Sign in to follow this  
62Bricks

Aligning axles X to +

I need to connect two sections of a mechanism where the axles are aligned x and +. They need to be in the same vertical axis but not necessarily the same horizontal axis.

Right now I'm using one of the old 24-tooth gears with three axle holes. This works, but I'm wondering if there is a more compact technique that uses a part currently in production. I've been away from Technic building for a while and am not familiar with all the new connectors. Is there anything out there that will do this?

28780867626_53421eb089.jpg

After i search, i can't find any other parts that have that requirement. BTW, what will you build with that?

Edited by KamalMYafi

If you don't mind the axles being three studs apart, two of these might work:

4203493.jpg

As long as they're braced well, they should hold the 45° offset without too much slack. I sometimes use these when I need to actually undo a non-orthogonal gear arrangement.

After i search, i can't find any other parts that have that requirement. BTW, what will you build with that?

I'm working on an escapement. This will attach a pendulum.

If you don't mind the axles being three studs apart, two of these might work:

4203493.jpg

As long as they're braced well, they should hold the 45° offset without too much slack. I sometimes use these when I need to actually undo a non-orthogonal gear arrangement.

I'm not picturing what you mean

Or maybe one of many lifearms will do the trick; https://www.bricklin...P&catString=137

43857.png60483.png

I was hoping there would be one of these little 2L arms with both x and + axle holes. The connection needs to be rigid.

This is similar to my current solution:

28746956191_ec26a20f41.jpg

The whole thing rotates on the axle through the center hole of the 45-degree liftarm.

You can maybe use one of these types of plates http://www.bricklink...page?P=4263#T=C where you fix the axles position with a toothed bush. You can maybe even attach the liftarm of the pendulum directly on the studs of the plate and not need the lower axle. But it would of course have to be a liftarm with only pin holes.

I forgot about these! This should work:

28824543445_67a2cffaab.jpg

Thanks!

Any other ideas?

I thought about those wheels too, but the angle is 60 degrees with those

Maybe one of those +\o liftarms suggested, but with an 8 tooth gear on each axle to fix the axles in their position.

Another one to answer the general query (though probably not helpful for the specific application), is to take advantage of the different orientations of the smooth and ribbed 2M axle joiners, along with a shifter ring:

untitled_20160808a.png

Edited by Gnac

Similar to Gnac, I would also suggest a ribbed 2m connector, but inserted between the studs of a 2x2 round brick, and that should be all you need.

Edited by rodiziorobs

You could actually make it super compact by putting a toothed bush at the end of each axle and just put them end to end. But the rest of the construction might have to be pretty sturdy to keep them together.