Kit Bricksto

A-Wing Starfighter (Rise of the Empire-Era)

Hi everyone!

After DarthTwoShedsJackson postet his wonderful A-Wing Starfighter a few weeks ago, I felt the need to build my own. As you will see my design is heavily inspired by his build but I tried adding my own touch to the model.

I started of with a great piece of concept art of an A-Wing crashed on Jakku (probably) that I really liked. It was quite close to the original McQuarrie design like the A-Wings from Star Wars Rebels. Thanks to Inthert for finding the picture for me, you can find it HERE.

So, without further ado, let's look at some pictures and I'll tell you some more about the specifics of the model:

28662104532_58efc84f13_b.jpg

I tried making this model as smooth and studless as possible as it really adds to the feeling of the A-Wing in my opinion. And those of you that know my work know

that I really don't mind having visible studs. ;)

28767271465_6b6900dfbd_b.jpg

Especially back here the influence of DarthTwoShedsJackson becomes obvious. The engines I more or less stole from his model (hope you don't mind, Darth ;) )

but I changed the back of the cockpit as I wanted to add some more detail and make it a bit less bulky.

28767266345_4c535340cd_b.jpg

You might notice that my model is one stud wider in the middle than most Lego A-Wings. I felt that represented the proportions more accurately and also made centering

the forward landing gear a lot easier. And that is the thing I really don't like on my version yet. The landing strut is as bad as TLG's are and I will definitly go back and fix

that!

28662090172_fcc60e2553_b.jpg

And finally, every ship needs a pilot! And I don't like using a faceless, characterless Rebel pilot for my models. That's why I put together this character. She doesn't

have a name yet but the first fighter she flew was my T-70 X-Wing a few months ago and I am planning on using her for more of my models. I have a rough backstory

for her in the back of my head and I might get around to writing it down properly and maybe even build something nice to go with it.

Anyway, I hope you like my A-Wing Starfighter and if you do (or don't) please leave a comment below. I love hearing your opinion on my work and even if you don't like it, constructive criticism is just as good as praise! :)

Edited by Kit Bricksto

Yes, that's the one! Thanks for saving me the trouble! I'll link it in the main post right away. :)

No problem :D

This looks great! Very similar to my own, but I like your solution for the nose and rear of the cockpit, so I may have to make some modifications now.

20160216_213638.jpg

Great model and an arguably better username. :)

Haha, thanks! People on EB seem to really like the name. :D

This looks great! Very similar to my own, but I like your solution for the nose and rear of the cockpit, so I may have to make some modifications now

I must admit that I hadn't seen your A-Wing up until now. It's a nice build but I think the colours are a bit messy if you know what I mean. Building a Lego model with more than two colours can easily look like you didn't have the parts in the right colour. That's why a very clear structure for the coloring is often useful.

Hello, i like how you did the guns. I'm trying to get mine as well but how did you do it?

There really isn't that much too them. They're just two black bars (one 4L and one 5-6L connected with that rubber connector and mostly hidden under some cones and technic pins. They are connected to the ship with that megaphone handle and a white 1x1 with a clip on the side.

Hey Kit Bricksto, I real like your A-wing - especially the 5 studs wide middle section. I'll have to modify my own A-wing accordingly! :classic::thumbup:

Cheers! Glad you like it and of course feel free to borrow as much as you like. I did obviously take a lot of your design.

Fantastic model Kit! I have always preferred five-studs wide in the middle for my A-Wings. Your design is quite similar to my own with some wonderful new modifications :) You have managed to capture the larger size and different look of the early A-Wing almost perfectly.

13095418335_abb64a1728.jpg

Fantastic model Kit! I have always preferred five-studs wide in the middle for my A-Wings. Your design is quite similar to my own with some wonderful new modifications :) You have managed to capture the larger size and different look of the early A-Wing almost perfectly.

Thank you! I find it really creepy how many cool A-Wing models similar to mine I found out about after posting this here. I must have done something wrong when researching for this build as I didn't know your version until now.. :D

However I did know your B-Wing which is an excellent build!

I think I'll try and build a ROTJ A-Wing soon, too. The colours are just so nice.. :)

I find it really creepy how many cool A-Wing models similar to mine I found out about after posting this here.

I'm loving all of these A-wings. The more the better, it's great to see this ship finally getting some recognition.

Again, thanks guys, glad you like it! :)

I'm loving all of these A-wings. The more the better, it's great to see this ship finally getting some recognition.

Definitly true. It's one of the better aspects of Rebels if you ask me. :)