You have forgotten about something:

https://flic.kr/p/rbhi6o

I am very picky when it comes to credit, but... you want credit for the use of a 6x6 dish ?

What's the next step ? Someone asking credit for using a LBG 2x4 plate ? Oo

edit : the dish/radar seems to be quite an obvious choice given how the model is in reality : http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/d/dd/AT-AT_cockpit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130122180138&path-prefix=nl

Yes, yes... of course. And I haven't seen Sam, Cavegod AT-AT's... I just don't believe you... Our cockpits are almost identical. That's all.

I see two absolutely different builds here. I mean... ABSOLUTELY! :) So do I need to get my eyes replaced or is it just your interpretation of what 'almost identical' means? Or late april fools perhaps...?

I see two absolutely different builds here. I mean... ABSOLUTELY! :) So do I need to get my eyes replaced or is it just your interpretation of what 'almost identical' means? Or late april fools perhaps...?

Totally agree. VERY different builds.

It was great to see it at LLCA Star Wars days this year. You even got Mark taking some pointers from you. The interior looks fantastic and reminds me of the revealed interior drawings of Star Wars spaceships.

If you do make the LDD available, I sure would like to get it and build one at some point in the future. I don't have the space for one now, but hopefully come next summer, I will.

I hope you will come to LLCA Star Wars days next summer, and good luck with the Falcon that you are working on now. I am sure it will be just as epic.

Miro

You have forgotten about something:

https://flic.kr/p/rbhi6o

Yes, yes... of course. And I haven't seen Sam, Cavegod AT-AT's... I just don't believe you... Our cockpits are almost identical. That's all.

Apart from the fact that they are both AT-AT cockpits made out of the same color LEGO, and both have a radar dish for the access door, there is virtually nothing the same about the two builds. If you look at them side-by-side, you immediately see dozens, if not hundreds, of different design decisions.

I appreciate all the kind words everyone. Thia project was quite the undertaking, and I'm happy other people can get some enjoyment out of it.

One question. Is there any articulation in the knees? I can see that it bends at the ankle and hip, but I can't tell if the legs have to stay straight.

One question. Is there any articulation in the knees? I can see that it bends at the ankle and hip, but I can't tell if the legs have to stay straight.

The legs have to stay straight. This was the design choice I contemplated the most about but I decided to make them rigid due to two things: 1. the weight of the model is far too much for any lego hinge to handle(without needing to have the model attached to a baseplate at every foot) and 2, a strong enough joint would severely change the asthetic of leg, as it is only 2 studs wide.

I know LilmeFromDaFuture(did I get all the capital letters correct in that? haha) currently has a design for a 2 stud wide leg with a joint at the knee. Perhaps his will be able to support the weight of a walker like this.

I know LilmeFromDaFuture(did I get all the capital letters correct in that? haha) currently has a design for a 2 stud wide leg with a joint at the knee. Perhaps his will be able to support the weight of a walker like this.

Almost! The second "L" is capitalized as well :laugh:. Anyway, indeed I have a Technic ratcheted joint in each leg, but to prevent them from being collapsed on by the immense weight, or wobbly legs with the lack of two, I implemented Mixel ball joints at the front opening of the knee. However, because of the limited positions in which the joint can be angled, it is only possible for the walker to stand leveled if all legs are bent :sad:

28782932280_df8a045668.jpgLego AT-AT Joint by LiLmeFromDaFuture, on Flickr

Edited by LiLmeFromDaFuture

However, because of the limited positions in which the joint can be angled, it is only possible for the walker to stand leveled if all legs are bent :sad:

Can't you compensate for the height by rotating other legs differently, at the hip?

Can't you compensate for the height by rotating other legs differently, at the hip?

Originally, I was hoping for that, but with the Technic turntable (which I need, so it does not wobble around without being attached to a base), it could not be done; having the same minimal increments, as the ratcheted joint, in 15Āŗ.

Hi again!

Do you have double joints in "shoulders/hips" and "knees/elbows"? Your AT AT seems to be heavier than mine (probably it is, more than 6 kg) and I had a catastrophic accident for using just one joint per articulation. I repeated the scene when the AT AT is shooted down by a snowspeeder in Hoth...

Hi again!

Do you have double joints in "shoulders/hips" and "knees/elbows"? Your AT AT seems to be heavier than mine (probably it is, more than 6 kg) and I had a catastrophic accident for using just one joint per articulation. I repeated the scene when the AT AT is shooted down by a snowspeeder in Hoth...

Did feet slide?

I wonder if those new caterpillar rubber dots (Nexo Knights) would help under each foot. I recently got them in an order and they don't feel very grippy, though.

Here with my much lighter AT-ST, the joints are way more than enough of course, however I've noticed very noticable bending as I only attached them with 2 out of 3 pins. I see LiLmeFromDaFuture attached 2 pins as well, but the opposite sides so that should be better.

But that's where I would expect things to fail: mixing technics & plates. Technics bend a lot, plates don't. So in places where technic parts are ensuring the solidity & plates are only decorative, I would expect the bending of the technics to detach (or even break) the plates.

Is there a lot of bending happening on these AT-AT's?

Edited by anothergol

I have no joints at the knees. The legs are mounted still with 2 pins at the hips. I have tires under the frontmost and back most feet.

I don't have any bending happening on my Walker.

Edited by jhaelego

This is very impressive. The capacity, the detail, the speeder bike garage.. It is absolutely beautiful. Equally beautiful is your gray snowspeeder and its properly-deep inward angle on the wing edges.

This is very impressive. The capacity, the detail, the speeder bike garage.. It is absolutely beautiful. Equally beautiful is your gray snowspeeder and its properly-deep inward angle on the wing edges.

I appreciate it! I can't take credit for that snowspeeder however. It is Larry Lars' design. Look him up on flickr and you can find the instructions for it.

Wow! This is one of my favorite designs easily, I've always loved the AT-AT as a kid and to have such a detailed interior/exterior is wonderful. I know if you ever made the LDD available as you were thinking of doing you'd get my interest instantly (nudge nudge wink wink haha). Really though, I especially like the upper legs, it is cool and more accurate than the dish I have seen on other models when I look at the "real" deal. I also love the opening side door, does the motorized cable go backwards to fit inside the AT-AT when you slide the door closed or do you have to remove it? Simply amazing and I am blown away!

Wow! This is one of my favorite designs easily, I've always loved the AT-AT as a kid and to have such a detailed interior/exterior is wonderful. I know if you ever made the LDD available as you were thinking of doing you'd get my interest instantly (nudge nudge wink wink haha). Really though, I especially like the upper legs, it is cool and more accurate than the dish I have seen on other models when I look at the "real" deal. I also love the opening side door, does the motorized cable go backwards to fit inside the AT-AT when you slide the door closed or do you have to remove it? Simply amazing and I am blown away!

Thank you! The cable can completely fit into the body. In fact if you run it in reverse, it will pull the snowtrooper into the body, where you then could close the door. LDD will come soon, haha.

Did feet slide?

I wonder if those new caterpillar rubber dots (Nexo Knights) would help under each foot. I recently got them in an order and they don't feel very grippy, though.

Here with my much lighter AT-ST, the joints are way more than enough of course, however I've noticed very noticable bending as I only attached them with 2 out of 3 pins. I see LiLmeFromDaFuture attached 2 pins as well, but the opposite sides so that should be better.

But that's where I would expect things to fail: mixing technics & plates. Technics bend a lot, plates don't. So in places where technic parts are ensuring the solidity & plates are only decorative, I would expect the bending of the technics to detach (or even break) the plates.

Is there a lot of bending happening on these AT-AT's?

Hi,

the feet didnĀ“t slide, in fact, they even have the structure of the 4483. It was a failure in the "hips" and the AT AT collapsed forward, as I pushed it unintentionally from behind. As the legs are fully poseable, I had to strengthen the articulations (hips-shoulders-knees-elbows) with another set of hinges (as the original 4483, but doubling the hinges).

Best regards.