polarstein

[MOC] Architecture studies - modern office buildings

Hi all,

I thought I show you a small collection with three MOCs of modern office buildings I did recently after buying the Architecture Studio set plus a few extra pieces.

All in micro scale or somewhere between micro and minifig.

The first one is inspired by Centra Metropark in New Jersey, an award winning office building from KPF architects: http://www.kpf.com/p...ntra-metropark

28457705756_7ffcb906dd_c.jpgCentra Metropark micro by Polar Stein, on Flickr

The second one is not based on a real building to my knowledge but inspired by some design studies I found on Google. I call this Box L as the white body is in the shape of an L with a rectangular glass box cutting through it.

28028779584_38fb03c730_c.jpgBox L office building micro by Polar Stein, on Flickr

The third one is a free creation where I wanted to do diagonal wings in the form of an Y. I then added another box. From the top it almost looks like a Yen symbol, so I could declare it as a future building for the Bank of Japan :grin:

28707799541_eb79347bcb_c.jpgBox Y glass office micro by polarstein, auf Flickr

More pics at other angles on Flickr.

I'm tempted to try one in minifig scale, maybe Centra Metropark, but I'm not yet convinced. Could be too difficult to get a good balance at larger scale and may stretch my brick inventory too much. I would need to rip apart the monorail station in any case. Or I may play around with some other designs first as I want to use the four floor high elevator shaft as a visible design element. Let me know what you think. Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Cheers,

Polarstein

edit: third picture exchanged with the one where the shape is easier to see

Edited by polarstein

Great job! My favourite is the one second from the top. It has some good parts usage and building techniques combined with some excellent presentation and composition in how the MOC is built and positioned on the base. Great title with the future bank of Japan! I think the bank could be improved by having only the part that the actual structure is resting on tiled, and having the rest without tiles. Like the Box L one.

Overall, a series of excellent micro builds!

These look amazing! I am really impressed how so simple elements can create so creative and unexpected textures. Great work. More of this, please :classic::thumbup:

Your micro-builds are awesome!! Great job catching the original architectural expression... The first one is my favorite, being in this micro scale, it's fully recognizable. I would have nothing to add! Well done!!! :wink:

Great job! [...] I think the bank could be improved by having only the part that the actual structure is resting on tiled, and having the rest without tiles. Like the Box L one.

Overall, a series of excellent micro builds!

Thanks! Yeah, I'm trying both as sometimes I like the clean no studs more and sometimes think that visible studs improve the look.

Great work. More of this, please :classic::thumbup:

Thanks! I'm definitely enjoying those clean small builds and will try to experiment more with techniques over time.

These are great models and display pieces. I particularly like the "light" look of them, color-wise.

Thanks! Unfortunately, they only go together in the digital world as I had to use the bricks sequentially, but agree it would be nice to display ten or more of these.

this is brilliant MOC

Thanks!

Your micro-builds are awesome!! Great job catching the original architectural expression...

Thanks! I was quite surprised how quickly those designs emerge from the bricks.

Really like it, especially the last one. It is so great how many possibilities one gets from the limited pieces in the Studio set.

One suggestion, sometimes it looks better if you can hide the white studs going in to the transparent bricks (hide with tiles). I am often too lazy myself to do that, because it often gets much more complicated with plates instead of bricks and you need other anchoring points. Also in your first pic it will be too thick maybe.

Really like it, especially the last one. It is so great how many possibilities one gets from the limited pieces in the Studio set.

One suggestion, sometimes it looks better if you can hide the white studs going in to the transparent bricks (hide with tiles). I am often too lazy myself to do that, because it often gets much more complicated with plates instead of bricks and you need other anchoring points. Also in your first pic it will be too thick maybe.

Thanks Askan! I had a look through your Photobucket pages. A very impressive collection of architecture MOCs with awesome lighting and an endless number of clean designs! :cry_happy: Wow. Some of your MOCs are jaw dropping. :wub: Thanks for giving me some inspiration to carry on and for demonstrating how much more is possible. Ohhh, I need to do more complicated builds next as the most recent ones were simple quick builds.

28505852564_27f26c821c_n.jpgGlass Office The Needle - Micro by Polar Stein, on Flickr

28841197110_a58f993179_n.jpgGlass Office The Wave - Micro by Polar Stein, on Flickr

Edited by polarstein

Thanks Askan! I had a look through your Photobucket pages. A very impressive collection of architecture MOCs with awesome lighting and an endless number of clean designs! :cry_happy: Wow. Some of your MOCs are jaw dropping. :wub: Thanks for giving me some inspiration to carry on and for demonstrating how much more is possible. Ohhh, I need to do more complicated builds next as the most recent ones were simple quick builds.

Thanks, that is very kind :)

The Glass office is brilliant! Great work!

Here's my final building for now. With this MOC I feel that my appetite for small scale modern office buildings is saturated, at least for the time being. Hence the name "Last Glass Office". The building started with the top floor which I wanted to do on a column on one end but then struggled to achieve a balanced design for the whole building.

29290709505_9316a51bce_z.jpgLast Glass Office - Micro by Polar Stein, on Flickr