The 40th anniversary set is a quick money-grab, as simple as that. Why else wouldn't TLG release it as its own set? But oh well, at least TLG helps me saving money this year. I might get the Volvo EW160 now instead :) I hope next year the focus for the flagship modelĀ is on complexity again and not this rc crap that doesn't even work properly! And maybe we get a proper ultimate set in 2018. The Porsche was far from ultimate.

I suspect the "NewGen" 8860 is an idea born comparatively late in the development of this year's range, as a 40th anniversary isn't as "big" a number as a 10th, 25th, or 50th anniversary. Probably the Technic team only intended to do the commemorative 3L beam, but as they saw fans' expectations, they probably decided to take existing sets from the year's range and build an homage model from their parts. If so, IMHO that was a nice gesture.

37 minutes ago, Emmi said:

this rc crap that doesn't even work properly!

How do you know the 42070 doesn't work properly?

I think a line of a legendary Technic models in modern look and 1:1 scale (using recent parts) would be great celebration.

Edited by KLF

I think the fact that 2H sets this year are underwhelming because of the part count of the 42070. The flagship is supposed to have the largest part count of that year, and the 42070 only has 1800 pcs. And I think largeĀ RC models can't have part count go past 2000, because that would drive the cost up.Ā 

2 hours ago, Emmi said:

The 40th anniversary set is a quick money-grab, as simple as that. Why else wouldn't TLG release it as its own set? But oh well, at least TLG helps me saving money this year. I might get the Volvo EW160 now instead :) I hope next year the focus for the flagship modelĀ is on complexity again and not this rc crap that doesn't even work properly! And maybe we get a proper ultimate set in 2018. The Porsche was far from ultimate.

These kind of comments belong on Facebook and not here on Eurobricks. Moneygrab? It's combining three sets into a homage set. How is that a money-grab?Ā Furthermore, you are saying that this "rc crap" doesn't even function properly, while you haven't even seen a video of the model, or seen in it real life. Bear in mind that we are still talking (childeren's) toys here. You have your rights to be disappointed, like the majority in this discussion. But please refrain from posting immature negative comments without providing proper arguments. You can do that elsewhere, not here.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

I suspect the "NewGen" 8860 is an idea born comparatively late in the development of this year's range, as a 40th anniversary isn't as "big" a number as a 10th, 25th, or 50th anniversary. Probably the Technic team only intended to do the commemorative 3L beam, but as they saw fans' expectations, they probably decided to take existing sets from the year's range and build an homage model from their parts. If so, IMHO that was a nice gesture.

Exactly.

44 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

I think the fact that 2H sets this year are underwhelming because of the part count of the 42070. The flagship is supposed to have the largest part count of that year, and the 42070 only has 1800 pcs. And I think largeĀ RC models can't have part count go past 2000, because that would drive the cost up.Ā 

Would it, though? Look at BWE; as per Brickset it has a ppp around 6 cents. Most of the parts that add compexity tend to be small (not panels or large beams, mostly gears, pins, small beams) so I think that ppp is fair. So If I have a choice between a 1800pcs RC flagship at 220$ or a 2400pcs RC flagship at 260$, I would gladly pay the latter.

Just now, Jim said:

Moneygrab? It's combining three sets into a homage set. How is that a money-grab?Ā 

People interested in the original model will be in the vast majority AFOLs. The same AFOLs who prefer complexity and in general larger sets to the smaller sets which are aimed more at children. So making an homage set that uses half the parts of three smaller sets feels as though it is done so that AFOLs have another reason to purchase a product they otherwise might not buy.

If they wanted to pay proper tribute to the original model, they could just release it separately.

For me it's more about the building experience rather than the colour/NĀŗ of functions/how many motors it comes with, etc so I will most likely end buying one of each, and depending on the 'B' models, possibly two.

As for the homage setĀ I will definitely be building this as it was the 8860 set that first got me into Technic all those years ago, in the meantime I shall be building my original 8860 just for the pleasure of it.

I don't think this 1800 RC is gonna be 220$. BWE is already 280$ and 230 EUR, and the 42070's MSRP in EUR is already 250 EUR. I think the 42070's MSRP in USĀ will be 290$.

As far as I understand LEGO will be offering "merge" car as an instructions download for FREE, not as standalone set/box of parts.Ā 

Ā 

I'm really getting tired of the negative vibe on some of the topics and reactions here. Despite the best efforts of Jim, with each wave of (Technic) sets the same routine is followed: unrealistic wishlists, continuous "are we there yet" type of questions about leaked pictures, overhyped expectations based on these preliminary pictures and wishes and then the whining and rants about the inevitable disappointment.

In my opinion TLG never listened better to AFOLs or did more to cater to our needs and wishes than it does the last years. Many of us have experienced the Technic Dark Ages and what a contrast to that era it is now: 2016 was one of the best years ever for Technic and we are spoiled with extras such as the Porsche and this chassis. Be a bit more grateful, that would be a nice gesture from the community for a change.

I think I will take a break from Eurobricks for a while, there is enough negativity in the world as it is.

2 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

In my opinion TLG never listened better to AFOLs or did more to cater to our needs and wishes than it does the last years. Many of us have experienced the Technic Dark Ages and what a contrast to that era it is now: 2016 was one of the best years ever for Technic and we are spoiled with extras such as the Porsche and this chassis. Be a bit more grateful, that would be a nice gesture from the community for a change.

Amen brother. We have been getting new awesome parts, parts in new colors, new tires, etc, etc, etc. The only "mistake" TLG made is making 2016 freakishly awesome. That's hard to top. I must admit that I find the 2017 sets underwhelming myself, but that doesn't mean that I need to be negative over and over again. I agree that our stance towards TLG should definitely be more positive.Ā 

Or maybe we can just wait until 2018 when there are a successor for the Porsche and a non-RC flagship with a higher part count, a lower price, and a more functionally complex design. I don't know what you guys think but I've always thought that the successor of the Porsche will not be 1 year right behind it.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Ā 

30 minutes ago, Huaojozu said:

If they wanted to pay proper tribute to the original model, they could just release it separately.

Lets be realistic here. A car chassis set is a somehow unfinished model. It wouldn't fit into the current technic range. EveryĀ parent or child standing in a toy shop would choose any other set because they simply look better. I'm sure LEGO never even considered releasing the combined model as a separate set. Only reaching those AFOLs with a fond memory of the original car chassis set is a very small target group for a product.Ā And that's why it's more than nice that they still took the effort to make the instructions for this updated version!Ā And those of us who want a permanent build of it for their collectionĀ probably have enough spare parts or know how to bricklinkĀ them anyway.

5 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

Or maybe we can just wait until 2018 when there are a successor for the Porsche and a non-RC flagship with a higher part count, a lower price, and a more functionally complex design. I don't know what you guys think but I've always thought that the successor of the Porsche will not be 1 year right behind it.

I agree with you that the successor of the Porsche will not be 1 year right behind it, butĀ  not the fact that it will be in 2018. It is very likely that it will be 2019 or 2020.

Ā 

4 minutes ago, Nequmodiva said:

Ā A car chassis set is a somehow unfinished model. It wouldn't fit into the current technic range. EveryĀ parent or child standing in a toy shop would choose any other set because they simply look better. I'm sure LEGO never even considered releasing the combined model as a separate set.

I agree. This trend is pleased. I would like, thatĀ similar combineĀ fromĀ several sets was more and in the future.

I wouldn't buy the car chassis as a set, it isn't really appealing. I think it's fine as a combination model.Ā 

36 minutes ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I'm really getting tired of the negative vibe on some of the topics and reactions here. Despite the best efforts of Jim, with each wave of (Technic) sets the same routine is followed: unrealistic wishlists, continuous "are we there yet" type of questions about leaked pictures, overhyped expectations based on these preliminary pictures and wishes and then the whining and rants about the inevitable disappointment.

I think I will take a break from Eurobricks for a while, there is enough negativity in the world as it is.

That's one of the reasons I'm not really active as I use to be too... I for one like the truck, even though it only has pendular suspension in the back, it will be a great parts pack for offroading and its a spiritual ancestor of 9398.

Every great band is allowed a bad album. After the last two great years TLG is allowed a bad year, but that doesn't mean we can't keep the designers on their toesĀ :grin:Ā .Ā 

4 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I agree with you words! There is no need to negativity.

Edited by evortigosa

2 hours ago, LXF said:

I wouldn't buy the car chassis as a set, it isn't really appealing. I think it's fine as a combination model.Ā 

I think it would have been awesome if Lego made a special 40th anniversary set of one of the classic models using new parts. That 3 set combination model doesn't seem very appealing to me. The seats are especially goofy looking.

I was also sort of let (or maybe I was expecting too much) downĀ by H2 sets for 2017 (although I really like the fire truck, with note, that I was hoping for different kind of firetruck with telescopic ladder - as I said before "red pneumatic 42009"), and neither 42069 nor 42070 are according my taste, but declining whole season as "bad" or so, is unfair to LEGO. Especially when nobody has even seen properly H2 2017 sets yet.Ā 

They can't cater for everyone all the time (I personally do not care much about cars - but most of you do) but there is variety like never before (from recent years, from top of my head,includes mining machines, agriculture machines, trucks, planes, ship, construction machines, racing cars, cranes, anything you can think of (maybe railroad stuff is missing).

"40y merge" car is offered for free (correct me if I am wrong) - what was the last time you got something for free (why should you)? Isn't that kind of generous? (hint: it is) Prices are steep (IMO) and trend is rising (IMO),Ā but with little bit of patience, one can usually find good deal later. Plus profit is not a dirty word.Ā 

3 hours ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I did that for a while a few years ago. Ā It seemed like every thread was a whine about PF and LAs. Ā A break was good. Ā But...Eurobricks is mostly great, easily the best Lego forum IMHO (unless you really like the sledging on Flickr AFOL groups) :grin:Ā  ButĀ annual rumours thread reliably attracts...quite special behaviour :classic:Ā 

Edited by andythenorth

Well, I wasn't expecting anything particular for this year, but the sets don't appeal me. Last years BWE and Porsche didn't either. The only two sets that grabbed me attention āš  where the Claas Xerion and Volvo EW160E, this is because they are agricultural and construction equipment, that's what makes me tick. So this year I'll maybe get the Volvo and further build my Backhoe. So I'm not saying this year's sets are bad, they just don't interest me.

Edited by Dafgek81

The problem is, releasing too many new parts detracts hat Technic and indeed LEGO is about, its about building a part of a modem, or of parts. and sometimes with large models its about building a part of a part of a modem, out of parts. Sometimes they release specical parts when something is perhaps too small, finley detailed or too specialized of purpose to be done using pre-existing parts. This sometimes means the model is larger than yu were planning because a certain function needs more parts rather than fewer more specicalised parts so that is a good reason to request newer parts, as long as they actually are needed and not just wanted.

I also know that the new sets are not as advanced as say the Arocs, or bucket wheel excavator but maybe we've been spoiled and now they sort of need to make simpler new sets to reduce their costs for a little while.

The sets are not that bad for 2017 though, I don't even think I've fully made use of the newer [arts as it is!, which is another important reasn why its good not to have too many new parts - Because it doesnt teach you t think in a geometric way, which is what LEGO is about.

Can anyone give any insight to if that purple tracked truck has front suspention and/or inner-tracks sprinfgs as the main shock

absorbers..

On 1/2/2017 at 0:59 PM, kbalage said:

Might be a noob question, but what are those shock absorber-like parts under the wheel arches? Definitely not the regular size of the usual ones.. are they imitations or placeholders?

this part in metallic silverĀ  http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=55981&colorID=67&in=A

55981.jpg

or this part in flat silver: http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=55982&colorID=95&in=A

Ā 

55982.jpg?1

Edited by Richard Dower