Jim

[PRESS RELEASE] Announcing 10254 Winter Holiday Train

Unfortunately smaller than expected, but the inclusion of a full circle of track is a nice surprise when compared to the Horizon Express! Overall, one of my favourite recent sets, though I still wish it came with the PF parts instead of having to buy the separately. Who knows, perhaps it will be sold through S@H eith a kit option including the PF parts as well, like they did with the horizon express.

So now we need the Lego community to come up with additional ideas for train cars to add to this train. Personally, I think it needs some passenger cars for the Minifigs.

Maybe Eurobricks can make this the new "Winter Village Contest 2016".

Extend the train with a self designed passenger car.

Defintly a great addition to the Winter Villiage sets. I'm also glad they tried something new insted of giving us another building.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I really don't like this WV set, and will not buy it. The train looks too much like a toy for small children for me, and the price is way too high for what it is. The platform is tiny as well. If it was 20% lower in price I would perhaps have bought it and tried to modified it to something I like. Hopefully the Death Star will be awesome to make up for it.

The train looks too much like a toy for small children for me

'LEGO makes toy for children' shock! :wink:

I'm sure a UK AFOL at one of the Lego shows I've been to (Steam or Brick) had a very similar design of a micro train going around on the main train carriage. I wonder if they stole his idea?

Probably Jason Railton. At Brick 2015 in London he had a train and track displayed, where the train stayed still and the track (all straights) moved under the train...

I don't get the complaints of a small/childish/toy look alike train. It's obvious to me that it was something cleary intended and sought after from the designer. Winter Village has that naive/cozy feel to it, and this train it's not a exception. You may like it or not, of course, but to expect a 'model' instead of a toy look it's completely unrrealistic.

IMHO, it fits well with the rest of the Village.

Edited by Gongoro73

It is amazing, it is nice, it is more than lovely, it looks colourful and pretty, and very very winter and joyful, it runs on real train tracks :classic: and even can be upgraded with PF :classic: :classic: so, this will be perfect toy wrapped under the real Christmas tree this season, hurray hurray for my grandchildren, and while on the first day of Christmas we'll just play and play till late in the night, the second day of Christmas we’ll extend tracks through our living room, the third day of Christmas we'll take our Lego boxes out of the storage and make one passenger car for figures from previous sets, on fourth day of Christmas we will build a car with platform for Lego 10245 Santa with reindeers, then on fifth day of Christmas, oh, my God... and on the twelfth day of Christmas my true love sent to me, I mean, we’ll have one 10254 train, two MOC passenger cars, two additional cabooses, three small and one bigger train stations, very young grandma with new http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=85974#T=S&C=88&O={%22color%22:88} hair style, tra-la-la... and a Partridge in a Pear Tree. Honestly, this post about new Lego train is the best news I heard this summer, oh, forget the see and summer holidays, it is the winter I am expecting... :blush:

Edited by bjorkan

I'm not overly impressed. And the price point is too high for what it is.

Oh well, there's always next year. At least they decided to continue the theme, which in itself is great.

Next year's logical move should be to design a train station. So, those of you who are dissapointed with the train may find that next year you'll have to purchase two sets in a row (or miss two sets in a row). I would buy it, just in case. You can always sell it later.

Edited by Gongoro73

The link works, but the album wasn't public :tongue:

Fixed! Thanks for the heads-up! :thumbup:

LOL, That's not Brickshelf! :laugh:

Thanks for the fixing (too)! :thumbup:

Edited by KamalMYafi

While it does look like a caboose the designer actually calls it a passenger car in the video.. Buy 2 of the sets and expand them is probably what I will do

I noticed that too. But the product description calls it a caboose. I think there might be a disconnect between product design and product marketing departments. :laugh:

If you are going to motorize it, it'll be interesting to see how many cars the PF train motor will be able to pull in that setup. There doesn't seem to be a lot of weight on the front of the steam engine for traction.

Cute looking train but shame the engine doesn't have any pistons because I always love to see those things pumping away. Guess that would be the first thing to mod.

What a lovely little holiday train. Its quaint that is for sure. I am a bit puzzled by the choice of dark blue but at the same time it is nice to see some departure from a set color scheme. The style reminds me of most holiday trains with the over accentuation of the accents. The designers seek out the most obscure ideas to give them a sense of fantasy. While many tend to be outlandish the truth is this still passes for a real train. Yes, they did build locomotives like that back in the day. (Think early old west, like back when the transcontinental railroads were built.) It might benefit from the red version of the cattle guard/cow catcher on the front.

I wonder if the set includes the other 4 large drivers from the mold? If so, I may be tempted to pick up a few copies.

3D LEGO

Not the best Winter Village set by any means (I actually liked the rehash of the Toy Shop last year more)

Past the locomotive and the coal car to some extent the set falls flat. Also, not as many figures as most WV sets have which is also an essential part in bringing life to the model and adding that realism factor.

The micro toy builds this year are not too great this year other than the fire tuck and robot too.

Overall, not the worst but not the best either. :)

Not the best Winter Village set by any means (I actually liked the rehash of the Toy Shop last year more)

Whoa! I didn't expect to hear that from anyone after last years remake :laugh: Its good to see that there are opinions on all sides!

I am just glad to see Lego not scrap the winter village after last year. All indications were that sales for last years toy shop fell well under expectation and it would've been pretty easy for Lego to use that as reason to discontinue the WV line. I even saw some rumors circling the internet of exactly that. Thankfully Lego has responded with what I think is a great set for this year. I hope sales see a boost to encourage the continuation of the WV for coming years!

As I stated in the WV thread, I really love this set. I just think it's too large for our particular winter display.

No matter, we'll buy it anyway, and make it run around the tree using the power functions.

Still terribly annoyed though, that (as is the case with most sets) this set is 105 Euros in The Netherlands, and 90 in Germany! :angry:

I still think a narrow gauge train would have been better... But it's kind of a mute point since TLG hasn't seen fit to produce any n/g straight track. It looks like there is some pretty good building techniques in the model. :classic:

I'm one of the people that really love this train. I missed out on the first one, and really like the new design, but I will agree that I wish it was longer. So I decided to try mocking up what the new style of train might look like with the old style size, and this is what I came up with.

Because the old train split the Christmas tree and present bin into two trucks, the rotating tree truck (which is essentially tree and presents too) I've flipped in direction and made into a Santa "parade truck", using the big golden armchair from the Santa's Workshop set. The new train stuff below isn't quite built properly - I just rushed it together. I am quite happy with this, although I might have to get Bricklinking in time for Christmas.. and buy two of the train when it's released! I wonder what Lego would have charged for a train this size...

cg22eoih9l6m.png

Thats an amazing design! Be sure to post it when its in physical bricks. It looks good! :classic::thumbup:

Edited by Legocity2713

I really like the train! I plan t get one or two. @mouseketeer... I really like your car with Santa and the Christmas tree, I might have to "borrow" that idea (hope you don't mind).

Andy D