I checked this pic and the live model is missing a few yellow pieces on the hood and on the roof! There are also no stickers and the antennas are mounted in a different position.

TLG displayed a slightly different model (but the one on the box looks better, IMHO)

Edited by Like a Rolling Brick
Typo

Just now, Offroadcreat1ons said:

Yes, but I was talking about the tracked set. :wink: But the 42070 set and box are the same, as you said.

Oh maybe I quoted wrong person then lol  Someone mentioned the dogbone (I-beam) being red and LBG.

The fact that the packaging doesn't match the model is not something unusual. Last year the box for the BWE wasn't finalized at the toy fair.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

2 hours ago, Like a Rolling Brick said:

I checked this pic and the live model is missing a few yellow pieces on the hood and on the roof! There are also no stickers and the antennas are mounted in a different position.

TLG displayed a slightly different model (but the one on the box looks better, IMHO)

...And the bullbar and the lights are completely different

Edited by Milan
Removed quoted image from previous post.

I... actually like the all-terrain tow truck. It's big, with chunky tractor tires, and it looks like a proper workhorse that gives screw-all to anything and can get your car hitched out of a ravine quickly. Has this Dakar support truck feel to it. Functions check out. Could have been colored better, but eh, that's easy to remedy.

Also liking the tracked jeep now, as well as the not-mythical-anymore airport fire truck. As I said in the City reveals, the sets aren't mediocre, but not really earth-shattering.

9 minutes ago, legotechnicisawesome said:

this doesn't seem right, where is the model which has more parts than last years big model?! :(

Internal TLG conversations:

- And what do we say to Technic fans about models that surpass last year's flagship? Not this year.

And the front of the 42068 says Airport Rescue. So its official name may not be "Fire Rescue Vehicle" as leaked.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Now imagine that - 42069 + tires from i.e. 42029 = million times better look!!! 

I can am pretty sure that Sariel in his review will add the "normal" wheels to it as he did with 42038 ....

28 minutes ago, vectormatic said:

Ill probably see about bricklinking it, buying a second 42057 doesnt faze me, and the loader might be an economic parts pack for the car chassis, but a second BMW.... nah..

Those three sets add up to €100+, im not seeing that amount of parts in the car chassis, especially since there doesnt seems to be a gearbox or anything

Thinking of doing exactly the same. I assume the instructions will be online

Both the sets and my predictions seem dissapointing :cry_sad:. I'll hope there's a technical wonder hidden in one of these three.

Also, I was righ about a car chassis, although not as a C-model.

I am sad because I put high hopes on 40 years of Technic :(...
For the first time since 2013, I probably will not buy any Technic set this year :(.

Color scheme:
I don't like the color scheme of the supposedly flagship 42070 and 42069...
Unlike some of us in this forum, I don't like having small amount of parts in rare colors because I will have too many color vomit when I try to build other sets (that I cannot buy, as my budget is limited to buying 2-3 big flagships/year -- wife rule).
So I am actually hoping for something big that either red/white... or orange (because of 42056).

Function wise:
42069 does not look like it is RC and I have 42038 set... that 4 tracked wheels won't likely drive/steer well on flat surface that have minimum friction like my house floor (I already tried it with 42038).
42069 SHOULD have something like the RC tracked racer 42064 (that I built using 42055 BWE bag 1-2 parts + PF parts from other sets :O).
That one works (very well) as the tracks are driven by motor.
I see HOG on top of 42069, so likely it is meant to be played like 42038... manual... :(

42070 seems to have lots of PF functions.
I already have 9398 so all terrain drive is not that new anymore.
The red crane functions seems to be up/down, rotate left/right, and winch... it has appeared many times before: 42008 has it (but no rotate), 42009 has it, 42038 simple crane has it.
Outrigger system. Again looks standard with many tried versions in the past: 42009 outriggers (2 mode), 42043 outrigger (only extend, manual second step), etc.

Is it because I have so many prior Technic flagships and sets between 2013-2016 (and especially last year's 42054-42055-42056) that I don't feel this year's version that attractive anymore :(.... law of diminishing return perhaps?

For the 3 sets-combined-into car chassis, I have built Paul Boratko's recent version of 8860 http://www.bricksafe.com/pages/Crowkillers/8860-revival.
I agree that it is a very nice set for 40th anniversary but since I already have enough ~95% parts to build that (based on 42057/61/63 parts list), I will not likely buy the 3 separate small sets either and will just hunt for building instruction for it when it is available...

If there is no hidden 42067 or secret 42071... year 2017 will be the year I switch to Modular Building (on its 10th anniversary) as I am considering to switch from All Technic since 2013 to buy 10255 Assembly Square (or maybe older modulars) in 2017 :O.

I will wait for video or better photos, but it looks like I skip technic this year but creator for 2H looks awesome.

Hm, I thought the tracked buggy was purple with yellow. Apparently, it's not. It's black and gray, with a few colored elements. Really, why is it that colored parts are delibrately rare? Can't they make a purple model that is as purple as 42049 is yellow? Is this deliberately mocking AFOLs?

The 42070 looks slightly better in that regard (but still, I bet it has many more red parts than azure (not counting axles and such), even though azure is presented as "the color" for this model), but what surprises me there is the low part count at about 1800. It's much fewer parts than the Claas, for a larger model. That doesn't give very high hopes... But knowing myself, I might get it.

The firetruck looks like a decent set and might be the best all-round model out of the three. But I might not get it because of the bland color scheme - I have plenty of white and red already. But good to see a fire truck in the lineup.

Loving the new truck 42070. Is it Medium-Blue as the 42036 Street bike? Interesting: this shade of blue matches only with red & black (to see color vomit look at chasis 42037 next to lime). At least we get lots of panels

This one seems 70 cm long, Arocs was 55cm. This one includes 2 motors & remote control and the former got hand-operated pneumatics.

I do not get why that Arocs was praised as a great flagship and this one is not; too many trucks in the latest years? Porsche-like expectations?

3 minutes ago, bitbamboo said:

Loving the new truck 42070. Is it Medium-Blue as the 42036 Street bike?

It most definitely looks like medium azure instead, like last year's dragster and this year's pullback truck.

And those headlights using BMW windscreens still look weird!

Hmmm, I like the creativity of all of them. 42069 looks interesting, but I want to know what's inside. The purple is great.

I guess they might all be interesting to me if pricing is good. 

I got it (just my speculation):

- One tooth switch between drive mode and crane mode. The idea is that the user can't move and deploy outriggers at the same time. In the drive mode the XL motor drives and the M motor steers. And this tooth is probably the tooth facing the outward on the box, because the hand is use the remote control but this tooth isn't in the right position.

- Once the mode-controlling tooth switch to crane mode, the tooth on the other hand switches between
+ Outriggers: The XL motor deploys all 4 outriggers and the M motor swivels the crane to find the suitable position.
+ Crane: The M motor lowers the winch and the XL motor lift the whole crane through the LA.

Sounds like a perfect user story, from a designer's perspective.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

Okay, since lots of other people have given comprehensive responses to today's scintillating news, I'll chip in with my own brief assessment!

42068 - bit dull, maybe something to buy if bored.

42069 - aargh, no! It does look like something out of Ski Region Simulator and I see the idea behind it, but... aargh, no!

42070 - now this is more like it! Love the sticker motif, the teddy and the Claas tyres! Also noticed the UW on the front grill - Uwe Wabra?

9 minutes ago, efferman said:

@nguyengiangoc Is this a speculation or a information from a human which has its hands on?

Just my speculation.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

So far these sets look depressingly uninteresting. I can't help but wonder what the hell happened that led to this years second half amounting to:

42070: I see nothing of mechanical interest, no new parts, nothing to indicate any mechanical authenticity, lots of baby blue which looks good on.....absolutely nothing (as proven by every other baby blue set, all of those sets would have looked better in a different colour), a wimpy crane that looks as if it was thrown together in a few hours as a proof of concept and that has less functionality and authenticity than a bajillion canes that have come before it, and a piece count that, compared to the huge size of the model makes me suspect that it's mostly empty without any hidden wonders that I may have missed.. And this is the flagship?  

42069: Ok, now they are taking the........these Porsche wheel arches are a great new piece from last year, but you can't do much with them being orange (black, red or dark blue would have been much better for most things), so they release them again...IN PURPLE!!! What's the point of that? Nothing looks good in purple and there aren't many parts in the technic parts assortment in that colour anyway (thank God!), and while 42069 is ugly enough, that colour scheme makes it even worse. But of course Technic is about functionality over looks, but I can't see anything interesting here in that regard either. I guess it steers, maybe drives a fake engine and suspension. Those are just the essential basics for a model this type/size/part count. 

42068: Last years first half reject, it has a crane moved by a bunch of gears and steering and probably an engine, and looks kinda boring. Nothing else really to say.

Come on guys, what happened? 2015s 42042 was amazing and 42043 was one of, if not the best flagship ever and, despite the different direction I would have liked to have seen with the Porsche (different colour, less spent on fancy hand packaging and more spent on new transmission parts) last years second half was also quite impressive overall. Did they call it quits early this year to give the designers more time to work on an awesome 2018 line up? 

2 hours ago, nguyengiangoc said:

16123656_1098758626914231_11776454580764

42070 looks like a Russian Cold War-era militar truck. It's huge and ugly, as this kind of truck is.

When I saw the first images of the box, I don't liked the blue-tone, but looking to the real model, it's really beautiful. Now I love it, stickers are nice...

I don't know if it's a must buy, 'cause truck is cool, but the winch is totally unfinished, doesn't fit in a massive truck for sure...

I am only pretty sure that: more Claas tires on the market! My mods are saying thanks!

1 hour ago, allanp said:

a wimpy crane that looks as if it was thrown together in a few hours as a proof of concept and that has less functionality and authenticity than a bajillion canes that have come before it

I don't agree with this part though. Compared with those in military tow trucks which have the same look and functions, the crane look just right. It's true that the crane is not telescopic, but cranes in military tow trucks generally look wimpy. I think the designer draws inspiration from these. And the baby blue is there probably to prevent resemblance to any military tow trucks. 

9c7c7a805f7bca730a08b939a4521010.jpg

78032cdbf58ee701caa0939376d106f3.jpg

I think this Tow Truck and the Jet represent a decrease in reluctance from TLG when it comes to making sets based on military vehicles. They just need to dress them and name them differently.

Edited by nguyengiangoc