When I first built the 8043 B model (it's a RC tracked front loader), I was blown away by how it was way faster than the 8043 or 9398 or 42030, and I've always thought why TLG didn't make a RC set like that. Now I'm so tempted to get the 42065...

1 hour ago, Kmuffin said:

Sorry for my misuderstanding i forgot that some rechargable AAA and AA size batteries are lithium ion. I was talking about the LiPo batteries which are a quiteb ig in size.

The 42065 is the first tracked rc lego has ever prouduced for my thoughts. Im expecting to buy it cause I have few rc parts. Plus it has more black tracks which were only included in 42038 so far which i have.

In reality, LEGO has produced the 8275 and the 8043, which are both tracked and remote-controlled. But those are flagship sets, with a price tag to match. There was also a Mars Mission set (called "Crystal Reaper" or something like that), which contained instructions to add RC control. Now that I think about it, that one should give a good idea about the speed of the 42065, as I believe it also had M motors directly driving large sprocket wheels.

Regarding batteries, LiPos can be quite small, such as this one, made for miniature quadcopters. For approximately the same capacity, a lithium rechargeable (3.7 V) is a lot lighter than three NiCd/NiMH batteries (3 x 1.2 V = 3.6 V). While there are indeed AA and AAA-sized lithium batteries, they can't be directly used instead of NiCd/NiMH due to providing more than triple the voltage. The comparison I made earlier is about a rechargeable Li-Ion PF battery being lighter than an AAA battery box (which is the same size).

s-l300.jpg

34 minutes ago, nguyengiangoc said:

When I first built the 8043 B model (it's a RC tracked front loader), I was blown away by how it was way faster than the 8043 or 9398 or 42030, and I've always thought why TLG didn't make a RC set like that. Now I'm so tempted to get the 42065...

The 8275 is unrealistically quite fast, as it uses XL motors directly driving the sprockets. The 42065 should be even faster, as M motors put out more RPMs than XL.

19 hours ago, AVCampos said:

In reality, LEGO has produced the 8275 and the 8043, which are both tracked and remote-controlled. But those are flagship sets, with a price tag to match. There was also a Mars Mission set (called "Crystal Reaper" or something like that), which contained instructions to add RC control. Now that I think about it, that one should give a good idea about the speed of the 42065, as I believe it also had M motors directly driving large sprocket wheels.

Regarding batteries, LiPos can be quite small, such as this one, made for miniature quadcopters. For approximately the same capacity, a lithium rechargeable (3.7 V) is a lot lighter than three NiCd/NiMH batteries (3 x 1.2 V = 3.6 V). While there are indeed AA and AAA-sized lithium batteries, they can't be directly used instead of NiCd/NiMH due to providing more than triple the voltage. The comparison I made earlier is about a rechargeable Li-Ion PF battery being lighter than an AAA battery box (which is the same size).

s-l300.jpg

The 8275 is unrealistically quite fast, as it uses XL motors directly driving the sprockets. The 42065 should be even faster, as M motors put out more RPMs than XL.

After a few mins posting it got to my mind the 8043 exited and  i edited the post excluding the first rc thing and few other things  but Somehow eurobricks crashed leaving my post unedited. 

I havent known about the small LiPo batteries. I have some big ones which I used for my normal rc cars. I know that lithium batteries carry much more voltage. What will happen when using aa or aaa sized lithium batteries in a lego battery box? I want to know cause im not very good at knowing things about batteries.

LEGO motors are able to work with greater voltages than the nominal 9V (see Philo's comparison page for details), but not by much, and that reduces their lifespan. I don't know if AA/AAA-sized lithium batteries have circuits in them to lower their intrinsic 3.7 V voltage to the 1.5 V a device expects from that battery size; at least they should have protection circuits since, unlike other battery chemistries, lithium-based can get very dangerous (fire/explosion hazard) of overcharged or overdischarged.

If the battery doesn't have such a voltage reduction circuit, you should only use 1 lithium battery for every 3 "regular" ones, (1 x 3.7 ~= 3 x 1.2).

But at least the 42066 is medium blue instead of azure, right? It's a bit ambiguous to me from the pictures.

2 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

But at least the 42066 is medium blue instead of azure, right? It's a bit ambiguous to me from the pictures.

Yes that's definitely medium blue, fortunately.

People are actually liking the medium blues and azuuuures? It's usually flagrant disgust. What is happening here.

Quite surprised the ramp worked. I was thinking about that 42058 review where the bike could barely jump over the ramp.

16 minutes ago, Gnac said:

People are actually liking the medium blues and azuuuures? It's usually flagrant disgust. What is happening here.

What is it with the hate over medium blue and azure. I like those colors but azure blue not a lot.

3 hours ago, AVCampos said:

LEGO motors are able to work with greater voltages than the nominal 9V (see Philo's comparison page for details), but not by much, and that reduces their lifespan. I don't know if AA/AAA-sized lithium batteries have circuits in them to lower their intrinsic 3.7 V voltage to the 1.5 V a device expects from that battery size; at least they should have protection circuits since, unlike other battery chemistries, lithium-based can get very dangerous (fire/explosion hazard) of overcharged or overdischarged.

If the battery doesn't have such a voltage reduction circuit, you should only use 1 lithium battery for every 3 "regular" ones, (1 x 3.7 ~= 3 x 1.2).

Thx for your great advice. I have to say philo's comparision page has a lot of information I've never known. Your right on lithium batteries being dangerous one day my brother had his rc car fixed up with some new batteries but after 5 minutes of driving it the ar cacthed fire. There are ways to use only 1 battery in some things but I don't how to do it on Lego battery packs might have to find out.

Plus I have to put an end to this discussion cause it's off topic?

Edited by Kmuffin

13 minutes ago, Kmuffin said:

What is it with the hate over medium blue and azure. I like those colors but azure blue not a lot.

We still have some basic panels missing in colors we want (like blue) while TLG introduces same these parts in colors that we don't need.

Just now, zux said:

We still have some basic panels missing in colors we want (like blue) while TLG introduces same these parts in colors that we don't need.

Exactly.  We still don't have small long panels in blue, and I need them for my Audi!

5 minutes ago, zux said:

That's quite true. Lego has covered up some of them but there are some left. Blue is my favourite colour and when it comes to lego blue looks great in a lot of things.

Agreed. I disliked the introduction of medium blue in the Hot Rod, as we already had normal and dark blues in Technic... then came azure in the Dragster, further worsening things. That's also why I didn't bother getting the 24 Hours Race Car and its bright green elements.

1 hour ago, AVCampos said:

Agreed. I disliked the introduction of medium blue in the Hot Rod, as we already had normal and dark blues in Technic... then came azure in the Dragster, further worsening things. That's also why I didn't bother getting the 24 Hours Race Car and its bright green elements.

Medium blue would look very nice on some super cars.   I would love enough medium blue to make the '66 Ford GT LeMans in Gulf livery

I really like the opportunity to build in different colors. It's great that some new fresh colors are introduced next to the classic ones. I don't like though, when the color is introduced with a very small selection of parts, as in the Stunt Truck. I don't own any technic parts in medium blue, light green, purple etc. because they are of little use in such small selection of parts. I'm very happy that medium blue is used in the Race Jet though, because this is the first chance to get enough of the blue parts to use them in my own models. I will most likely not get any technic parts in medium azure until that color is used in a bigger set. 

6 hours ago, zux said:

preach

5 hours ago, AVCampos said:

i am hoping for more Dark Blue elements, the 2017 ship seems promising.

7 hours ago, Richard Dower said:

preach

i am hoping for more Dark Blue elements, the 2017 ship seems promising.

I would love to see a much darker blue in lego technic but before that We need more parts in dark blue. The 41999 was the only set with a good variety of dark blue parts and the 42055 has some too. The record breaker form 2015 had 2 of the curved panels but nothing else.

News!

edit: there is a time-lapse video of build on YT too, but it suffers of VVS (vertical video syndrome) + low quality, so I don't link it here - viva la resistance! :tongue:

Edited by agrof

The box is bigger than I thought! And the B mode even has a stand. If the B model is good I can be tempted into buying 2 sets, just like I've bought two 42053 :tongue:

Wow, what a huge 42063 box! Much bigger than expected and two BI booklets that look very good. They seem to be a little bit like the Porsche or Architecture BIs, with background information and again improved quality. If this will be the new standard, I would be very excited.

Great Job TLG!

Black rims, new panels in new colors and a bunch of new parts, I can't wait to get my hand on that set!

Little bit strange, that you can order the set already from Amazon in Japan but not in Europe ... 

After this review 42063 might be not bad for me. It does not pack a lot of things but it's not a bad choice for a beginner with bikes. The box is quite big.