Sign in to follow this  
Dragon_Master_48

[MOC] Makuta, Lord of Oblivion

My first entry for the ongoing Bionicle contest, also known under the WIP name, "Destroyer God Makuta." Never before have I built a MOC this huge (totaling 618 pieces and approximately twice the height of either of the other models I made), especially not in LDD, so building this was an interesting experience for me- in particular, having to work with LDD's often-uncooperative hinge tools.

makuta_lord_of_oblivion_contest_main.png

Entry page here.

"This form of Makuta is not the form he takes to fight the Toa heroes. No, this form is the one Makuta takes when he has won. The last remaining members of the tribes of Okoto have expended all of their resources to stop this shadowy overlord and failed, and it has come at a great cost: the world is now barren and lifeless. Alone to rule over an empty, desolate world, Makuta wanders the planet in despair, having discarded the Mask of Ultimate Power, which is now useless to him."

Fitting for such a grim alternate-universe scenario, Makuta uses primarily dark colors with the notable exception of his chest piece, which is meant to bring to mind some sort of area of high elemental energy concentration (imagine Makuta firing a laser out of there or something, hence the rather open chest that somewhat resembles a futuristic weapon system). Although the articulation of the legs at the hips would likely be somewhat stiff and quite limited, there is some degree of side-to-side motion of the upper body (to an extent which I can't really guess) thanks to a simple gear/turntable system; of note, the way the extenders are integrated into the body was inspired by the torso of ddeklerk's recent WIP, "Lockdown," and in fact part of the reason why I decided this MOC had to be so huge in the first place, and because of this, there should be at least some leniency for waist articulation, unless I'm greatly underestimating the friction of the ball joints on the ends of those pieces.

makuta_lord_of_oblivion_05.png

This model can indeed hold the included staff, albeit not in a position like this, which involves some careful angle manipulation and the removal and addition of one or two pieces. Due to the aforementioned clumsiness of LDD's hinge tools and their interactions with Technic and CCBS pieces, this is the most visually appealing pose I could take of this feature.

I hope you enjoyed this MOC.

I don't think digital entries will be considered.

Also, the abundance of black amd lack of any significant contrasting color doesn't work well.

One of the mod in Rebrick said LDD is allowed.

------

Anyways, this moc isn't that great. I can't see the leg moving back-to-forth, noticeable gaps, and super spindly arms. The only good thing about this moc is the weapon and maybe the feet.

Also, the abundance of black amd lack of any significant contrasting color doesn't work well.

Similarly to what Square said, I specifically asked the Rebrick admin that question, and unless they misunderstood me, they answered in the positive; nonetheless, it's not much of a concern to me since I don't have any other chance of entering, so this is more of a fun venture regardless.

I tried a few other color schemes as I was building, but they all looked quite garish and unappealing, which is especially compounded both because of the size of the model, and the lack of access to piece 19087 (which is quite a staple of G2, and for some reason not a piece that was added to LDD as far as I can tell).

Anyways, this moc isn't that great. I can't see the leg moving back-to-forth, noticeable gaps, and super spindly arms. The only good thing about this moc is the weapon and maybe the feet.

I could possibly fix the leg movement issue by having the grey beam/ball connectors attach at different points, since the other connectors allow for more flexibility due to their attachment method, and likely aren't part of the problem. As for the gaps, those can't really be fixed due to the nature of CCBS armor and their connections (since the armor shells are rarely if ever flush, something which is even more apparent on a white background- you can only do such much when working in a digital medium to squeeze the pieces together, so to say, and without using illegal connections), and a lack of physical space in which to fill in said gaps, along with having to take into account the optimal front/back/side armor coverage to minimize excessive exposure of the "bones." And as for the arms, they're pretty much the same width/thickness as the legs, and fairly proportional (and perhaps even a little short, anatomically, though I think they would definitely look worse if they were any longer), so I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

I actually like how lanky it is. Very ghoulish. I'd actually recommend taking the wings off, as they're so small they seem unecessary.

Also, yeah, a little colour would help make it more immediately distinct, IMO. I like the purple on the chest, maybe a bit more of that elsewhere?