wooootles

LDD 4.3.9 advanced shading broken in my PC

Hi, sorry to kick this rather old topic, but did you ever receive an answer ? I just updated Geforce drivers, problem is still there. 

Perhaps anybody have some clue on this? 

Unfortunately at this point we are all patiently waiting for an LDD update. The last release (4.3.10) still has the same issue. I am not willing to replace my card with an older one just to get around this, but I was contemplating re-imaging an older machine I still have with an 8800 card, really an awful solution to get around this.

12 hours ago, teknix1 said:

Unfortunately at this point we are all patiently waiting for an LDD update. The last release (4.3.10) still has the same issue. I am not willing to replace my card with an older one just to get around this, but I was contemplating re-imaging an older machine I still have with an 8800 card, really an awful solution to get around this.

Well, you can blame LDD, but it's not clear if the problem is in LDD or at Nvidia...

1 minute ago, NastyPirate said:

I think it's LDD that needs to keep up with the new shaders implemented in Pascal technology, not the other way 'round.

There aren't new shaders implemented in Pascal. It doesn't quite work like that. Pascal has better support for newer graphics APIs through hardware and (mostly) software (Nvidia's drivers). I think nvidia changed something in their Pascal drivers which causes LDD to flip out. However, I don't know if the change in the drivers is good (in other words, it fixed something that did not work correctly before) and LDD should fix it because the behaviour of the driver has changed. Or if the driver now has a new bug which causes LDD to misbehave while LDD does its job just fine.

I think it's the latter, but it could just as well be the first one. I'm not that knowledgeable to figure that out :tongue: I did file a bug report at nvidia quite a while ago, but never heard anything about it.

By shaders, I didn't mean shaders per se; just the newer technology in general. I really don't think nvidia will bother with just an application misbehaving, even more so now that LDD is no longer supported.

I had also filed a bug report to nvidia, but same as you, no answer.

I hear you, could be either way. LDD works on older cards,  why would it not work on the 10XX series? I'm sure this could be fixed by either party. Either by a work around by one or a proper fix by the other.

I have to wonder if we should expect an update to LDD. The news that it was no longer in development (or supported) came out before 4.3.10 was released, maybe that's the last version we'll ever get? Hope not.

One thing I also thought of trying was using a USB video card for LDD development. I don't have such device and didn't really want to spend because of a software bug. Maybe I could return it if it didn't work. 

On 21.7.2017 at 11:21 AM, Legorides said:

Hi, sorry to kick this rather old topic, but did you ever receive an answer ? I just updated Geforce drivers, problem is still there. 

Perhaps anybody have some clue on this? 

Oh, i got one...

They wrote that they dont update the LDD anymore. So they cant help.

I still have the problem

I thought I'd let people know, I have tried using a USB video card, unfortunately the device uses Display Link technology which makes use of the hardware/drivers present on the machine for the rendering. I guess it's then pushed off to the USB device and to the monitor. So the problem is still present, I even tried to uninstall the drivers and use the USB device, I get the software renderer which is super slow and full of bugs (or just doesn't display right). So no go, don't waste your money on this idea.

I have the same issue on my new PC.

I run everything on Win10 and a 1080GTX.

I solved it with a workaround.

I installed VMware Workstation 12 Player and set up a VM with my old Win7 license.

Right there I installed the VM Tools with 3D Acceleration.

-> Here you go everything runs as well as always with outlines and everything. You can just drag and drop your lxf files from your host to your guest machine.

Set up takes about 30-45m.

Edited by SeptemLego

Ooohhh, I will have to try this. I attempted the same with Oracle's VirtualBox but ended up with the same issue. The key must be in the way VMWare does the 3D acceleration. 

Thanks for posting this! 

No Problem! I used only default settings during installation. So no additional magic is done here. As you mentioned I also guess that the VMWate Tools openGL drives do the trick.

I ended up buying a 950 card to run separately (both installed in the tower) from my 1080 and installed current drivers off of Nvidia's website v385.xx and outline mode in LDD worked OK. Same driver, 385.xx gave my model "distorted sharp triangles" with my 1080. However, just last night I updated the driver to 386.xx and now both cards don't outline properly. I rolled the driver back and the 950 was working again. Next step is to try and figure out if there's an old enough driver for the 1080 that will fix this issue. Anyone find a driver or solution to the problem without having to run a VM.

Edited by bjwhitbeck

6 hours ago, keverjeroen said:

I've got the same problem over here with a GTX 1060 card. Newest drivers, up to date Windows 10 and laters version of LDD.. :(

That looks even more haunted than your average haunted house. :tongue:

Keverjeroen or anyone else with this issue, Could you try something out?

What happens when you select all bricks (CTRL + A) and then click on a brick while you move the mouse at the same time allowing you to drag the whole build around.

Because when I do that, For some mystical reason it's all rendered the way it should.

After discovering that I really don't understand this issue anymore. (My Guess would be that it's a driver issue from NVIDIA)

The fact that I can't have 'outlines on bricks' on without rendering issues once a build gets to a certain size/complexity has made LDD unusable for me, I'm currently looking for an alternative as Lego won't do anything about it and NVIDIA won't care.

Suggestions are welcome, Needs to be LDD style of operation though.

6 hours ago, Sato said:

The fact that I can't have 'outlines on bricks' on without rendering issues once a build gets to a certain size/complexity has made LDD unusable for me, I'm currently looking for an alternative as Lego won't do anything about it and NVIDIA won't care.

Suggestions are welcome, Needs to be LDD style of operation though.

I personally love LDCad, to get 'LDD style of operation' you have to turn brick-snapping on and switch the camera mode to SPN mode. Not all is the same as LDD though and the learning curve might be a bit steep for some.

Another popular (and new) tool is Bricklink's Stud.io, but I personally haven't used it aside from a little bit of testing. Seemed to work quite well though, I just don't like some decisions they've made regarding the software/business, but that's a can of worms I'd rather not open here in this topic; that'll get off-topic way too fast :tongue:

Btw, you could try to submit a bug-report to Nvidia. I did that a while ago (for this problem), but I never heard anything back :sceptic:

I just bought an ASUS ROG GL702 laptop with a GeForce 1070gtx in it to replace my ageing MBP, but forgot about this driver issue. I've now got it, too. Grr.

MortesV's Nebulon looks bad on my new laptop with everything dialled up. When LDD on my 6yo old 17" MBP can open the file without flat-out crashing (which is why I replaced it), it looks much nicer on that than on my new PC... :hmpf_bad:

Ah well, at least I can find the irony grimly amusing!

I've used LDCad before when converting and cleaning up some files for rendering in POVRay, but I agree it's definitely a steep learning curve from LDD! Don't think I'm ready to start designing from scratch in LDCad, yet... 

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got some great news that's really mostly only of interest to the people who've been dealing with this somewhat niche issue:

It looks like the newest LDD Update 4.3.11 has finally resolved the issues with the GTX10XX Series graphics cards - My GTX 1070 SC card can now properly render even my largest files with the outlines turned on without any issues.

Just now, Daedalus304 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I've got some great news that's really mostly only of interest to the people who've been dealing with this somewhat niche issue:

It looks like the newest LDD Update 4.3.11 has finally resolved the issues with the GTX10XX Series graphics cards - My GTX 1070 SC card can now properly render even my largest files with the outlines turned on without any issues.

Can confirm, it works here too. Hooray! :pir-grin:

I was already over the moon about version 4.3.11 and then I stumble on this.... Been waiting AGES for this to be fixed. 

So, confirmed here also: v4.3.11 working beautiful on GTX 1060 (6GB). 

I hope Lego keeps it up, LDD is just too good to abandon. Wonderful!