Well, on PLUG exhibitions we have a "trial" course for people to drive our 9398 in, and the crowds love it; so I definitely wouldn't really call it the worst set of the millennium... Sure, there are better sets, but there are worse ones, besides those I mentioned. But anyway, this thread is for the discussion of 2017 sets, so I'll end my digression.

Could someone PM me the images please? Or at least tell me where to find them?

Thank you in advance.

Let's Build!

I like the teddy bear on the front, but that blue looks weird on the vehicle. I wish they would bring back the old metal hook (good job I have a spare)

Edited by ctx1769

8433 and poly bags are not (and not priced as) flagships. For a flagship set 9398 had very little to offer IMHO. All of it's complexity was contained in it's axles, it's fat, chubby unrealistic axles with gears all over the place. That would be fine if it was a first half set, not meant to be anything other than something with good playability for younger Technic builders to play with. But IMO a flagship should be far more than that. The flagship being the biggest and most expensive set of the year and being aimed at older Technic builders should offer new levels of mechanical authenticity and the new parts required to do so. The more I look at 42070 (and I could be wrong) the more I think it is a very large and expensive arrangement of Technic pieces without much in the way of mechanical interest and authenticity to justify it's size and price. A set with so little mechanical intrigue would surely be better made with "regular" Lego, like this size with the same tires but in a model team style. But like I say, I could be wrong. We don't yet know what mechanical marvels (or lack thereof) lies under it's massive body. They might even decide to change the colour!

Edited by allanp

After the excellent 2016 2h sets, I'm very disappointed with the 2017 sets. It looks to me as if the 2016 2h sets were intended for AFOLs and the 2017 sets for (little) children. The preliminary image of 42070 is cartoonesque. I can only guess that children reacted positively to it in preliminary workshops and consider the big wheels and the colour cool. To me it looks horrible and I would not consider buying it except for the parts. If my theory is right we AFOLs will have to wait for 2018 for the worthy successors of the 2016 Claas, Porsche, Volvo sets ... :look:

I'm really excited about 42068 Fire Rescue Vehicle set becouse I'm a big fan of Fire Engines :blush: 
My thoughs are this isn't going to be airport fire engine like 42051 was.. Fire Rescue Vehicle doesnt sounds like it must be an airport fire truck (again). I hope it's gonna be huge truck, some classic civil fire truck (maybe Mercedes Benz Atego if they continue with license), or maybe some terrain special fire engine like MB Zetros :wub: The Real one has all-wheel drive, and It is serious Fire and Rescue Vehicle :) Dream on!

Spoiler

zetros_fire_rescue_multimedia_wallpaper_

Image of Zetros Fire Rescue truck is too big so I put it on spoiler window ;)

Edited by svk_nero
Putting Image into spoiler

When did Lego community become so....priviliged and hard to please.

This is the first lego 6x6 and its remote controlled! Its a successor to 9398 with bigger wheels more parts and more pieces in new azure color. I for one like to see a bit more colorfull models, not everything being just white black or orange. And for everyone critisizing they look too chilidsh...did you happen to see that mysterious 11+ number thingy on the box? Yes it says 11 (ELEVEN) not 41, so can you guess the target audience? And who says Lego has to please AFOLs in every single way? Let them please some kids too for a change. They sure seem to be pleasing my inner child, I plan to get the 6x6 for sure!

Edited by Zero (Zblj)

Whoo I wonder what type of red angle connector that teddy is sitting on.

#3, at least four of 'em in the thing

3 minutes ago, svk_nero said:

I'm really excited about 42068 Fire Rescue Vehicle set becouse I'm a big fan of Fire Engines :blush: 
My thoughs are this isn't going to be airport fire engine like 42051 was.. Fire Rescue Vehicle doesnt sounds like it must be an airport fire truck (again). I hope it's gonna be huge truck, some classic civil fire truck (maybe Mercedes Benz Atego if they continue with license), or maybe some terrain special fire engine like MB Zetros :wub: The Real one has all-wheel drive, and It is serious Fire and Rescue Vehicle :) Dream on!

Hide contents

That picture is remarkably similar in base vehicle type to 42070.

12 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

After the excellent 2016 2h sets, I'm very disappointed with the 2017 sets. It looks to me as if the 2016 2h sets were intended for AFOLs and the 2017 sets for (little) children. The preliminary image of 42070 is cartoonesque. I can only guess that children reacted positively to it in preliminary workshops and consider the big wheels and the colour cool. To me it looks horrible and I would not consider buying it except for the parts. If my theory is right we AFOLs will have to wait for 2018 for the worthy successors of the 2016 Claas, Porsche, Volvo sets ... :look:

I agree with you!

Looking at the 42070's pic using a picture editing program I noticed following things:

- Front wheels seem to be attached to the portal hubs, so they are most likely driven too

- The front axle may not be suspended, if you are using a smilliar setup in the rear as Arocs, there is really no need to suspend the front axle, since the rrear pairs do all the flexing.

- As mentioned before I am pretty sure the rear axles use a simillr suspension as the Arocs in the rear.

- Obviously the headlights are the bent transparent panels used as a windshield in the BMW bike.

- There's barely visible licence plate in the front, but I cant make out the initials.

- There may be 3 seats in the cab.

1 minute ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

When did Lego community become so....priviliged and hard to please.

This is the first lego 6x6 and it remote controlled! Its a successor to 9398 with bigger wheels more parts and more pieces in new azure color. I for one like to see a bit more colorfull models, not everything being just white black or orange. And for everyone critisizng they look too chilidsh...did you happen to see that mysterious 11+ number thingy on the box? Yes it say 11 (ELEVEN) not 41, so can you guess the target audience? And who says Lego has to please AFOLs in every single way? Let them please some kids too for a change. They sure seem to be pleasing my inner child, I plan to get the 6x6 for sure!

We've always been hard to please ever since being spoilt by 8868, 8880 and so on :grin:

It may be the first 6x6, but then a 6x6 isn't that hard to make. Lego has also never released a technic tea pot. Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't necessarily mean it will be great if they did. 

It may be a successor to 9398, but it would seem 9398 isn't so universally well liked, so that may not be a good thing. 

The azure colour is...well...kinda nice I guess. I never really liked it, I guess it's personal taste but the baby blue sure doesn't suit a military inspired vehicle.

It's been a while since we had a primarily black vehicle. The last black flagship was many years ago.

"did you happen to see that mysterious 11+ number thingy on the box?"

No need to be snarky. Yes, of course we noticed that. But the colour scheme is that of a babies toy and...well....we have yet to know what the internal mechanics are. Maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised. 

As fans of Technic, we all want to see it do well. We just happen to disagree on what kind of model in what kind of price and age range best achieves that goal. I personally think a set targeted at builders aged between 11 and 16 years would would sell better if it wasn't coloured like a babies toy and had some mechanical realism and cool looks.  If you like it, that's great. I'm not going to talk down to you just because we have a different opinion. I am glad you like it and hope you get lots of pleasure from it :classic:

1 minute ago, Zero (Zblj) said:

Looking at the 42070's pic using a picture editing program I noticed following things:

- Front wheels seem to be attached to the portal hubs, so they are most likely driven too

- The front axle may not be suspended, if you are using a smilliar setup in the rear as Arocs, there is really no need to suspend the front axle, since the rrear pairs do all the flexing.

- As mentioned before I am pretty sure the rear axles use a simillr suspension as the Arocs in the rear.

- Obviously the headlights are the bent transparent panels used as a windshield in the BMW bike.

- There's barely visible licence plate in the front, but I cant make out the initials.

- There may be 3 seats in the cab.

The licence plate is the anniversary brick.

42070 resembles indeed like the Ural - TruckTrial version. The tow arm and the headlights look cheap for me, other than that a promising MOD base. I like it a lot! :sweet: :thumbup:

There is a Bionicle tooth on the rear side of the cab, I believe it is a shifter like in 42054 - based on it's position. Changing functions by changing chanels on IR would be also an option to switch between drive, and towing functions.

Edited by agrof

Well, IMHO the pic doesn't reveal that much, at least not to have a well-founded opinion of it. The remote seems rather odd to me if it's meant for the "usual" drive + steer, while other functions then must be manual. So my piece of speculation: remote is used for non-drive/steer functions, with one port for a kind of sequential gearbox via servo, and the other for back/forward, in/out etc... . At least that would be something new...

3 minutes ago, agrof said:

42070 resembles indeed like the Ural - TruckTrial version. The tow arm and the headlights look cheap for me, other than that a promising MOD base. I like it a lot! :sweet: :thumbup:

There is a Bionicle tooth on the rear side of the cab, I believe it is a shifter like in 42054 - based on it's position. Changing functions by changing chanels on IR would be also an option to swith between drive, and towing functions.

Or maybe it's a function switching gearbox, like 8043 but switched manually between drive/steer and crane/stabilizer functions.

Edited by allanp

My guess is for that: switch between winch and tow arm raising/lowering - stabilizers and ... ?

Ok.. Ill aslo have to ask if someone can send me the pics by PM.. reading all this without the pics is very hard for me :laugh:

Thanks!

Disclaimer: I don't have the picture. Yet.

What if the final set doesn't have one, but two remotes like the motorized excavator? What if the image is just a placeholder (I would say so if it looks like the one on 42065)?

If my theory is (but probably isn't :cry_sad:) correct, the set could have three functions for drive mode, extending outtrigers to indicate changing modes and three functions for the crane. In my opinion, that would be better than manually controlling some functions and RC others.

Preliminary models could change. Simple remind the LeMans racer, and colours are changed really fast. I will wait for the nuremberg toy fair before i will judge the set in the dust.

Edited by efferman

I also would like to ask, if someone is willing to send me the pics via pm :classic:

Thanks in advance

Dave

I have seen it now and I expected worse. If these are Claas tires this set must be enormous and if RC driven there should me at least 2 XL motors in it. And I'm sure my kids will love this if RC