Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] Announcing 10254 Winter Holiday Train

Thank you very much for the press release, Jim! :classic:

There are still some things to critisize.

But having now seen the video and the official pics, I must admit that all in all the Winter Train does look really lovely and fitting very well in the Winter Village. :wub: :wub:

And since it'll be PF compatible, I'll buy one. If only bricklink or Ebay then would offer that caboose seperately for a reasonable price since definately minimum three of them are needed to have a realistic looking winter train! ...

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I'm one of the people that really love this train. I missed out on the first one, and really like the new design, but I will agree that I wish it was longer. So I decided to try mocking up what the new style of train might look like with the old style size, and this is what I came up with.

Because the old train split the Christmas tree and present bin into two trucks, the rotating tree truck (which is essentially tree and presents too) I've flipped in direction and made into a Santa "parade truck", using the big golden armchair from the Santa's Workshop set. The new train stuff below isn't quite built properly - I just rushed it together. I am quite happy with this, although I might have to get Bricklinking in time for Christmas.. and buy two of the train when it's released! I wonder what Lego would have charged for a train this size...

Really nice additions to the train Mouseketeer. I think the size of the train is my only real complaint with this set so I plan on adding a few cars to the train as well. Out of curiosity I compared this train to other trains for number of pieces and price. This train seems to be a really good value with the inclusion of track.

The bigger passenger car helps a lot, this version could compete with 10173.

How much is the piece count now? The length would be a half circle right?

The carriage as I've built has 206 pieces, without any interior (seats or lamps). The tree wagon is 111 pieces (plus three trees), and the present wagon is 113 pieces plus the presents. Not sure about the length, but I've already designed two more wagons to add to it, so I might have to look at shortening the present wagon, haha.

I don't feel the need for remote controlling the train. Just being able start and stop the motor would be good enough. But then I guess it will always run at a fixed (maximum) speed? Will that be too fast for the train to handle, does anyone know?

Mouseketeer, I see you did not add the original mini train cars. I also can't seem to manage to put the rollerskates under a jumper tile (both current versions).

I was one of the biggest complainers last year and I think it is only appropriate to voice absolute appreciation to TLG for releasing a proper new Winter Village set this year. I hope others do so too, feedback is good and after the negative we should voice the postive!

A different point: the designer mentions a reference to his favorite sci-if series when he discusses the spaceship toy. Any ideas which one that is? I thought first maybe Blake's 7 but I don't think so any more. But it's certainly not Buck Rogers or Star Trek and it is too yellow for Red Dwarf...

Great point. After the nasty email I sent TLG last year I will make sure to send them a positive one this year.

A different point: the designer mentions a reference to his favorite sci-if series when he discusses the spaceship toy. Any ideas which one that is? I thought first maybe Blake's 7 but I don't think so any more. But it's certainly not Buck Rogers or Star Trek and it is too yellow for Red Dwarf...

When you said this, I wondered if it was a Vogon ship from Hitchhiker's guide, due to the black and yellow striped colours. However I went back and re-watched the video and he says "inspired by one of my favourite space themes from when I was a kid". To me this suggests a Lego theme. His bio on the Lego website says one of his favourites was 6806 Space Hopper, so I guess it would be a Classic Space set from around that time.

I was assuming it was Blacktron I from the colour choice...

I think you are probably correct. Blacktron sets were some of my favorite as a kid also

Garbage. What were they thinking? Even the Toy Story train looked better than this one.

'LEGO makes toy for children' shock! :wink:

I don't really like this kind of comment. Actually it feels like you are insulting me. I'm perfectly aware that TLG makes toys. Do you really not think I know that? It just happens that I like some of the toys that they make while some I like less. This one I like less. It's not horrible, but it doesn't appeal so much to me that I want to buy it.

I would hope that nobody would be actively trying to insult someone over like or dislike of a set. There's plenty to pick from after all. Some people don't like the train and that's fine. Money talks in the end but IMO this set will be a great seller for TLG

This set is a little overpriced. I mean it would sell better if it was a $70.00 US LEGO set. I will still ask for this LEGO set for Christmas.

I thought so too at first but after looking through brickset I found the price per piece is completely in line with other sets.

I hope they get the four recommended power functions in stock by the time the train comes out. I placed an order for the train motor and the IR receiver now since they are currently on backorder until the middle of the month. In October, hopefully the battery box and remote controller will still be available so I can get those as well. Sales of this train could depend in part on availability of the four power function items when someone decides they want to purchase it. If one or more of these is not available, it could be a dealbreaker for some. Still no word on whether or not a packaged deal with the power functions will be available.

strange price setting UK > £ 70, DE > € 90, BeNeLux > € 105, FR > € 95. why?

Edited by Q3671

This set is very overpriced. For 90€ you got motorized 60051 with PF and a lot of parts for own MOCs!

The only interesting are the big red wheels...

Max

Edited by MaxSupercars

This set is very overpriced. For 90€ you got motorized 60051 with PF and a lot of parts for own MOCs!

The only interesting are the big red wheels...

Max

Not really a fair comparison but youre right that the value for 60051 is pretty great atm. If you want to do a fair comparison you have to look at 60051s original retail. 60051 has 610 pieces plus PF for 119.99. Compare that to 10254 with 734 pieces but no PF for 89.99. Add the PF parts to 10254 and you get a very comparable price to 60051. :classic: