42070... Okay, you can like it, but I don't, and I'm arguing objectively why it is a bad set.

Good grief, this thing sucks. Like turbo disappointing. I actually have a few good reasons for having some major NERD RAGE over this set.

1. The price.It is egregiously and insultingly overpriced. This thing is listed at $290 US, which is a lot. It is $10 more than 42055, which has more than twice the number of pieces, and almost as much as 42056 (Which is egregiously overpriced as well), which has almost 1000 more pieces, and is a licensed, premium set. It also costs $40 more than 42030, even though that was licensed, had a large new bucket piece, and twice the number of motors. According to my calculations, 42070 should cost about $~230 US (1800 pieces=$180+$50 for PF components, based on their individual prices.) Instead,it is $290. Where did the other $60 go? It certainly did not go to the design of the set, or any new part budget, so it's just ridiculous padding. The price gouging is inexcusable, especially considering point 2.
  2. The design. When I first saw pictures of the set, I though it looked really rough. But lo and behold, at the Toy Fair, it looked exactly like the box pic. Why? The one time Lego changed a model significantly between prelim pictures and final version was 42039, and that made it look worse, but they couldn't change this truck to look better? And, of course, even if we have some months to go, they will do nothing to improve the truck. The truck is ugly and slab sided, and gappy in some places, and the headlights make no sense. I defy anyone to find a truck that looks like that. The lenses make it look like the truck is wearing glasses, and looks rather ugly. Also, the grill as a sticker is just plain lazy. The crane arm also looks terrible, looking like it was thrown together in 5 minutes. But, what kind of features do we have? That would make up for weird exterior design, right? Wrong! The outriggers are clever, but the crane arm only has raising boom, and a winch, which is completely inaccurate. The arm should be telescopic as well, at least, and the base should look more closed in. Also, the truck is completely missing a tow fork in back, which means that this is not a tow truck. Why? Did marketing pull the name out of thin air without seeing the model? And why are we so light on functions? We have 6, counting drive and steering. But, previous flagships, even RC ones, have had more. 42030 only has four, but has so much other detail and is full RC. 8043 had 6. 42043 had 7, plus drive and steering, and 42055 had 3 motorized, and several manual functions. As a bonus, the suspension is completely inaccurate. The suspension isn't even accurate for pendular suspension, which I think is perfectly valid. But why even include suspension when it is barely functional in the first place? Also, why is Lego so resistant to doing something like doubling up springs? Also, It's not like they haven't been able to use sprung suspension before, on 9398. Why not do live axles with more springs? Or maybe more springs would not be needed, as this set would have six of them, and some precompress would not be unwelcome. But, I haven't even gotten to the bad part. This set is a remote control set with a manual gearbox? Why? It's not like a RC function switcher hasn't been done before, with 8043. Honestly, a derivative of that gearbox would work just fine, since this set only has six functions as well. So, what does the manual gearbox gain you? All of the compromises of an RC set, with none of the play value. If you need to engage controls on it manually, then why not have it be a full manual set, maybe with a drive function like 42042 or 42055? That way, everything could be better. Ditto the crane arm. If you can't pass more than 2 functions through the turntable, why not have an extensible manual section? You have a manual gearbox anyway. So, what does this set do well? Well, the outriggers are innovative, and the steering should work fine. But other than that, the functions seem half baked.
  3. No new parts. Zero. None. All we get are garish recolors of existing parts in a not particularly popular color, making modding more difficult. Rather than introduce new colors, how about filling out the parts roster of an existing color? Also annoyingly, the wheels are yellow, which sticks out like a sore thumb, even though the rims are available in red, or black, which would have both looked better. We also get a differential in red, for no reason, and dogbone pieces in red, also for no reason. The dogbone pieces are kind of nice, but given how the boom looks, maybe we could have worried about making that assembly look better, instead of do a pointless recolor? Also, the differential in red. Why? Why go to the trouble of introducing that in that color? That piece doesn't need to stand out. It also does not need to be color coded. What other part could you confuse it with?  Also, again, no new parts, even if this set had the perfect opportunity to introduce concentric shaft pieces to allow three functions through the turntable. But no, we had to have those panels in that wacky shade of blue.
  4. It does not follow the precedent set by past flagships. Now, it would be one thing if it did not live up to fans overhyping it, but it does not live up to Lego's own standards. It lacks technical complexity and authenticity, and is not playable, even if there is literally no reason to not have a remote control function switch. And, unlike most flagships, it does not push the envelope in any way. Let's go through, shall we? 42055 is the largest Technic set ever, of a never before seen type of machine. 42043 introduced the newest pneumatic system, and was the first truck in its scale to have full suspension, and set a new size record at the time. 42030 was the first RC wheel loader, and first licensed RC set. 42009 was the largest crane truck, in terms of size and part count, and has the best outriggers of any crane set. 9398 was the first wheeled RC set,  introduced the L and Servo motors, and was the basis of the "You design it, We make it" challenge, which was wholly unprecedented, and has not been repeated. 8110 was the first licensed Technic set, was the largest set at the time, introduced a large number of parts, like the portal axle and torque tube pieces, and was the first set in orange. 8043 was the first RC excavator, and the only RC set to have more that four functions, with that amazing gearbox. 8258 was another size record setter, the second PF flagship, the first knuckle boom style crane truck, and used concentric shafts in the crane for the first time. 8297 and 8295 were the only joint flagships, and both did amazing things. 8275 was the first full RC set ever, and the first Power Functions Technic set. But, do you see what I'm getting at? All of the flagships for the past 10 years have pushed the state of the art, and followed Lego's philosophy of only the best is good enough. And, 42070 totally lets it down.

Well, that's a wall of text, but I wanted to support my conclusions with evidence. And, that's what I think I did. And I am hoping against hope that Lego decides to pull a switcharoo, with this set being a decoy to fool Lepin, and the actual flagship being much better. But, that probably ain't going to happen.

Also, where is 42067? Why would Lego skip another number again? I dislike it when they do that, and seriously? What was wrong with the fire truck? Also, the delayed set should be in addition to next years lineup, and not replace anything.

Final;ly, I have got to say, I'm slightly disappointed that Lego has not done anything really for the 40th anniversary of Technic besides some printed beams in sets. It would be the perfect time for a new design competition, but maybe that happens later.

Edited by Saberwing40k

@Saberwing40k Well said. :thumbup: However, for me, a cheap ebay/Bricklink find of this set would be nice to use as a parts/wheels pack, otherwise I am not buying it. The extreme Adventure set is looking better and better, IMO. It would have been nice to a video of its functions, just to know what it does, but if I get any of these, it would be this one. Most likely.

1 hour ago, Saberwing40k said:

Well, that's a wall of text, but I wanted to support my conclusions with evidence. And, that's what I think I did. And I am hoping against hope that Lego decides to pull a switcharoo, with this set being a decoy to fool Lepin, and the actual flagship being much better. But, that probably ain't going to happen.

Also, where is 42067? Why would Lego skip another number again? I dislike it when they do that, and seriously? What was wrong with the fire truck? Also, the delayed set should be in addition to next years lineup, and not replace anything.

Final;ly, I have got to say, I'm slightly disappointed that Lego has not done anything really for the 40th anniversary of Technic besides some printed beams in sets. It would be the perfect time for a new design competition, but maybe that happens later.

Whilst I do not dislike the set, I completely agree with you - as I remarked a few pages ago - that it certainly does not look the part as the 2017 flagship. I remain certain (or should I say wishfully optimistic) that Lego has more up their sleeve. I just cannot believe the 40 year anniversary flagship will be a 1862 pcs set. No way.

As for 42067, I really like the idea of the tribute to 8860. We need more of these (I hope there are more in store) and I wouldn't be against a fully updated tribute as well. I would love to see a full scale modern version of 8860, 8865, 8868, 8880. 8480...

I am not familiar with Lego's sets release strategy but does it make sense that they get 10 sets on H1 and only 2 on H2 ?

42067 is not a set and 42068 was just pushed back from 2016 (so it has not been designed on the 2017 budget), that leaves only 42069 and 42070 as genuinely new H2 sets for 2017.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2015 had 4 sets (42040, 41, 42 and 43) on H2 and 2016 had also 4 sets (42053, 54, 55 and 56), so even if I know the number of sets are not the same every year, I would still expect no less than 4 sets and frankly, I would expect that the 40 years anniversary would warrant some extra budget to make that product line shine a tad more than usual (and I really hope that extra was not all spent on the 3L anniversary liftarm!) so 5 sets wouldn't be surprising.

So I'd say there is definitely room for at least 2 more sets: a real flagship (with pcs count > 2,500) and a second set in the Ultimate serie ?

Wow. 

This is going to be an EXTREMELY cheap year in Technic for me. I just bought the BWE, and it might be the only set I buy all year. 

:thumbdown:  :cry_sad:

7 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

42070... Okay, you can like it, but I don't, and I'm arguing objectively why it is a bad set.

Good grief, this thing sucks. Like turbo disappointing. I actually have a few good reasons for having some major NERD RAGE over this set.

1. The price.
  2. The design
  3. No new parts
  4. It does not follow the precedent set by past flagships. Now, it would be one thing if it did not live up to fans overhyping it, but it does not live up to Lego's own standards. It lacks technical complexity and authenticity, and is not playable, even if there is literally no reason to not have a remote control function switch.

I would add my thoughts. I think "nerd rage" is a bit overreaction here. :classic:

The price is high-no doubt, but if You compare to 42055-42056, than consider the parts they include. It is a bit comparing apple with orange.

• 42055: 1 XL motor, 1 battery box, LOT of chain links (small parts), lot of small parts
  • 42056: no PF, premium box (???? meh), works with flaws
  • 42070: 1 M motor, 1 XL motor, 1 battery box, 1 IR receiver, 1 IR remote, LOT of panels, portal hubs, big gear racks (http://brickset.com/parts/design-18940) and huge tires. Keep in mind these are more pricey each than chain links, small beams, and pins (more plastic material - more expensive molding tools shared on smaller production quantities).
  • Part count is not an objective comparison base.

The design is always a subjective thing.

• There are great solutions there, and cheap ones (I agree on the grill - should have been brick built).
  • Headlights - who cares, remove them.
  • Maybe it should be called recovery truck instead, than definition matches better here.
  • Agree the crane arm looks also cheap, though I don't find lack of telescopic function for an issue here. It is just yet another crane, not the main focus of this model, like was in 42009.
  • Actually 2 axles go through the turntable: 1 for the LA and 1 for the winch - similar to 9397.
  • Functions: You compare with others with same or similar number of functions, so I don't see why to claim here. 9398 had 2 functions, still was a flagship. I don't see the point comparing by this perspective.
  • Springs could be used, right. We still must consider, that as a toy, the design must be foolproof, whatever how children handle them, + budget restrictions.
  • Manual gearbox + IR is realistic (as I mentioned in one previous comment - see below), ingenious on its own, and advanced technical design by combining both. I am sure the gearbox is pretty complex.
On 2017. 02. 05. at 10:01 AM, agrof said:

I am on the opposite side, I find it cool, and it is kind of realistic. Working with real tow trucks requires both manual and remote controlled operations - actually mostly all functions have both.

Using this feature for making the truck RC driveable "Trial Truck" is a great package by LEGO. :thumbup:

(BTW: pendular suspension is actual suspension. :wink:)

• No play value really? It has a TON of it: I could spend hours playing recovery situations with 42043 / 42030 + Truck Trial anywhere!

No new parts: since when it is mandatory to show new parts? If You want so, You can consider the return of the old differential as new part appearance. (And it is for most people, who are not involved for decades in LEGO - actually for me it is new too, never had any.) EDIT: as @andythenorth writes below: probably redesigned, so basically new.

42067 - I can just echo my previous thought - which will be probably never confirmed:

On 2017. 02. 18. at 7:33 PM, agrof said:

Interesting, that the labels on 42070 show "TOW 067", like this model would have been registered as 42067 (project number), but meanwhile the design phase they put too much testosteron in it :grin: - so they had to move into the top league with new number (to follow the usual numbering queue). Than we would have an explanation for the "missing one".

Of course we see the things differently, but we share some points, still to ground 42070 completely is a bit harsh. :wink:

Edited by agrof

1. I like 42070, manual gearbox and everything else. My kids want it. If it's £220 will I buy it? Nah, no way, it's absolutely definitely not worth that much.

2. 2017 releases look like they're the 'tock' on a tick-tock cycle.  Bear in mind that 2016 sets will be sold through 2017, maybe into 2018. The 2016 wave was a big 'tick': at least 3 sets that could have been a flagship, Porsche, BWE, Claas, plus the Volvo. 2017 is a less impressive 'tock' to prevent the combined range containing too many high priced, high function sets. My guess anyway. (Tick-tock was Intel's strategy for releasing chips: alternating cycles of big change, incremental change).

3. Red differential: consistency with red clutch gears. Maybe it was remolded to remove the locker dogs, or adapt them to new dog clutch style?

Edited by andythenorth

Woo, that's a wall of BS. It really is.

Maybe the differential is red for people to be more focused when they add it. It catches their attention to avoid to put it upside down, which would result in a paralyzed fake engine.

14 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

2. 2017 releass look like tick-tock range padding. 2016 sets will be sold through 2017, maybe into 2018. The 2016 wave was a big 'tick': Porsche, BWE, Claas, Volvo. 2017 is a less impressive 'tock' to prevent the combined range containing too many high priced, high function sets. My guess anyway. (Tick-tock was Intel's strategy for releasing chips: alternating cycles of big change, incremental change).

That's an interesting take on it. But then why make the 40 year Technic anniversary a 'tick' year ? Does that make sense ? I'd be disappointed if it was so. I would not like to settle for anything less impressive than the 2016 line up for 2017.

35 minutes ago, tohan said:

I would not like to settle for anything less impressive than the 2016 line up for 2017.

I guess you get what you get. :classic: The range is announced.  

AFOLs might not figure that the 2016 line is also the 2017 line, if you're a parent in a toy store or buying on a website.  

The combined Technic range, right now, is probably the most impressive it's ever been.  And there are certainly more big-money sets than I'm going to buy (as both an AFOL and a parent). :wink:

2017 It's a real poor year for me regarding technic sets. 42070 set doesn't look at all like a flagman to me, it doesn't have a lot of parts, it's not full RC, the design it's meeeeh and the price... for what? But I like a lot the 42069, and I think that’s the only one I will buy.

9 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

AFOLs might not figure that the 2016 line is also the 2017 line, if you're a parent in a toy store or buying on a website.  

The combined Technic range, right now, is probably the most impressive it's ever been.  And there are certainly more big-money sets than I'm going to buy (as both an AFOL and a parent). :wink:

Hear hear! 

I'm not overly excited about the 42070 but I think for the target audience, it's a great set. It has everything:

• Remote operated
  • Gear box to change functions
  • Playability
  • Versatile parts selection

How much I like and prefer the previous flagships, the last one to feature all of these features is the venerable 8043. This set surely has a place in the current line-up. I think the mechanisms are nothing to sneeze at. There's a gear box, two functions passing through a turntable and the outriggers are clever. This is exactly the type of set I would have loved to have as a 12 year old.

We have to remember that basically our hobby is subsidised by parents buying  gifts for their children. I didn't do the market research but I assume (hope) LEGO did and I can totally see this set being a success. The price is hefty but I'll bet you good money there is quite some room to lower the price and you''ll be able to pick it up for $230 at some point. I'll probably not buy this set but I'm definitely rooting for it.

44 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

True indeed, but I stand by my statement(s)...  what's been announced so far for 2017 seems sub-par compared to 2016 and I am having a hard time believing that's all there is to it, especially considering that 2017 is somewhat a special year.

It maybe just that 2016 was really impressive (42054, 55 and 56 are setting the bar quite high).

44 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

The combined Technic range, right now, is probably the most impressive it's ever been. 

That's very true indeed.

Still, I'll probably get these 42069 and 42070 sets as it's been a long while since anybody bought them for me... :-)

Edited by tohan

11 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

All of the flagships for the past 10 years have pushed the state of the art, and followed Lego's philosophy of only the best is good enough. And, 42070 totally lets it down.

The 42070 does push the state of art IMO. The hybrid gearbox represents the next step in the evolution of Technic models, because it has several advantages over the traditional 4-function gearbox, the multi-directional gear box, the RC motor setup, and even the 8043 gearbox.

4 hours ago, andythenorth said:

The combined Technic range, right now, is probably the most impressive it's ever been.

I agree on size and features (we have PF, IR, Pneumatic and the biggest variety of mechanical parts available in 40 years), but it feels rather one-sided right now, LOADS of construction/industrial equipment, with some flight themed sets sprinkled in (display team jet, ultra-light gyro, heavy lift chopper and air race jet). Personally im much more racing/road vehicle oriented, and all we have there is 42048 and 42056, i own the go-kart, and i have no appetite for spending €300 on the porsche, its just not THAT good. There is the funny car and the tracked racer, but 1), the funny car should be named ugly car instead (and features nothing noteworthy other then two tumbler tires), and the tracked racer is just a PF pack in disguise.

Im sorely missing the likes of 42000, 42022, 42039, 42036, 43037, 42041, 42029, some of which i have, some of which i sadly missed

I have though for about 14 years or more that Technic had a tick-tock line up (never heard it called that before, nice term!).

2003 = 8455. 7 pneumatic functions that work well, recreated authentically and were powerful and great playablity plus fake engine a steering. One of the best flagships ever for a very low price and relatively small part count. TICK!

2004 = 8436. It takes a lot of work for me to not like a pneumatic set. This did it with it's simplistic chassis. Should have been released in a smaller scale to match it's complexity and functionality and no memorable new parts. TOCK!

2005 = 8421. first crane to have double extending boom and fake engine plus it has pneumatics and a buggy motor. TICK!

2006 = 8285. A 3 axle tow truck but in black (MUCH better than baby blue), telescopic boom and pneumatics. This should be a win, but being better than 42070 isn't saying much. It brings nothing new for 2006, and after 8421, TOCK!

2007 = 8275. Now I personally don't like the mechanical simplicity of this set. Nor do I like RC sets in general for there usual simplicity and hands off operation. But it did bring those tracks and more powerful motors. Hard to argue against it's innovation. Hmmm. A tentative TICK....I guess.

2008 = 8297. Nothing new here. adjustable ride height was done in 1998's v6 futuristic car thingy. It did introduce a new diff, but it can't handle much torque, inner bevel gears are prone to breaking and have very little engagement with their axles and at 5:7 it gives very little gear reduction . TOCK! 

2009 = 8258. It has LAs where there should be pneumatics, perhaps longer ones!!! It's completely mechanically inauthentic. However this set also has some decent complexity perhaps on par with the previously unchallenged king of complex gear trains 8480. It also introduced the 5x7 and 5x11 frames, which have become perhaps the most useful parts ever for the build in any direction studless world. Overall, I think I like it. A tentative TICK!

2010 = 8043. Pretty much the same as 8258 with it's complex (good) but unrealistic (bad) mechanics, but with RC (for me bad) and no memorable new parts, a tentative TOCK! (ducks and runs for cover!!!)

2011 = 8110. A whole host of new parts designed to make mechanically authentic mechanisms, fully suspended/live axle truck and pneumatic. It's 8110, it has both authenticity and complexity. What more is there to say! TIIIIIICK!

2012 = 9398. Overly simplistic and completely mechanically unrealistic. Though it did introduce the servo motor which is great, but the rest of the set is just so lacking. TOCK!

2013 = 42009. This is a tough one. Much like 8258 and 8043 is has the inauthentic kind of complexity. The outriggers are innovative and complex but don't work very well. It's right in the middle between tick and tock. But then it did have at the time the largest piece count by far for any Technic set and is arguably at the time the most complex set ever, but then the complexity works against it when the motor can't drive so many gears to drive the outriggers. But it does look good though and is big and beefy, but then it has a wobbly super structure. I dunno, I guess I like it overall. Very tentative TICK!

2014 = 42030. Unrealistic without the complexity to make it worth while. It has a cool new bucket but the amount of PF makes it very expensive for having little mechanical appeal. TOCK!

2015 = 42043. Complexity, massive authenticity, new parts to make it more authentic including better pneumatics and turntable, 4 fully sprung live axles with 12 wheels, TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK!!!!!

2016 = 42055. The way the wheel of buckets scoop up stuff and then makes the stuff travel along a few conveyors out the back is very authentic. The actual mechanics behind that may not be so authentic, but that would require many more motors, at least one for the bucket wheel, one for each conveyor, one for each track, one for slewing and one for slewing the conveyor, so that makes 7 motors, so it's understandable but a second motor for the bucket wheel to make it move move smoothly and with more power would have been nice. It has those great new curved gear racks and a fair bit of complexity and is very impressive to see in person. It may not be as good as 42043 but it's still very good. TICK!

So the last two years were for me a pleasant anomaly with 2 TICKS in a row. The smaller 2h sets of those last two years were also way above average. Im still hoping that they threw the 2017 sets together quickly knowing that the much better sets from the previous two years would still be on the shelves to give them more time to work on an epic and ambitious 2018 line up.

4 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

The 42070 does push the state of art IMO. The hybrid gearbox represents the next step in the evolution of Technic models, because it has several advantages over the traditional 4-function gearbox, the multi-directional gear box, the RC motor setup, and even the 8043 gearbox.

+1

42070 is really growing on me, Beside the driving and steering, I think this kind of hybrid makes it much easier to operate. After all, how many have added a IR Receiver to an official Technic "gearbox" model, or a PF switch, to more easily operate the motor than just using the switch on the BB.

Looking back a few years, it becomes clear that 42070 is indeed the largest RC set to date at 1862 pcs. So it looks like I have to withdraw my previous comments that we could hope for a bigger surprise.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of PF and even less so of RC models - I only own 41999 and 42030 and I have to  admit the Crawler is a lot of fun to play with.

For the same money, however, I'd much rather get the extra 600~2500 pcs.

20078275 - 1384 pcs w/ PF-RC

2008:  8297 - 1097 pcs w/ PF

2009:  8258 - 1877 pcs w/ PF

20108043 - 1123 pcs w/ PF-RC

2011:  8110 - 2048 pcs w/ PF

20129398 - 1327 pcs w/ PF-RC

2013: 42009 - 2606 pcs w/ PF (41999 - 1585 pcs w/ PF-RC)

2014: 42030 - 1636 pcs w/ PF-RC

2015: 42043 - 2795 pcs w/ PF

2016: 42055 - 3927 pcs w/ PF

2017: 42070 - 1862 pcs w/ PF-RC

5 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Really? Name one advantage. If you're going to make a statement, be prepared to back it up.:classic:

After watching a video of dokludi's replica of 42070, I have to say it's growing on me a bit (a reasonable view, seeing as dokludi's replicas are almost identical to the final product). My only original gripe was the lack of live axle suspension, but after seeing the chassis I see there just wouldn't be enough space to include that, so I think what we get is a fairish compromise. The pricing is still way off for me, much like a large number of the 2017 sets.

I think We should not be so worried about those prices being final. Just look at the SRP 1H 2017 sets on the Toy Fair:

42066 - 160USD

42065 - 100USD

42064 - 120USD

42063 - 60USD

Basically a ~20% higher than the actual retail price or even more if we compare with bricklink and so on. So I guess the Retail price of 42070 could be 220USD (On par of the latest flagships) 42069 140USD and 42068 80USD (a Price per piece similar to 42064)

7 hours ago, Saberwing40k said:

Really? Name one advantage. If you're going to make a statement, be prepared to back it up.:classic:

I'll just quote myself:

- For RC models, the number of functions often depends on the number of motors, as evidenced by the most recent ones 8275, 9398, 42030, 42065. The 8043 is an exception because it has 6 functions with only 4 motors, but the general rule still holds. And since PF components are more costly than other components, having too many of them will drive the cost up. Now this 42070 is also a RC but has 6 functions with only 2 motors. That to me is a revolution.

- The multi-directional gearbox might be more intuitive to use, but it also takes up more space. With the traditional multi-functional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 2 functions. With the multi-directional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 1 functions. Now this 42070 has 4 non-movement functions (outriggers, swiveling, raising arms, winch), and how many switch does it have for them? 1 switch (excluding the other mode-controlling switch). By leaving the task of changing directions to the remote control, the gearbox takes up much much less space. That to me is a revolution. I expect to see more of this implementation in the future.

59 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I'll just quote myself:

Yeah, I don't think so.

8043 does everything you say is innovative, and does it better because it is actually full RC. Having to switch functions manually on an RC model isn't a "revolution" Essentially, that just makes the set a push along model, with all of the cost and complexity disadvantages of an RC set. Also, your statement about the gearboxes makes absolutely zero sense. Yeah, it hasn't been done before, but it would only work with this particular set, or maybe a two motor flagship, which is a rather unlikely thing. So, you make mention of 8043, but completely ignore it, which is kind of junk logic. None of the other RC sets have needed more than four motors, and if 42070 is $290 any way, they could have easily had 3 motors and 6 receivers. What this setup is is a solution to a problem that should not exist. And, it really is no different from a 2 function switch, just doubled up and connected to a common lever. It's like 42000, or 42029. 42070 just seems like a wacky experiment or a half finished prototype, and has no business being a set.  You're free to like it, but based on precedent, you can not argue that is innovative. Innovation is a matter of fact, and liking or disliking is a matter of opinion. So, you like it, I don't, and I'm not trying to convince you not to.

A little change of topic... I've seen a couple of videos of the New York Toy Fair and no sign of the frame... I was really hoping for some different photos of the frame from the NY fair.

Anybody seen any photos of the frame from the NY Fair?

I think l am looking forward to the frame more than the sets.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D