Sign in to follow this  
mpfirnhaber

Prototype Lego sound brick

28284571473_8861d152a5_h.jpg

A fun BrickLink purchase :)

The external board is wired straight to the internal board. It plays the "doorbell then dog bark" sound from the brick in set 5771 - Hillside House.

Searching the number on the chip (39VF020) reveals it's a simple flash memory chip.

The board (AMA9AA) brings up pages from a Chinese company, Alpha Microelectronics, thatseems to specialize in voice/sound synthesizing hardware. There are references to software called EZSpeech and FlashWriter. There are download links for the software on their website, but they are password protected.

Oh well. I never truly thought I could program my own sound bricks. I bought this as a novelty - and I think it will remain a novelty :)

wow that's cool. I have a light brick from the old 8894 Piraka Stronghold that's pretty cool but never knew there was a sound brick. would probably program one to play The Avengers Theme behind my Super Heroes minifgs.

Thats a very interesting purchase, with quite a few opportunities for use in MOCs. There should be a way to program it, or at very least use a different flash memory chip to add your own sone effects, though that would swapping the one which is currently attached to it.