On 2/2/2017 at 6:25 AM, Nequmodiva said:

Lets be realistic here. A car chassis set is a somehow unfinished model. It wouldn't fit into the current technic range. Every parent or child standing in a toy shop would choose any other set because they simply look better. I'm sure LEGO never even considered releasing the combined model as a separate set. Only reaching those AFOLs with a fond memory of the original car chassis set is a very small target group for a product. And that's why it's more than nice that they still took the effort to make the instructions for this updated version! And those of us who want a permanent build of it for their collection probably have enough spare parts or know how to bricklink them anyway.

This makes perfect sense. Even though I was not a Technic builder back in 1980, I really like the tribute to the 8860. I am not sure I would buy a set based on the 8860, but the idea of a C model based on three sets somehow appeals to me. This is the set I am most looking forward to this year.

Andy D

There seem to be a lot of comments about a chassis not being a suitable subject for a Technic set. I'm not sure I agree. I admit I'm old school, that I was there for the release of the first sets in the 70s, but I'm trying to avoid the bias that nostalgia can bring.

Technic, for me, is not supposed to be about pretty models.  It's about representing mechanical principles and how they can be applied. A model with body work displaying perfect lines that hide the mechanics is, although still worthy, somehow detracting from the ethos of Technic.  I currently have the Brunoj Ferrari 458 MOC on display along with the original car chassis 857. The 857 is the one that has been getting more interest from visitors, young and old.  They recognise it as a car and are intrigued that it gives an insight into what is going on "behind the scenes" of something they can all relate to.  These are the same feelings I recall from 40 years ago ... the world may have moved on but, perhaps not so much as we may like to believe.

There is a place for both styles of build so, I applaud the return of the 8860 albeit in a tribute 3 set bonus build.  I think TLG should have been bolder and gone for a full release of a tribute set which displays the core values of Technic.

Just my two penneth...

On 05/02/2017 at 1:27 AM, dhc6twinotter said:

Personally, I think having to manually select functions on an RC set defies the whole purpose of having RC.  

Aside from the adventure bike, nothing in this year's Technic lineup appeals to me.  I'm hoping for some new drivetrain parts in that tow truck though.

It looks like I'll be focusing more on the Creator line this year.

On 06/02/2017 at 2:27 PM, AVCampos said:

I agree, but the 41999 does exactly that with its winch. ;)

yeah! if you want a full rc tow truck you need a automatic winch.. which is impossible, so manual controls is fine for me!

On 05/02/2017 at 2:26 AM, Saberwing40k said:

By the way, what do you mean by new drivetrain parts in the truck? What kind of parts would you want?

stronger cv joints, smaller cv joints, smaller links and arms, stronger diff that takes up less space, new wheel bearings with no play, (read more)...

On 2/7/2017 at 11:29 PM, Boulderer said:

There seem to be a lot of comments about a chassis not being a suitable subject for a Technic set. I'm not sure I agree. I admit I'm old school, that I was there for the release of the first sets in the 70s, but I'm trying to avoid the bias that nostalgia can bring.

Technic, for me, is not supposed to be about pretty models.  It's about representing mechanical principles and how they can be applied. A model with body work displaying perfect lines that hide the mechanics is, although still worthy, somehow detracting from the ethos of Technic.  I currently have the Brunoj Ferrari 458 MOC on display along with the original car chassis 857. The 857 is the one that has been getting more interest from visitors, young and old.  They recognise it as a car and are intrigued that it gives an insight into what is going on "behind the scenes" of something they can all relate to.  These are the same feelings I recall from 40 years ago ... the world may have moved on but, perhaps not so much as we may like to believe.

There is a place for both styles of build so, I applaud the return of the 8860 albeit in a tribute 3 set bonus build.  I think TLG should have been bolder and gone for a full release of a tribute set which displays the core values of Technic.

Just my two penneth...

@Boulderer what you say makes a lot of sense. I also have said that Technic is more about function than "pretty" models, I would have a hard time with the combiner model being it's own set, not sure I would have as much anticipation for it, but maybe I would warm up to it before it was released.

For some reason it being a "C" model of three other models just appealed to me instantly. There are even 2 of the 3 models that I will buy (that I normally would not have any interest to me). I also think that LEGO will sell a lot more of the three required sets, just because people would like to build the "C" model, than they would of the model as it's own set.

From a nostalgic point of view the chassis would be a perfect 40th anniversary set, I'm just not sure how well it would sell.

just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

6 hours ago, Andy D said:

@Boulderer what you say makes a lot of sense. I also have said that Technic is more about function than "pretty" models, I would have a hard time with the combiner model being it's own set, not sure I would have as much anticipation for it, but maybe I would warm up to it before it was released.

For some reason it being a "C" model of three other models just appealed to me instantly. There are even 2 of the 3 models that I will buy (that I normally would not have any interest to me). I also think that LEGO will sell a lot more of the three required sets, just because people would like to build the "C" model, than they would of the model as it's own set.

From a nostalgic point of view the chassis would be a perfect 40th anniversary set, I'm just not sure how well it would sell.

just MHO, YMMV,

Andy D

To hardcore Technic fans, the functionality can certainly be more important than looks. But to newer or prospective fans—kids just growing into the theme, for instance—looks can make a big difference in whether they pick a set up in the first place. It's hard to convey all of a sets functions in a single photo for the purpose of "shelf appeal", and the more complex the functions are, the harder it would be. Add in the fact that only a small percentage of buyers would be able to instantly recognize the pedigree of a revamp like this, and you could potentially wind up with a set that warmed shelves while more "complete-looking" models outsold it. That's certainly not a fate I'd wish on a model like this that's meant to pay homage to the theme's history. Making the car chassis into an online combi model seems like a great move to me, in part because it will be easier to include background information about the original Car Chassis online than it would be on a box on store shelves.

When I have seen the 2017 models I got disappointed.

After thinking about it more I think the reason for this feeling is that I got spoiled as last year was absolutely amazing for me - 2 must have models 42054 Xerion and 42053 Volvo + 2 really cool models which are unfortunately bit too expensive (42056 Porsche) or too big (ofc 42055) ...

And years before  also: 42030, 42043, 42009 (!!!!), 42042..... every year at least one must have amazing model...

This year looks to me as more targeted to younger audience (as 40+ lego geek I tend to enjoy complex gears etc) and this year looks more like Creator-Technic hybrid to me (both 42064 and 42066).

Well will see after review of new Tow Truck if there will be something I really like.... otherwise it will be no Lego this year for me.

When I asked if we knew anything about H2 sets, I did not know that the tow truck and such were the H2 sets.  

I agree with bru7us that this year seems to be more geared toward kids and modelers (build it and put it on a shelf).  

I did not get any sets from last year because they just dis not interest me.  Normally I buy all construction sets, but the pneumatics in the volvo and the bwe could was not what I was expecting.  Reading through this page every year gets my hopes up for awesome sets and then we see the release photos and I loose interest. 

The only set I would consider buying for the parts would be the tow truck, but it comes in a color I rarely would use.  So this year is another no new lego year for me.  

I'm just disappointed that they didn't showcase functions. If that 42069 has a gearbox I'm sure it'll gain a lot of fans.

On 6-2-2017 at 8:00 AM, Bartybum said:

That is a massively shady strategy.

Actually this is a very good strategy and it's for one simple word: Lepin.

The previously mentioned Porsche was indeed shown at the Toy Fair, I think Lepin actually launched their version before Lego did in June. Considering it's mostly a model for show (since the functions are very subpar) that would hurt Lego alot. The market of people (Porsche/Car lovers) Lego tried to pull in with the Porsche besides the AFOLs, would rather buy one from Lepin for 100 bucks than from Lego for triple the money.

So perhaps Lego is now learning it can't show their most precious sets too far in advance (like this 5 months in advance that was the norm the past years), because you have companies like Lepin that haven't heard of copyright infringement.

edit: lack of showing functions could also be because of Lepin, can't make it too easy for them to copy.

Edited by Appie

For sure, Lepin simply stole months of design and product development and put a replica in the market under half of the price, before Lego. It's hard to face. 

On 2/3/2017 at 7:17 AM, Richard Dower said:

42068 really is a beauty!...thanks for the pics!

Yes....i love 42068 .....i don't like too much 42069 and 42070.....

Say what you will, but I think the hybrid gearbox in 42070 is ingenious, because it solves multiple problems at the same time:

- For RC models, the number of functions often depends on the number of motors, as evidenced by the most recent ones 8275, 9398, 42030, 42065. The 8043 is an exception because it has 6 functions with only 4 motors, but the general rule still holds. And since PF components are more costly than other components, having too many of them will drive the cost up. Now this 42070 is also a RC but has 6 functions with only 2 motors. That to me is a revolution.

- The multi-directional gearbox might be more intuitive to use, but it also takes up more space. With the traditional multi-functional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 2 functions. With the multi-directional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 1 functions. Now this 42070 has 4 non-movement functions (outriggers, swiveling, raising arms, winch), and how many switch does it have for them? 1 switch (excluding the other mode-controlling switch). By leaving the task of changing directions to the remote control, the gearbox takes up much much less space. That to me is a revolution. I expect to see more of this implementation in the future.

- This model to me is not a RC set with 4 additional functions, it's a usual 4-function set with additional RC driving and steering. And that makes all the difference. Because whenever I show my models and their functions to my friends, the first thing they'd often ask is "is it RC driveable". When I say "No, but it has these cool functions" their enthusiasm falters a bit. But for this one I'll be able to say "Yes yes it totally does too".

On another note, am I the only one who has been waiting for a flagship that is not designed by either Markus or Uwe?

10 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Say what you will, but I think the hybrid gearbox in 42070 is ingenious, because it solves multiple problems at the same time:

- For RC models, the number of functions often depends on the number of motors, as evidenced by the most recent ones 8275, 9398, 42030, 42065. The 8043 is an exception because it has 6 functions with only 4 motors, but the general rule still holds. And since PF components are more costly than other components, having too many of them will drive the cost up. Now this 42070 is also a RC but has 6 functions with only 2 motors. That to me is a revolution.

- The multi-directional gearbox might be more intuitive to use, but it also takes up more space. With the traditional multi-functional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 2 functions. With the multi-directional gearbox, 1 switch corresponds to 1 functions. Now this 42070 has 4 non-movement functions (outriggers, swiveling, raising arms, winch), and how many switch does it have for them? 1 switch (excluding the other mode-controlling switch). By leaving the task of changing directions to the remote control, the gearbox takes up much much less space. That to me is a revolution. I expect to see more of this implementation in the future.

- This model to me is not a RC set with 4 additional functions, it's a usual 4-function set with additional RC driving and steering. And that makes all the difference. Because whenever I show my models and their functions to my friends, the first thing they'd often ask is "is it RC driveable". When I say "No, but it has these cool functions" their enthusiasm falters a bit. But for this one I'll be able to say "Yes yes it totally does too".

On another note, am I the only one who has been waiting for a flagship that is not designed by either Markus or Uwe?

Nice observations on the 42070!

Funnily enough, Kossman and Wabra might SEEM to be the only designers behind the mighty flagships, but Aurelien Rouffiange designed the 42055-B aggregate plant, and the CLAAS and Volvo of last year, flagships in their own right, were designed by Michael Jeppesen and Olav Kroigaard. 

The 2008 flagship is somewhat of an odd matter; the 8296 off roader was designed by Wabra along with Natanael Kuipers and Lars Krogh Jensen, but the 8295 telehandler by Alfred Pedersen could also be the flagship for that year, according to Blakbird on Technicopedia, possibly due to its larger part count.

Also, the 8043 excavator, 2010's flagship, was designed by Anders Gaesedal Christensen, and Jeppe Juul Jensen designed the 9398 crawler in 2012. That's pretty much it, though!

I agree 42070 is revolutionary! It's just a great set. Compare it to 8258, 8110, 42009... 

It will be one of my favorites along with 42042 and 8043.  

15 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I seem to recall a Pipasseyoyo crane truck with a similar switching gearbox - all the drive functions were on one toggle and the crane functions were on the other toggle, albeit in Pip's MOC there was a 4th (?) motor just to switch the 'box. If 42070 can replicate that gearbox in some way then I will also be eagerly looking towards its release.

Edit - Here it is.

Edited by Jay Psi

I build my version of the gearbox for 42070.
It is almost the version of Saberwing40k , but than without drivingring extensions.

640x327.jpg640x327.jpg

Lightgreen: steering
Green: driving
Purple: driving other 4 functions
red/darkred and yellow/orange: other 4 functions

15 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Here's a video about 42066 B model Private Jet. The rear part looks crude.

I agree. 

42066 A model looks like an F-14 Tomcat with F-35 functionalities

On 2/8/2017 at 2:29 PM, Boulderer said:

I totally second this! I am biased here as I own the 8860 and it remains one of my favorite sets just because it was beyond amazing at the time I got it and it still is fun to build and play with... It is a really nice gesture and a very much appreciated nod to older fans to bring it back somehow. I also wish they did more of the models combos, that is a very nice way to give new breathing life to smaller sets. Personally, I was only going to buy the 42061 Telehandler but now that I've seen this, I am totally going for 42057 and 42063 as well! Nice move Lego! And rest assured you will also get my money if you release a fully updated remake of the 8860! So don't be shy.

As for the rest, I am surprised at the color scheme of 42069 but it already grew on me since I first saw it (that was yesterday). I didn't want to buy 42038 as it didn't feel interesting to me but then I somehow did and I must admit I found the build surprisingly fun and interesting and the model does look good. So I wouldn't discount 42069 already.

I think 42070 makes a (very) nice set as well but I somehow doubt that this will be the definitive flagship for 2017. Not at 1862 pcs. Not after 42054, 42055 and 42056! There has to be more in store... and I certainly wish the "Ultimate" series was only getting started last year.