Dorek

Journey To One Makuta "Instructions"

LEGO was kind enough to provide us with detailed models of the JTO model so that it should be easy enough to build it now; at some point I might myself go and create step-by-step instructions, but this will more than suffice.

On my Flickr

Courtesy of LEGO (obviously), credit to the designers: Nicolaas Vás (Brickthing), Corvin Stichert (Vezok's Friend) and Niek van Slagmaat (who I believe took the photos, so an extra thanks!)

Sorry if this does actually belong on the contest page, but I felt at some point this was a big enough issue on its own =)

Thank you so much for letting us know about this, and thank you to Lego for allowing this to be documented. One last question- I heard rumors, but was it ever confirmed this was a 'combiner model' in any sense? From what I can tell, it looks like you would just need MMvSG, Uniter Tahu, Lord of Skull Spiders, and a couple of parts from other sets such as Onua Uniter and Umarak the Destroyer. All I personally need now is a parts list so I can throw it into Bricklink, but it shouldn't be too tough.

Seems like a fun challenge to recreate this! Can't wait to dig in once I return home to my Bionicle parts. I'm not too pleased with the idea of taking apart sets to make it, but I think I can hodge-podge it from my current CCBS collection and buy some sets on sale...

Thank you so much for letting us know about this, and thank you to Lego for allowing this to be documented. One last question- I heard rumors, but was it ever confirmed this was a 'combiner model' in any sense? From what I can tell, it looks like you would just need MMvSG, Uniter Tahu, Lord of Skull Spiders, and a couple of parts from other sets such as Onua Uniter and Umarak the Destroyer. All I personally need now is a parts list so I can throw it into Bricklink, but it shouldn't be too tough.

I've mentioned it in a few places, but yes, Mask of Ultimate Power aside, it is a combiner. The sets are:

LOSS

MM vs SG

Ikir

Tahu Uniter

Onua Uniter

Umarak the Hunter

Umarax the Destroyer

In my opinion this is one of the best combo models we've seen "officially" in constraction in quite a few years. I'll definitely try my hand at this and throw some of my own review-style photos up (and maybe buy a shapeways mask and do a faux-review style of this Makuta? Seems fun to me and would make it feel like I completed my reviews more wholesomely! I'd get a black MoUP though)

Of course, with that said, I also need to find my LoSS pieces...because he's not exactly constructed right now.

In my opinion this is one of the best combo models we've seen "officially" in constraction in quite a few years.

I agree. Thanks Dorek for posting this! If the G2 sets ever go on super clearence, I'll be sure to buy doubles for this. :grin:

In my opinion this is one of the best combo models we've seen "officially" in constraction in quite a few years. I'll definitely try my hand at this and throw some of my own review-style photos up (and maybe buy a shapeways mask and do a faux-review style of this Makuta? Seems fun to me and would make it feel like I completed my reviews more wholesomely! I'd get a black MoUP though)

Of course, with that said, I also need to find my LoSS pieces...because he's not exactly constructed right now.

Do it! Then we can also see how the Shapeways MoUP looks like in person.

I agree. Thanks Dorek for posting this! If the G2 sets ever go on super clearence, I'll be sure to buy doubles for this. :grin:

I would if I could, if I could even find any of the G2 sets. My Target only stocks Creature of Water, Skull Scorpio, Onua Uniter, sometimes Kopaka, and Creature of Jungle. My only hopes of collecting this wave is to win the contest.

I would if I could, if I could even find any of the G2 sets. My Target only stocks Creature of Water, Skull Scorpio, Onua Uniter, sometimes Kopaka, and Creature of Jungle. My only hopes of collecting this wave is to win the contest.

I feel that. My local Wal Mart ignores anything over the $17 price point. And even then, the three Toa aren't even stocked anymore. My less-local Wal Mart used to stock everything in 2015, but has likewise relegated Bionicle to three creatures and three Toa for 2016. Nothing else.

Best part? The three Toa and three Creatures don't even match. :laugh:

I feel that. My local Wal Mart ignores anything over the $17 price point. And even then, the three Toa aren't even stocked anymore. My less-local Wal Mart used to stock everything in 2015, but has likewise relegated Bionicle to three creatures and three Toa for 2016. Nothing else.

Best part? The three Toa and three Creatures don't even match. :laugh:

How? Which ones did they stock?

I went ahead and poured over these photos last night to build myself a copy of Makuta. I had to make a couple of assumptions when building him though, such as the internals of the staff and how the Ikir head and gold horns are set up at the rear. All in all though, the process was really fun, and the finished product pretty rewarding. My only two points of contention are the connectors for the shells on the top of his chest (which are very loose and hard to position right) and his very bare lower back.

LEGO was kind enough to provide us with detailed models of the JTO model so that it should be easy enough to build it now; at some point I might myself go and create step-by-step instructions, but this will more than suffice.

elt at some point this was a big enough issue on its own =)

I'm confused what do you mean by "Lego provided". Did they give you copies of the figure? Does that mean you have copies of the Mask of Ultimate Power?

I'm confused what do you mean by "Lego provided". Did they give you copies of the figure? Does that mean you have copies of the Mask of Ultimate Power?

I'm pretty sure he is just talking about the pictures. I don't think Dorek has a MoUP but if he does, i'm going to be pretty pissed that Lego would give it to certain individuals and not the rest of the community. But that seems unlikely.

So I read that for this Makuta model, you need pieces from LoSS, MM vs SG, Ikir, Uniter Tahu, Uniter Onua and both versions of Umarak. If someone makes the instructions, will he also include a parts list and a recommendation on which sets to get extra copies of? For instance, Makuta uses around 50 of Ikir's 77 pieces, so it's best to get another Ikir. Makuta only uses 5 pieces from UtH, so you're better off at buying those pieces separately.

So I read that for this Makuta model, you need pieces from LoSS, MM vs SG, Ikir, Uniter Tahu, Uniter Onua and both versions of Umarak. If someone makes the instructions, will he also include a parts list and a recommendation on which sets to get extra copies of? For instance, Makuta uses around 50 of Ikir's 77 pieces, so it's best to get another Ikir. Makuta only uses 5 pieces from UtH, so you're better off at buying those pieces separately.

And it's probably more cost efficient to buy as many parts as you can from Bricklink, especially for people who can't find sets in stores anymore. I am sure people have already made Bricklink lists detailing all the parts needed.

I third that. A parts list would be excellent to make an order from Bricks and Pieces for pieces I need. I'd prefer to not butcher most of my current stock of sets.

Yes VBBN, please do a faux-review of this set and a Shapeways mask! That would be a fitting 'farewell' to G2.

I hope to someday be able to spend the money to Bricklink this model. It will make G2 feel more complete to display Makuta as though he were an official set.

I went ahead and poured over these photos last night to build myself a copy of Makuta. I had to make a couple of assumptions when building him though, such as the internals of the staff and how the Ikir head and gold horns are set up at the rear. All in all though, the process was really fun, and the finished product pretty rewarding. My only two points of contention are the connectors for the shells on the top of his chest (which are very loose and hard to position right) and his very bare lower back.

Looking forward to seeing photos, especially how you contructed the gold horn area... I'm currently stuck on that.

Also, if you have a parts list, that would be great! I understand it you don't, though, because that would be tons of work, but I'm sure many members here will appreciate it. (I won't exactly, as I already bought copies of the sets required, but I'm sure others will appreciate it.)

Edit: Videos on YT have been popping up showing how to build him... Guess I can figure that out now!

Edited by legozebra

Well I know this topic hasn't been touched in a bit, just found this place! Wanted to give a little looksee here for you all on the MoUP on Shapeways in the black plastic. Here's a few pics, hope you all see what you like! ((Also the photos above on the Flickr look like that's the Gold Steel polished mask, which is available on shapeways too))

http://i.imgur.com/PUCKaAE.png

http://i.imgur.com/He6hbCt.png

The gold steel doesn't fit the standard g2 head at all, sadly, but that titan sized mask is perfect for the jto makuta model. every other official mask is just too small.

Some one needs to post a picture of him battling the Mata-nui titan from 2009.

The gold steel doesn't fit the standard g2 head at all, sadly, but that titan sized mask is perfect for the jto makuta model. every other official mask is just too small.

Some one needs to post a picture of him battling the Mata-nui titan from 2009.

If I had all the extra sets to build one, I would do so! I've got 'im all built up next to a few custom designed toa I made a few years back. And then some of the newer kits from the reboot. :P

Does anyone have any idea how to position the "arms" that hold the top shells in place on the gold part on his chest in order to make it look like the images?

Welp, after giving up on keeping all my sets together and building JTO Makuta, here he is with the Black Acrylate 3D Printed Mask. (please note that I didn't have Uniter Tahu, so I used a few parts from Uniter Onua and Master Tahu)

QmO61Z0.jpg