2 hours ago, agrof said:

via: https://www.facebook.com/BuildingQuality/

Edit: there is some more stuff in the trunk, looks like a shelf/desk to be pulled out, and to erect.

Wow, I definitely need to make some importantĀ changes for my LDD replica - it works even better and complicateĀ that I supposedĀ :laugh:

5 hours ago, agrof said:

via: https://www.facebook.com/BuildingQuality/

Edit: there is some more stuff in the trunk, looks like a shelf/desk to be pulled out, and to erect.

Impressive. A good example of how not to judge a book by its cover. The way the doors open, the foldable tent-roof thing and the small system details sure convinced me. I will get one, if not two.

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video.

I pretty much decided to only get the Rescue Vehicle this year, but I've made up my mind. This looks like a great model! I stillĀ don't think the Tow Truck will grow on me though, it's totally the opposite of how I want a technic set to be.

I wonder how this video could leak so early...

$270 for 42070? Ā That's insane, RC or not. Ā That's $10 shy of 42055 with more than twice the piece count and a lot more fun and functions. Ā 42070 makes 8285 look bad. Ā The only set I see as worth it this year is the long-awaited and 2016-cancelled 42068. Ā I wonder if that model will have a engine/differential as it looks like a brother to 2003's 8454 Rescue Truck? Ā Doing a Euro to US dollar conversion I came up with $85.85 USD, that is assuming these prices are set in stone? Ā 42069 is just not growing on me and at that price. Ā I liked the Arctic Truck a lot, it was interesting even if it had a crane that seemed more like an afterthought.

I actually have been enjoying the sets of 1H2017, they are interesting and the combi-model of 42058/59 is really quite cool looking. Ā I also ended up purchasing the 42066 Air Race Jet, both A and B models we're very good, at first the light blue color scheme didn't do it for me, but the plane itself did as I really enjoyed the 42025 from 2014. Ā I agree with whole thing about the main model's wing span being too short, but overall it was a good build and fun with the PF, both A and B. Ā I bought 2 so I could have both built at once. Ā The 42062 is an interesting set. Ā I wish the boom on the container truck had the same function as the 42061's boom has, and not just completely extended or retracted, but its still fun to play with and I really like the orange coloring, probably that and the azure blue colors from 42050 and 42059 are my favorites. Ā Nice break from the standard 'outer shell' yellows, reds and blacks.

The 42064 and 65 don't really interest me much, the boat, if $99 or so would be ok, but like many have said, it seems more like a City build, except with mostly Technic parts.Ā Ā The 42065 is the same, 270 pcs, full RC, but price is too high. Ā Not a real techie build like other RC models have had. Ā A few of the 1H models have been more like City or very, very simplified Technic, unlike past years' 1H offerings, but TRU had a good sale a few weeks ago so picked up the 42060 and 62. Ā I do like the 42063 BMW bike as well, but the upper compartment seemed a bit much, so I took that one off. Ā I really would like to build the Classic Car Chassis, but to sacrifice $120 on 3 sets and use only about half of the pieces is a tough call. Ā Can always dismantle the 63, 61 and 57 to build it down the road. Ā 

1 hour ago, DarkShadow73 said:

Doing a Euro to US dollar conversion I came up with $85.85 USD, that is assuming these prices are set in stone?

You can expect a 20-30 EUR discount for model like this on amazon.de
Ā 

As with many Technic models before this one....at first sight I thought meehhhhh.....but I really like the features in this model. I will lose the threads in a split second though. It needs big wheelsĀ :laugh:

Reminds me:

16075022734_420f6f1f0f_c.jpg

2 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

42038 Arctic Truck is the mehhhh one when compared with 42069Ā :laugh:

True that!Ā 

Although the color scheme is better than the 42069. But that can actually be fixed!

Yes, although I really like the 42070, the price is really hard to justify. I will wait with final conclusions, but for the moment I feel like there is a 7 more and a 0 less indicated in that official price. Or at least one more XL motorĀ is missing from the part list...

Let's make a quick theoretical analysis, I just checked the replacement part order at LEGO - prices converted from HUF to EUR:

• tires (x 6),Ā rims (x 6) and the gear racks with housingsĀ (x 4 each):Ā 58,66Ā Euro
  • electronics (1 XL; 1 M; 1 IR receiver; 1 IR controller):Ā 63,31 Euro
  • panels approx (36Ā panels counted quickly): 40Ā Euro
  • portal axles with gearblocks (x 6 each): 11 Euro

This is 72Ā pcs, which takeĀ 172,97 Euros from budget.Ā 97,02Ā Euro left for 1790 parts (5,42 cents per part). Now, assuming, that LEGO put extra profit on replacement part orders due to extra storage, handling, administration, labour costs, the production costs and due to the selling price in packed products should be less, so the above mentioned 72Ā pcs should be counted with less amount. I want to say with this:

I don't know where this calculation goes, but I definitely did it.Ā :grin:

Ā 

Edited by agrof

Okay! One set's B-model down, two more to go! Despite 42070's price, I'm wondering if that one's alternate build might make it worth the dosh. I'm also wondering what else you can do with 42068. Not enough wheels for two buggies, like 8454... a buggy and a bike, mayhap?Ā :laugh:

My reasoning for 42070 B model is this:

- It has 6 big wheels + 6 portal hubs + Ā RC + only 2 motors -> B model is another 6x6. 8110, 9398, 42030 all have big wheels and portal hubs and their B models have the same drive structure. Can't really imagine splitting 2 wheels + 2 portal hubs

- B model is in the same theme with A model -> B model is something related to tow, recovery, truck, off-road.

So I think 42070 B model can beĀ a 6x6 Off-road Flatbed Truck, with a flatbed made of 6 sides panel and 4 gear racks and some liftarms. Thit bedĀ can tilt and slide downĀ like that in 42024.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Could be a forwarder. I know, there's no logs - or so you might think. The 8416 skidder B-model had logs made from spare parts; sure, they're a bit square, but you can pick them up with a claw...

A certain model of Rottne forwarder has six wheels as well, so it could be a possibility.

Edited by Maaboo35
Expanded comment

Huh, by looking at the comments, it turns out I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Tow Truck. It seems wayyy overpriced IMO (in comparison with other Technic sets)

22 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Huh, by looking at the comments, it turns out I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Tow Truck. It seems wayyy overpriced IMO (in comparison with other Technic sets)

It is bloody overpriced! It's a good-looking bit of equipment, but a good-looking price tag to go along with it wouldn't go amiss.

Why do I see 42070's B model as being a grader? It just seems to fit. But, knowing Lego, and considering the uninspired A model, the B model will be just as much of a copout.

I don't know any Technic set where I thought the B-model was better than the A-model. Sometimes, it might be just as good, but most often it's not near as interesting in my opinion. The A-model and inventory is the only thing I look at when considering buying a set.

EDIT: It has actually happened once. I thought the B-model for the Claas Xerion was better than the A-model, but it wasn't really another model, just another attachment.

Edited by HallBricks

1 minute ago, HallBricks said:

I don't know any Technic set where I thought the B-model was better than the A-model.

Well, in some markets (most notably North America) the B-model of the 8284 was the tractor... :wink:

14 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I don't know any Technic set where I thought the B-model was better than the A-model. Sometimes, it might be just as good, but most often it's not near as interesting in my opinion. The A-model and inventory is the only thing I look at when considering buying a set.

EDIT: It has actually happened once. I thought the B-model for the Claas Xerion was better than the A-model, but it wasn't really another model, just another attachment.

I actually sort of preferred the B-model of the 24-hours racer to the A-model. I thought its functionality was generally more interesting even if the shaping might have been slightly compromised by the available parts.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:32 PM, Saberwing40k said:

Why do I see 42070's B model as being a grader?

Or a snow plow attachment, just like 8110 and 42054...Ā :laugh:

41 minutes ago, tohan said:

Or a snow plow attachment, just like 8110 and 42054...Ā :laugh:

I wouldn't think it'd be that. There's nowhere to attach it.

Indeed, I was being a bit sarcastic as the snow plows from 8110 and 42054 (despite being seemingly quite good) look a bit like lazy b-models to me and I was wondering if TLG will pull this trick once again...Ā 

I am definitely going to get 42069 which seems like a reverse of 42038s a and b models and will get the other two based on their b models. I reckon the other two will be a standard fire truck like 8289 ( even though the wheels are wrong) for 42068 and 4x4 rock crawler with a spare wheel for 42070

I would really likeĀ and am hopingĀ the B-ModelĀ for 42070 is a crawler. I think that opposed to a truck, like 9398, it would be more of a Jeep. Ā 

Actually, going back to the attachment idea, it might be that the 42070 alternate models are different arm/crane attachments, like 8436. The boom on 42070 does have the same sort of look as the 42054 crane, so it might be reconfigurable in the same way.