Mister Phes

How does LEGO get transported around the world?

I've just come to pondering how LEGO is transported all around the world. I'd have to live the furthest away from any of LEGO factories which are on the other sides of the world (if a sphere can have sides).

So how does it get here? Is it loaded in to planes? Or shipped? I'm really hoping its shipped, because it would give a whole new reason to become a Pirate...

Yes, it is shipped, that's why LEGO has "Maeserk Sealand" promotion sets. Maeserk works (has a parnership/contract) with LEGO to ship and transport our beloved toys around the globe...straight from the factory.

If I recall correctly, there was airport in the Billund. That would be answer?

Things don't get shipped by air as its just too expensive. Almost all bulk shipping is done by truck and boat.

I'm really hoping its shipped, because it would give a whole new reason to become a Pirate...

I can just see the stunned Mersk crew as you board their ship while the rest of your crew keeps the cannons trained on them and demand they hand over all the replica mersk lego ships on board. :-D LOL

God Bless,

Nathan

It wouldn't be just the Maeserk Ship replicas Mr Norro - it would be any parts I deemed useful for my collection and if the Maeserk Ship replicas were comprised of too many of these newer colours they've soon be loaded into the cannons and be blasted back at the actual Maeserk.

Well, Phes, those Maersk boats are exactly the opposite - they mark the LAST run of Maersk blue, a very old color. ;)

Thank you Mr Buildur!

I do believe I have seen this set before but never the actual boat.

Well done!

Always glad to help out. ;)

And you are right. There has been a LEGO Maersk released in 2004, but they sold out in a couple of weeks since LEGO only made about 1,000 of them to sell. Now, they are extra consious about that. They now have a limit (5 per customer) on their Shop At Home Website.

That brings us back to the debate if LEGO did a better job of marketing and distributing their product then people wouldn't want to pay more over eBay.

E.g. The countless Black Seas Barracuda on eBay selling for over US$200, then I walk into a Toys R Us and see them on the shelf for under US$60. I should have bought a dosen and sold them over eBay...

talking about distribution of lego sets

how's the distribution of sets in your country?

we're almost june now and many small shops still don't have any star wars set

larger shops, smaller chains really, like intertoys, also don't have sw sets

larger chains like Makro, fun, dreamland, Bart smit, still don't have the complete series of sw sets in Belgium.

i believe Mr. Phes wrote not so long ago that he finaly has the catalogue, even though 5 months have almost passed in 2005

is it just as bad in the rest of the world?

talking about distribution of lego sets

how's the distribution of sets in your country?

we're almost june now and many small shops still don't have any star wars set

larger shops, smaller chains really, like intertoys, also don't have sw sets

larger chains like Makro, fun, dreamland, Bart smit, still don't have the complete series of sw sets in Belgium.

i believe Mr. Phes wrote not so long ago that he finaly has the catalogue, even though 5 months have almost passed in 2005

is it just as bad in the rest of the world?

I live in Russia (Moscow). I've got my local 2005 catalogue at 24th, April. I'm sure that it was in a few days after it finally arrived in our country. And this was really boring, because previous years catalogues were available not later than February.

I usually do not buy LEGO sets at small shops, because they are too expensive there. I buy either, at LEGO brand store (because they have Pick-a-brick, [seldom] good sales and it is close to my home) or at two or three shops which all have a good selection and low prices (less than MSRP for our country).

Usually, in big shops all sets are avaialble by the time which was listed in catalogue. SW sets are all here. We do not have S@H, but some special sets are available in the brandstore.

Yes, what is happening with the rest of the world?

I see the latest sets appear on eBay before they appear in stores. That's how I know when they're available.