3 hours ago, AVCampos said:

It most definitely looks like medium azure instead, like last year's dragster and this year's pullback truck.

Dragster looks brighter to me... 

Close up video, go to 45"

Two points:

1) Those prices are ABSURD. I might have considered buying the sets just because I am a completionist but at those prices? Forget it. The most expensive parts - PF - I already have and I think I can bricklink the rest.

2) That's not 42050 Azure, which makes it doubly disappointing as I quite like that color.

4 minutes ago, efferman said:

This partcount and the price of 42070 let me think they hide informations to avoid to fast copies from chinese copyfactorys. 

I was about to whine about the garish line-up when suddenly I realized what is really happening here. It must be an elaborate ploy to bankrupt all these copycats. Showing some models that can be copied and then announce in July the real line-up:tongue:

Joking aside, the last two-three years are starting to remind me of the 2000's. Unclear direction in the designs (a tracked jeep?? A bigfoot truck with a thin crane??), weird colours that dilute the parts palette (I know some people start to think about purple Porsches, but seriously, with only 3 panels and 2 beams in purple it just will never happen). It is already difficult to design in orange (no #5 / #6 panels) which has most parts available in reasonable quantities.

It is a very mixed quality that we are getting. Last year we got the arguably best LEGO Technic set ever and now we get this line-up?? It does not feel consistent at all...

Hmm, I have mixed feeling about this year sets. The Tow Truck is nice and different, maybe a little too big for my taste but a nice set overall (I would have preferred a re-release of 8285 tow truck with better functions, but I do not think that is a popular opinion). As for the other two sets, they are ok. Maybe after seeing some reviews in the summer my opinion will change.

21 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

Ok, watching this video I must say... 42070 has a really nice cabin, but the rear part is poorly finished :/

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted video.

Well this tow truck is utterly rubish, few parts, childish looking and high price.42069 almost same scenario.

Well this 2H is like made by chinese copycats not by designers that make 2016 lineup.I probably skip this anniversary year and buy volvo from last year.

4 minutes ago, evortigosa said:

Ok, watching this video I must say... 42070 has a really nice cabin, but the rear part is poorly finished :/

No kidding...

BH0g6GT.jpg

Edited by Huaojozu

Tow truck is cool.  My kids want it.  If it's really €280, it's not happening, but let's wait for retail pricing? :wink:

Purple thing is 'eh?'.  Probably really fun to actually build and play, but the concept is definitely 'eh?'.

Fire truck: being mean, it's 'pointless rescue truck' again from 2003, kind of a Technic low point :wink: http://brickset.com/sets/8454-1/Rescue-Truck

2017 is not a bumper Technic year, although I think the small sets are thoughtful and well designed and affordable (and my kids want them, so clearly appealing).  

Honest feeling?  It's genuinely nice to have a break from compelling sets, there is already way too much Technic in this house.  Sounds weird, but there it is.

Red dog bone though :wink:  I build a lot of red.  Dog bone is nice to add.  Can we have the other recent angle connectors in red too? :tongue:

Edited by andythenorth

2 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Red dog bone though :wink:  I build a lot of red.  Dog bone is nice to add.  Can we have the other recent angle connectors in red too? :tongue:

Red isn't guaranteed, the box has it LBG, the normal colour instead of red, it isn't finalized

23 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

Dragster looks brighter to me... 

Close up video, go to 45"

It does seem to look like medium blue which I would prefer over azure.  I believe early images made it look like medium azure.  If it is medium blue, its too bad they didn't make a #21/#22 panel/

The pictures and videos have confirmed my initial thoughts: I cannot see me buying any of the 2017 Technic sets. I have nearly all the Technic flagship sets and would characterise myself as an obsessive collectionneur, but no thanks! Really disappointing ... On top of that the mentioned prices seem outrageous to me. Luckily enough I still have a great list of MOCs to build. Let's hope 2017 is just an off year and not a structural direction Lego is taking with Lego Technic!

1 hour ago, nguyengiangoc said:

- Pendular suspensions for rear wheels, with 4 28z turntables. It looks cheaper than the rear suspension in the Arocs -_-

I'm hoping it has the same kind of cool unsprung suspension as Designer Han's 6x6 hauler.

17 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

Fire truck: being mean, it's 'pointless rescue truck' again from 2003, kind of a Technic low point :wink: http://brickset.com/sets/8454-1/Rescue-Truck

The firetruck shares very strong DNA from 8454.  They would look quite similar sitting together.

I've got a closer look at the stickers near the Bionicle teeth and these are what I made out:

- Left knob for M motor, right knob for XL motor
- Front tooth, lower sticker: steer for M motor, drive for XL motor
- Back tooth, upper sticker: winch for M motor, swivel for XL motor
- Back tooth, lower sticker: sided outriggers for XL motor.

yes, the tow truck is expensive, but why make such a mean looking truck, and then put the naff crane from the Claas on the back of it?

my thoughts:

42070 - I want normal blue (just like 42042), I would be happier if Lego existed in 8 colours and "any" bricks and part can be found in each of them. I do not need 5 or 7 kind of blue, 4 kinds of brown etc. Same applies to system bricks.

I might be alone who think this but: "it is too big!" Too large for kids, too large for shelf, it will occupy half of the table. It is too big! (I live in a huge house, with lots of rooms and big rooms, but still, it is too big). 

front lights look ugly. It looks (judging by the videos) hollow. 

and if that price is real, I am not willing to pay it. I make money, but can pay it, but I just will not. That is too much.

42069 - I do not want that. No appeal. regardless the price, functions, colours, I would not want to build that, nor have that. "Just ignore it" kind of thing. If someone asks me what I think about it, the answer would have to be: "nothing". no emotion, no like, no nothing. 

Firetruck - I like that one. but...same as with ship (which should have been fishing trawler with reel, arm, ropes, reels etc. and is Boaty McFloatface with cute styling but few functions) this should have been inspired (instead of airport firetruck) by this:

fire-engine-ladder-full.jpg

Kind of pneumatic red 42009

Well, I am still missing some sets from recent years that I want, I did not get yet, so this is chance to catch up.

BTW: star of the show is LEGO City Bus stop for me. so the best one for me is mid-size city set. well....whatever. At least something :wink: 

Edited by J_C

I must say I'm a bit disappointed. The fire truck seems like a nice set, but I don't like how it looks (I don't like how the real thing looks either, so it might be for that reson). 

I'm not a big fan at all of 42069, I don't know how it works, but the color scheme is really bad in my opinion. I have looked forward to see the Porsche fender panels in other colors than orange. Black, read or white would be very useful, but purple... why? There are probably 20 technic parts made in purple which makes them pretty useless.

I'm very happy to see that the Tow Truck seems to have medium blue parts instead of azure, as it looked liked in the prelim. pictures. I think the azure color is quite ugly, and the medium blue looks way better. This makes me more likely to buy the Tow Truck, even though I'm not a big fan of RC flagships because of their low complexity and high price. 

The functionality might be great for all three sets, but the looks are what disappoint me. None of the sets look really good in my opinion, at least not compared to some other sets we've seen recently, like the CLAAS or the Race Jet for example.

8 minutes ago, deehtha said:

Does 42070 have 6 of the curved 3x13 in black, above the wheels?

yup

btw it must be jet and hotrod blue unfortuatly as the dragster doesnt match :(  i wish it was 42050 blue :(

Edited by legotechnicisawesome

Much like many others, this wave seems quite bizarre to me. The upside to this is that I'll have more money to spend on other themes. 42069 looks ugly and 42070 is far too big and clunky as an RC set. 42068 looks fine, but isn't too inspiring either.

Unfortunately, our reference point is 2016, which was one of the most significant for Technic, and these models are especially poor. 

13 minutes ago, HallBricks said:

I must say I'm a bit disappointed. The fire truck seems like a nice set, but I don't like how it looks (I don't like how the real thing looks either, so it might be for that reson). 

I'm not a big fan at all of 42069, I don't know how it works, but the color scheme is really bad in my opinion. I have looked forward to see the Porsche fender panels in other colors than orange. Black, read or white would be very useful, but purple... why? There are probably 20 technic parts made in purple which makes them pretty useless.

I'm very happy to see that the Tow Truck seems to have medium blue parts instead of azure, as it looked liked in the prelim. pictures. I think the azure color is quite ugly, and the medium blue looks way better. This makes me more likely to buy the Tow Truck, even though I'm not a big fan of RC flagships because of their low complexity and high price. 

The functionality might be great for all three sets, but the looks are what disappoint me. None of the sets look really good in my opinion, at least not compared to some other sets we've seen recently, like the CLAAS or the Race Jet for example.

It does look like medium blue, but a quick scan doesn't show any new elements compared to the air-jet except for the 3x11 flat panel and the 4x2 liftarm

1 minute ago, randomwalk said:

Much like many others, this wave seems quite bizarre to me. The upside to this is that I'll have more money to spend on other themes. 42069 looks ugly and 42070 is far too big and clunky as an RC set. 42068 looks fine, but isn't too inspiring either.

Unfortunately, our reference point is 2016, which was one of the most significant for Technic, and these models are especially poor. 

Compare it to 2015 also - 42043 beats 42070 into the dust with it's crane, while 42042 picks up 42069 and throws it into the garbage. Then you have 42039 and 42040 as quite appealing smaller sets and there is just no contest. 

Maaaybe it doesn't look too bad compared to 2014; but still the flagships cannot be compared in my opinion. It's just that the rest (apart from 42025) weren't too spectacular.

In the end, it's really the stellar lineup of the last two years that makes 2017 look especially poor.