Klaus-Dieter

2017 City Sets - Rumours and Discussion

I LOVE the sound of that 'Pizza Delivery Truck', that sounds excellent and I certainly can't wait to have pizza delivery be available to my minifigs. I imagine that it and the Friends Hot-Dog Van when I eventually pick that up will experience some competition. :classic:

The 'Bank Robbery' sounds like it might have some potential, but I'll have to wait and see pictures. It seems like it might be a more kid-friendly, action-orientated version of the Brick Bank.

Whole police line looks like rehash. Yeah new designs and all but still the same ideas.
Like how they litteraly swaped robbers on motorcycles with police in one set...

The Pizza Van looks decent, I hope it will look better on finished pics.

I like the Ferrari-esc sports car in the high speed chase. Pizza Van is the only set I might buy. The bank robbery could be a good set, but they ruin it by putting too much of the parts into the police van and helicopter. If they replaced the van with a motorcycle, left off one police fig, and put those resources into making a nicer bank with some actual employees it might be worth buying. It would also look better if the crook bulldozer was yellow and more realistic, seriously the crooks steel a dozer and paint red so its extra identifiable? 

1 hour ago, Lordofdragonss said:

Whole police line looks like rehash. Yeah new designs and all but still the same ideas.
Like how they litteraly swaped robbers on motorcycles with police in one set...

The Pizza Van looks decent, I hope it will look better on finished pics.

I'm not surprised. 60047 Police Station was ranked 3 in the 2015 top sellers list. So, they just went for it again. The 2017 one looks very similar.

It's like the Frozen Palace

Lego-60047-Police-Station-city-7.jpg

Lots and lots of rehashes in the Police line. Starter set looks exactly like the one from 2011, from the ATM to the ATV. The little quad set is very basic to say the least.

The Helicopter Chase and Bank Robbery are again almost exact replicas of their 2011 counterparts, except this time the Bank comes with some sort of snowplow or something.

The Police Station, at least, is very interesting. It's probably the strangest looking City building ever in terms of layout. Too bad it looks like there are only five figures for what will surely be a $100 set.

The Pizza Van looks pretty good, it's yellow and red and built like a food truck.

Overall, not feeling this wave.

10 minutes ago, BrickHat said:

I missed the sets at the bottom. Really like that new sail!

Where did you see pictures?!

2 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

Lots and lots of rehashes in the Police line. [...] Overall, not feeling this wave.

I agree with almost everything you said.

I saw the pics earlier today, and while I think that a lot of them COULD evolve into something interesting in their final version, there is not even one set that I currently want to buy.

The tiger shall now give his opinion on first wave Lego City 2017.

Rehashes and a lame police station, a total backwards step - sorry no sale, good I can spend that money on the blue truck with loader and pizza van.

I need to see more pictures of the bank to decide and it has a rehashed riot van from a few years ago ?

Some of the vehicles look half baked, I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by what I see and I pray that the second half wave will be much better.

50 minutes ago, lightningtiger said:

The tiger shall now give his opinion on first wave Lego City 2017.

Rehashes and a lame police station, a total backwards step - sorry no sale, good I can spend that money on the blue truck with loader and pizza van.

I need to see more pictures of the bank to decide and it has a rehashed riot van from a few years ago ?

Some of the vehicles look half baked, I'm sorry but I'm not impressed by what I see and I pray that the second half wave will be much better.

Well, the leak pictures are just preliminary pictures and sometimes the final products looks very different from the preliminary pictures, so I can expect the final sets to be different.

8 minutes ago, ArmstrongYong said:

Well, the leak pictures are just preliminary pictures and sometimes the final products looks very different from the preliminary pictures, so I can expect the final sets to be different.

The colors and such tend to change, but it's not often that the leaks and final products differ greatly in terms of design. We can see that pretty clearly with the fishing boat for whom high quality, unmarked pics already exist that there are minimal, if any differences with the design.

The pizza van looks very good to me! I'm not interested in the other sets. Maybe the truck with catamaran but nothing in the police theme is appealing to me and great véhicules are not so great ^^ I will save money to work on the roads of my city ;) I need lot of 7280 and 7281 !

1 hour ago, sebitsena said:

The pizza van looks very good to me! I'm not interested in the other sets. Maybe the truck with catamaran but nothing in the police theme is appealing to me and great véhicules are not so great ^^ I will save money to work on the roads of my city ;) I need lot of 7280 and 7281 !

I agree, that pizza food truck looks really nice. I'm actually giving a thought to collecting Lego food trucks and hope more are on the way.

Wow is it just me or does it look like the designers have become more and more lazy, seriously the bank robbery looks like a half arsed take of 3661 from 20111, overall it's a rather lack lustre offering and I can see myself getting a maximum of 3 small sets , I am glad though as it means I will have more money to spend on Japanese N Scale than wasting it on LEGO. The Pizza Van looks okay as well as the Catamaran and SUV, the recreational fishing boat looks like a decent design, but when it comes to the rest I won't be wasting my time or money. 

On 9/24/2016 at 9:07 PM, Steinkopf said:

Wow is it just me or does it look like the designers have become more and more lazy, seriously the bank robbery looks like a half arsed take of 3661 from 20111, overall it's a rather lack lustre offering and I can see myself getting a maximum of 3 small sets , I am glad though as it means I will have more money to spend on Japanese N Scale than wasting it on LEGO. The Pizza Van looks okay as well as the Catamaran and SUV, the recreational fishing boat looks like a decent design, but when it comes to the rest I won't be wasting my time or money. 

I think I'd argue that it's the IDEAS that are lazy, not the designs. The set designs seem interesting and modern and well-thought out, as we expect from TLG these days. It's just that the the City theme as a whole has become so repetitive and dull. Helicopters, vehicle transporters, and of course, more police. But hey, a bank! That's an honest-to-goodness BUILDING that's not a police station or a fire station. Of course, the context of the bank is a police set, but hey, I'm trying to be positive here. It's weird that TLC went something like 25 years without making a bank, and now they've made 3 or 4 in the past 5 years. 

Is Lego really to blame though? Any Lego city needs a police station, helicopters, and so on. If they stopped releasing them, people would complain that they can't make their own cities without paying ridiculous aftermarket prices, not to mention that little kids love police sets.

Edited by BrickHat

2 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Is Lego really to blame though? Any Lego city needs a police station, helicopters, and so on. If they stopped releasing them, people would complain that they can't make their own cities without paying ridiculous aftermarket prices, not to mention that little kids love police sets.

Why can't they just continue to make the older set instead of continually re-releasing it?  Sure. Have a police station on the shelves all the time. But don't spend all that design time recreating it so often!

33 minutes ago, Sarah said:

Why can't they just continue to make the older set instead of continually re-releasing it?  Sure. Have a police station on the shelves all the time. But don't spend all that design time recreating it so often!

Because retailers WANT a new police station on shelves every year. They don't want to have to devote shelf space to a set that's a whole year (or more) out of date when a new police station would sell much better.

45 minutes ago, Sarah said:

8 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

Because retailers WANT a new police station on shelves every year. They don't want to have to devote shelf space to a set that's a whole year (or more) out of date when a new police station would sell much better.

Some parts and prints also come out of production and inflation plays a role in it as well. The 2016 Death Star is a perfect example of what happens when a set stays on the market too long without any price hikes/part changes. 

Pizza Truck looks good, it isn't as over-sized as the Toy Story set, which makes me want to get the set. 

The 2017 police station is the worst seen EVER! Looks like it miss a baseplate too! OMG...! It`s downhill from now on. :thumbdown: The pizza van seems okay tho, with the two biggest Technic sets, but that`s it.