MaxSupercars

[CONCEPT] Pneumatic Telescopic Boom

fassi-boom-crane-F215A-dynamic-F215A-e-dynamic-03.jpg

I had this Idea from the date the new gear rack housing and new thin long pneumatic cylinder were released with the 42043 Arocs. Few days ago I became offer to get the new thin pneumatic cylinders for a good price and opportunity to realise this Idea.

I like how compact the modern telescopic booms are especially on tow trucks or freight trucks. More impressive is the distance on which can they reach the load.

So here's my Idea. The pneumatic hoses are temporary and of course they can be managed more pretty.

My Arocs changed to Volvo FH16

Max

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

The Idea is about the telescopic part. Any other part can you reinforce with 2 pneumatic cylinders and you can also build in more pumps to get higher pressure. I used my hand to make all the things faster for demonstration...

Max

ok, the idea is nice but I think having that "wide" boom on a side simply bends/leans the all crane.

Also, if we talk about the lenght extension it doesn't seem there is a huge gain compared to other solutions. I made a 4 section boom within 5X5 studs for istance......each of your red bracket it's already a 3X2....so think about it!

But i like the fact people like you come up with interesting ideas anyway! Stimulates other people as well to be curious about it!

For me the idea is a good one but I think it is too impracticable in terms of aesthetics.

While we are on the subject of pneumatic booms I actually had a go at making a pneumatic "jacking" one.It sill needs improvement but I think it could work,I thought I had a photo of it but I can't find it.

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Great to see someone else is interested in this subject. I had my attempt to replicate this kind of crane in technic in the same scale, but I had a different approach. I gave up the realistic mechanism for some aesthetcs and that is where it ended up :

There is a tiny problem however... it has a bad back, can't lift too much.. :-D

Edited by Attika

Hi guys,

thanx for interest. I'm happy that someone is interested in the same thing.

@Andrea:

I was waiting for your response. Yes you're right, the thing leans to side. I wanted to implement the real pneumatic system. Where can I see your solution? I do not remember it.

@Alasdair:

I wanted to use one pnematic cylinder per section to make it like real. It's just demonstration. I know that in Lego world the copy of real thing are sometimes not possible and it is needed to substitute some mechanisms.

@Attika:

Thanx for your video. I haven't seen it. Great idea from you. I just do not like the substitution of pneumatics with string. But it looks really cool. Like real.

Thanx to everyone. And I contact probably Efferman for special telescopic sections suitable for pneumatics. I know that he made one 2 or 3 sectional.

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

Max I've stopped for a while working on the Fassi (some pics are on my bricksafe folders)

I hope in the following weeks I'll start again working on it....I'll send you pics in private.

Andrea

P.S. we both love these sort of cranes....we could work together on something amazing!!!

Edited by TheItalianBrick

Max I've stopped for a while working on the Fassi (some pics are on my bricksafe folders)

I hope in the following weeks I'll start again working on it....I'll send you pics in private.

Andrea

P.S. we both love these sort of cranes....we could work together on something amazing!!!

I was wondering what happened to your MAN TGS topic. The truck itself looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished product with the Fassi mounted....

Cool concept and keep exploring... As commented it is not always possible = it is always impossible :laugh::tongue: to emulate real life solution directly into LEGO!

Edited by 2LegoOrNot2Lego...

I was wondering what happened to your MAN TGS topic. The truck itself looks amazing, can't wait to see the finished product with the Fassi mounted....

time max....there is never enough time! Unfortunately we are not kids anymore and it's hard to find time to dedicate to Lego...but promise you this time I'll complete the MOC!