 PM, nguyengiangoc said:

You can expect a 20-30 EUR discount for model like this on amazon.de

Except in the US we can't buy from that Amazon site, it has to be the amazon.com, and for some reason they don't list items until either exact release date (no pre-orders normally), or sometime thereafter.  And it usually takes a little while for discounts to happen on Amazon, altho it is odd, 42054 and 42055 we're discounted towards Thanksgiving last year and have remained below MSRP ever since.  Whereas 42053 and 42056 have not been discounted as of yet, except by Marketplace sellers.  

On 5/11/2017 at 3:01 AM, Jim said:

As with many Technic models before this one....at first sight I thought meehhhhh.....but I really like the features in this model. I will lose the threads in a split second though. It needs big wheels :laugh:

Reminds me:

16075022734_420f6f1f0f_c.jpg

Jim - where did this model come from?  I see it contains mostly 42038's parts, but with wheels/rims from somewhere.  I thought both 42038 models we're brilliant, and if I could get my hands on some of these tires/rims, and some instructions I'd build it in a second.  

On 5/11/2017 at 2:19 PM, Maaboo35 said:

Could be a forwarder. I know, there's no logs - or so you might think. The 8416 skidder B-model had logs made from spare parts; sure, they're a bit square, but you can pick them up with a claw...

A certain model of Rottne forwarder has six wheels as well, so it could be a possibility.

Been done again by 42029.  That model was about as bad as 8416's B was IMO...in the case of 42029, steering with a 16-tooth non-bevel gear, looks goofy on top and probably hard on the fingers after a while.  

On 5/14/2017 at 4:26 AM, tohan said:

Or a snow plow attachment, just like 8110 and 42054... :laugh:

I hate the 8110 Plow model.  Well, not entirely...I loved the plow attachment, but the rear portion of the chassis looked very unfinished.  It needed something, but since they used all the grey panels for the blade, the back couldn't be enclosed.  And, like it has been said about 8110, 42054, and 8436, same chassis and cab, just different attachments.  Kind of feel cheated even though these B models we're excellent (withstanding the open back end of 8110).  Same can be said of 8421 also.  Same chassis and cab, just exchange the crane for the boom lift.  Felt I wanted to reply to this as it was brought up and I've always hated what felt like building the same model again and again, also know this portion is off-topic and I won't say a word about it again.  

9 minutes ago, DarkShadow73 said:

Jim - where did this model come from?  I see it contains mostly 42038's parts, but with wheels/rims from somewhere.  I thought both 42038 models we're brilliant, and if I could get my hands on some of these tires/rims, and some instructions I'd build it in a second.  

It's from his Technic review of 42038. He used the UCS Tumbler's wheels on the B-model.

6 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

It's from his Technic review of 42038. He used the UCS Tumbler's wheels on the B-model.

It think the most cost efficient way to get them is to buy two 42050 Drag Racer sets - you'll get 4 of these wheels and a bunch of other useful parts as well.

8 hours ago, DarkShadow73 said:

I simply attached the drag racer/tumbler front wheels to the 42038. Check out more info in my review:

7 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

This :classic:

I think the 42038 should have had those wheels originally. the tracks dont even mesh properly with the sprockets if you look closley at them, so I tend not to be that interested in tracks.

Anyway back to the topic, I think the 42070 could have had the loading bay area (if that makes it any clearer) filled in more, it is kinda patchy but does have some useful parts and clever functions.

The boom is only a 1 way boom but this means it is stronger when lifting things I guess. Looking forward to building these!.

Edited by SNIPE

I guess being remote controlled they had to be careful of the weight.

With the 40 Years Anniversary auto chassis instructions released as "42063_40Years" I can't help but wonder at 42067. Will it be a surprise set (that 42070 is supposed to tow as the stickers on the front bumper suggest) or is it just an other missing number ?

6 hours ago, tohan said:

With the 40 Years Anniversary auto chassis instructions released as "42063_40Years" I can't help but wonder at 42067. Will it be a surprise set (that 42070 is supposed to tow as the stickers on the front bumper suggest) or is it just an other missing number ?

Time will tell. I can't figure out why the number was missed.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:01 AM, Jim said:

As with many Technic models before this one....at first sight I thought meehhhhh.....but I really like the features in this model. I will lose the threads in a split second though. It needs big wheels :laugh:

Reminds me:

Jim, sorry for late comment, but with those wheels model looks awesome. :wub:

I can't wait to see 42069 set "modified" with tumbler wheels :thumbup:

On 5/25/2017 at 3:33 PM, tohan said:

We hope for nice surprise, but waiting is all what we can do now. Perhaps some off-road (Jeep like) vehicle with smaller "tractor" wheels?

well, I decided to do some research, because some people a few pages back were trying to justify 42070's price tag based on the price of the parts from Lego's part ordering site. Sorry folks, that doesn't work. I tried this, for 42035, and the result is that the parts for a $30 set bought alacarte cost about $58.11, not counting some parts that are out of stock. If Lego had every part for that set in stock, I'd expect the price to be north of $60. Which is more than double the price of the actual set, not counting shipping. Therefore, going by the parts website, every set is a good value, because no matter the set, it is still cheaper than buying the parts individually. That's sarcastic, of course. Using prices for individual parts available on Lego's website to justify a set's value does not work. It's comparing apples to oranges. What you should do is compare like with like, for instance, a flagship set with a flagship set. And based on that, 42070 is a poor value, in comparison to pretty much everything. 42030 cost about $250, and it had 2 more motors, and one more receiver, and a gigantic single mold part, and was licensed. I mean, it did have fewer parts, but the 10 cent per part is only a rule of thumb, as Lego has put out several sets that do not follow that, like the Ideas Saturn V rocket, or 42055, which are cheaper per part.

14 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

well, I decided to do some research, because some people a few pages back were trying to justify 42070's price tag based on the price of the parts from Lego's part ordering site. Sorry folks, that doesn't work. I tried this, for 42035, and the result is that the parts for a $30 set bought alacarte cost about $58.11, not counting some parts that are out of stock. If Lego had every part for that set in stock, I'd expect the price to be north of $60. Which is more than double the price of the actual set, not counting shipping. Therefore, going by the parts website, every set is a good value, because no matter the set, it is still cheaper than buying the parts individually. That's sarcastic, of course. Using prices for individual parts available on Lego's website to justify a set's value does not work. It's comparing apples to oranges. What you should do is compare like with like, for instance, a flagship set with a flagship set. And based on that, 42070 is a poor value, in comparison to pretty much everything. 42030 cost about $250, and it had 2 more motors, and one more receiver, and a gigantic single mold part, and was licensed. I mean, it did have fewer parts, but the 10 cent per part is only a rule of thumb, as Lego has put out several sets that do not follow that, like the Ideas Saturn V rocket, or 42055, which are cheaper per part.

That was always the case. From my point of view it is only necessary to buy parts alone when you need something what is not in production anymore. When we talked about production; when can we expect first reviews of 2H this years "production" like 42069 or 42070 set?

Thanks for the find! So, the 42070 has indeed remotelly-controlled driving and steering, with the user having to manually switch to the other functions. I'm still on the fence about the usability of that, will need to see it in action.

1 hour ago, technic_addict said:

Does anyone know the length of flex axle on the fire truck?  I counted it to be 9L but that size has never been done.

Seems to be 11L

Just now, J_C said:

4cylinder for 42070? LEGO is also downsizing? 

I don't think such big vehicle has 4 cylinder engine in real world. Usually 4 cylinder engines have up to 230Hp and think this is not enough :sceptic: